myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
BLM blinks in their range war
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nw30

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody said stealing from the government is okay macky-boy, Cliven Bundy should have been arrested for not paying his grazing rent before any of this got out of hand. But I'm guessing that BLM thought putting on a strong arm display was a better route to take, they were wrong.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have no idea what's really going on in this case. Bundy's son claimed in front of the cameras that they paid the million, Bundy senior say he doesn't recognize the federal government's jurisdiction and won't pay it, someone else claims the BLM publicly admits to having euthanized many of the tortoises in captivity because they can't afford to care for them, and round and round it all goes. Given the BLM's (overzealous) and environmentalists' (getting thrown out of federal court for INVENTING endangered species) track record, given Harry Reid's total insanity, given the countless similar old and recent issues of extreme federal abuse of people with titles to land the feds want, given some crusty rebels' denial of the realities of law, and so much more, I'm guessing we will never really know who's the most at fault here. I just wish we DID know, and that Bundy is in the right, simply because I believe the government has gone over the top in MANY such cases over the last several decades, and it's about damned time someone in the right stood up to them in the public eye and won.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, according to the government, they have spent over a million dollars, trying to collect a million dollars, that the rancher said he tried to pay. He says they wouldn't collect because they wanted his land back. PS, the federal government owns 90% of all Nevada's land.
keycocker

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was handled in a different way NW.
This is the fake version intended to provoke outrage.
They gave the guy breaks for twenty years instead of arresting him.
Lot of breaks.
They warned him for ten years they would come for the cattle if he didn't keep them on his own ranch.
He had his day in court twice.
He finally let it come to the BLM rounding up the cattle themselves and the fake press turns into an amazing surprise suddenly foisted on this guy.

Creating scandals with no merit is going on nonstop.
There is nothing suspicious about them creating a fake scandal during an election cycle.
Plan on seeing more misrepresentations as lobbyists write more checks.
Do your best not to be fooled.
uwindsurf

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
Well, according to the government, they have spent over a million dollars, trying to collect a million dollars, that the rancher said he tried to pay. He says they wouldn't collect because they wanted his land back. PS, the federal government owns 90% of all Nevada's land.

It is NOT "his land". It is owned by the government for the public. The only right he has is the right to use the land pursuant to a lease. He has no lease. Therefore, he has no right to use the land.

How is this guy any different than welfare surfer dude? Both are getting freebies from the government. I guess if you are a conservative that wears a cowboy hat, you get a pass and are considered a hero for stealing from the government. What a crock.
uwindsurf

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bundy refuses to adhere to the rule of law. He did not get his way in court and now he is claiming to be a victim. Boo Hoo. From a source sympathetic to Bundy:

"In July, U.S. District Court Judge Lloyd George ruled that if Bundy did not remove his cattle by Aug. 23, they could be seized by the BLM.

Cliven Bundy said, "If people come to monkey with what’s mine, I’ll call the county sheriff. If that don’t work, I’ll gather my friends and kids and we’ll try to stop it. I abide by all state laws. But I abide by almost zero federal laws."

The 2013 face-off was the second time Cliven had challenged Federal Officials.

You see, in 1998, BLM designated 186,909 acres of the Gold Butte area, where the Bundy ranch is a part of, as "critical" for the survival of the desert tortoise population.

Bundy had lost his grazing permit in 1993 despite his family’s long-time presence on the land.

That same year, 1998, a Federal Judge issued a permanent injunction against the white-haired rancher, ordering his cattle off the land.

Representing himself, Cliven lost his appeal to San Francisco’s 9th Circuit Court of Appeals. I know, no surprise there.

A simple man in a plaid shirt and denims, he's handled his legal battle from his Nevada ranch house, arguing in mailed-off court filings that his Mormon ancestors worked the land long before the BLM was even formed, giving him rights that predate Federal involvement of his cattle ranch.

Despite the court order, he refused to pull one head of cattle off BLM land.

"At first I said, 'No,'" he said. "Then I said, 'Hell, No!"

http://www.americancowboychronicles.com/2014/04/cliven-bundy-vs-united-states-government.html
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that the county sheriff, governor, and U.S. Senator from NV see it differently. This land had been in his family's use since the 1880's. There used to be 80 ranchers in that county. NOW THERE IS ONLY 1 LEFT. The BLM bullied them all out. Some for solar farms.
mac

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bard--you are clueless.
Quote:
There used to be 80 ranchers in that county. NOW THERE IS ONLY 1 LEFT. The BLM bullied them all out.

The government owns lots of land--and some of it in trust for more than just ranching. Other people have asked to use the land, and how it gets used depends on how Congress (not Obama) has established priorities for the use of the land. Maybe having it for many years at low rents was good for Bundy, maybe it was good for the County, maybe it was good for local business, but maybe it was bad for the environment. Quite often ranchers take very good care of their own land and use it sustainably, but abuse the land they lease. In any event, it doesn't create an entitlement to use it forever in the face of competing requests that may, under the laws that Congress has passed, have a higher priority.

With that said, my real issue here is the fake outrage from a fake journalistic source, posted by a witless paranoid. You bought it because it came from the right--without knowing much about it. How sad.
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, it made for some great "only in America" video though. "Freakin' heeee haaaww! Git ur gun Martha weez gonna rastle with the poeleece!"
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I stated was a fact Mac.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 2 of 23

Jump to: