myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Pt. Isabel Launch Work-Party April 19th
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windsrf

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Pt. Isabel Launch Work-Party April 19th Reply with quote

Inspired in part by Bill/Suba-rude's successful effort at Candlestick, several (nine and counting) of us have already agreed to meet at Pt. Isabel on Saturday, April 19th at 9 AM to work on various launch-site concerns.

There is a minus 0.7 tide at 9:45 AM that morning which will help with rock removal/relocation at the waterline. Other issues include either repairing the concrete steps or developing a more gradual ramp to take its place. It is also possible that a second launch/exit spot may be developed roughly 10 yards south/upwind of current launch, facilitating traffic, etc.

Helpful tools include pry bars, sledgehammers, pickaxes, sturdy rakes, shovels, etc. Gloves are essential. Waterproof high-top boots (Wellies, etc) also prove beneficial.

We will plan to post more info/pics regarding this project next Wednesday, April 16th.

Cheers, David
windoggi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Pt. Isabel Launch Work-Party April 19th Reply with quote

windsrf wrote:
It is also possible that a second launch/exit spot may be developed roughly 10 yards south/upwind of current launch, facilitating traffic, etc.

Good idea...up by the pipe I assume. Thats where we used to get in back in the old days. Also, what do the park people say about our efforts...or do they care?

windsrf

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

I believe the pipes are north of current launch? I was thinking of just to the south given how critical it can often be to start as far upwind as possible with side-on winds - avoiding getting washed down into that slough with no egress point. However, still not all the way upwind/south to that tiny sand beach next to radio station - bit too far to schlep gear at least for me. I've seen a few of us scramble over rocks where I'm envisioning just to gain an extra 10 yards of access/wind exposure.

Based on Bill's description of regulatory hassles he encountered at Candlestick I'm definitely in "don't ask don't tell" mode. He was going to bring in 3 tons of gravel at his own expense to spread, but regulatory agencies made that undoable. My sense is that if we are only moving existing debris/rocks around it won't be an issue. Installing new concrete steps might raise eyebrows though. I also don't think we could get away with placing cement bags as path under water, as was done decades ago at Marina Bay launch.

All food for thought.

Thanks, David
tomg

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI Many years ago (Call of the Wind days) I organized a similar work party. Just moving the shin-busters out of the intertidal zone. Not 30 minutes in, some crazoid dog walker lady started yelling at us and complained to the maintenance guy who happened by. He was cool but told us to stop work and apply through some stewardship process with park district. Needless to say I never did but the impression I got from him that day was...better to ask for forgiveness....

I'd also bring trash bags to pick up the broken bottles and other crap- that always looks good.
windoggi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission. Is than a word?
windward1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, "than" is a word.
windsrf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPdate: At least ten sailors have indicated intention to attend this Saturday starting at 9 AM. Please stay tuned for more info.

Cheers, David
windsrf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PI launch work-party is definitely on for this coming Saturday, April 19th starting at 9 AM. There is a -0.7 ft tide at 9:45 AM which will definitely assist with Item #1 of the proposed project.

1. We propose to clear more/most of the smaller sharp rocks at the water's edge below where the spread "silvery" gravel existing pathway ends (see launch pathway photo below). This area will be better exposed at Saturday's -0.7 low tide. Rocks are just large enough to threaten ankles and definitely are hard on the feet, even with booties. Although we don't have gravel to spread, simple hand removal/tossing aside should make big improvement - as was demonstrated at the Candlestick launch work party recently. There are also larger rocks just under the water that threaten fins and can probably be moved at same time.

2. We propose "developing" one or both of the two existing pathways/ramps to the right of the concrete steps (see Stairs/Ramps photo). This would involve minimal effort other than selected removal or reshaping (via sledge hammer, etc) of a few obstructing rocks. Alternatively, there are some interesting large concrete shapes that with enough muscle might be moved into more useful positions. Adding another concrete step at the bottom of the existing stairway would probably trigger "permit" concerns, so is not contemplated at this time.

3. If there's enough interest, a second launch/landing area just to the left/south of the existing gravel pathway might be developed. Sailors have tried to launch there in the past, but the photo below documents that there are some nasty rocks impeding access to this upwind spot - between my shadow and Brooks Island. All those rocks are potentially moveable. Access to this alternate and more upwind launch would be via the ramps described in #2.

4. Finally, we located an excellent spot to consider relocating the PI iWind sensor to. It's an abandoned pole within the radio station perimeter. Much better location than the current sensor location inland on the edge of the sewage treatment plant (pole photo also attached).

Please remember that gloves and wading boots are almost essential, then pry bars, sturdy rakes, shovels, sledgehammers, breaking bars, pick axes, crowbars, and even wheelbarrows all may come in handy.

Event will definitely conclude before Noon so we can all go sailing, etc.

See you there Saturday.

Cheers, David

P.S. Had troubles posting the photos so will try to add another post with the two missing pics.

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

PI Alternate Launch.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  67.46 KB
 Viewed:  13940 Time(s)

PI Alternate Launch.jpg

PI Launch Pathway.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  98.67 KB
 Viewed:  13940 Time(s)

PI Launch Pathway.jpg

windsrf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the two missing photos that were referenced in the preceding post.

Pt. Isabel Stairs/Ramps

Potential new iWind sensor site

David

[img]

[/img]

PI Stairs and Ramps.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  71.15 KB
 Viewed:  13927 Time(s)

PI Stairs and Ramps.jpg

Sensor Pole Candidate.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  51.95 KB
 Viewed:  13927 Time(s)

Sensor Pole Candidate.jpg

andydavis

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windsrf wrote:
UPdate: At least ten sailors have indicated intention to attend this Saturday starting at 9 AM. Please stay tuned for more info.

Cheers, David

"Volunteers" are further instructed not to carry ID, and to say that we are natural and original inhabitants of Point Isabel. We do not recognize the sovereignty of the EB Parks over our homeland.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: