myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
BLM blinks in their range war
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never said they should be privately owned. As a matter of fact, if the feds ever gave them up, it should be stipulated that only a small percentage should be private. However, if California wanted to look for water, or NV wanted cattle grazing on the land, local politicians elected by local voters would have a better say on what happens in their territories.

The California Coastal Commission does a fine job in protecting our coastline. We don't need feds telling us what to do on our land.

Some of you might say we fought wars for this land. Well it took soldiers from all 50 states to fight, for all 50 states....equally.

PS, why does Hawaii, the last state to be added own such a large % of their state? Most of it still looks pretty nice, and serves the needs of its people.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevenbard.

The right wing here does not want the State to own the land. Their argument is that the lost revenue from that land creates a hardship for the local and state governments. Total BS.

You downstream folks should consider yourselves lucky that the watersheds near my place, at the headwaters, are owned by all the States and not only my State.

The State management of the land near me sucks. Too many regulations and limits on access. They treat it like their own private reserve.
J64TWB

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya Mon, coboard. Great point on headwaters. Couple of Dunkin Donuts and a strip mall or two on top of that mountain would be pretty nice though. Is that coboardhead as in Colorado? Where is ya? Thinking front range is a good retirement possibility.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frederick

Southwest part of Colorado. Four Corners area. Mountains and Deserts...lots of Federal BLM land. BLM management is highest use of any resource cause they leave us alone to play with the least restrictions...unless ya shoot at 'em.
J64TWB

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLM blinks, but FBI is not. Too bad for those armed supporters. Can you say jail?
uwindsurf

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
Why should one state be controlled to a higher degree than another?

Yes this is all about states rights. IMO, the constitution gave the states all the rights that were not specifically enumerated in the constitution. As you can see by techno's link, our original 13 states had little or no federal land ownership.

Of course after the civil war, the federal government felt entitled to take the land. Now there may be a few states like Utah who want it back....(and they should get it) I do not think our founding fathers had it in mind to control the land of various states. We must remember that in the beginning the states were considered their own sovereign nations.

As an advocate of State's rights I must assume that you would have no problem if the citizens of California legalized pot possession, sale and cultivation in violation of the Federal law? You would oppose any Federal action against anyone possessing, selling or cultivating pot in California?
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That has already happened. For $60 you can get a license to buy pot in California.

This federal government has already chosen not to enforce various laws anyway. Immigration, the ACA, and pot are just a few laws not enforced.

While I believe that pot is very harmful to people, I do not support prison sentences for drug offenses. I think recreational drugs should be a state rights issue. Most laws should be dealt with at the state level.

Certainly, gun, pot and abortion laws are very different from state to state.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23
Page 23 of 23

Jump to: