myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Lake Ontario 5/19

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomctaylor

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Lake Ontario 5/19 Reply with quote

Who caught it this past Monday? Oswego was reading 30-40mph from 6am until 9pm. I didnt have enough time after sneaking out of work to get up to Ontario. Sailed a 100L and a 5.5 for 3 hours on Oneida Lake. Good time overall.

Kingston? Rochester? Buffalo?
windstoke

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read your post. I get up to Oneida Lake quite a bit and always wanted to sail lake ontario if conditions permitted. Where is the closest launch? I would be driving from Constantia (near Central Square.)
windstoke

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read your post. I get up to Oneida Lake quite a bit and always wanted to sail lake ontario if conditions permitted. Where is the closest launch? I would be driving from Constantia (near Central Square.)
us4846mmoran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom we caught it up on Ontario 5.0 conditions a few times in april May & June sailed Mostly Mexico & Hidden Harbor. Hasn't been good this year so far.

Windstoke there are lots of good launches On Ontario for W to WNW Mexico Boat Launch works well. Rudy's in Oswego & Fair Haven work well from WNW-NE.

Further North Southwick works fine for South to WSW. South in the Fall can be great

Best sailing October to December
windstoke

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANKS, I AM GOING TO BE UP THER IN OCTOBER, IF I CANCOINCIDE IT WITH A WINDY DAY, I AM GOING TO TRY LAKE ONTARIO
windstoke

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANKS, I AM GOING TO BE UP THER IN OCTOBER, IF I CANCOINCIDE IT WITH A WINDY DAY, I AM GOING TO TRY LAKE ONTARIO
us4846mmoran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windstoke

If you want to get out on the eastern shore of Ontario this October your welcome to give me a call. I live in Cicero

Just drop me a note & I will send you my contact info

Here is some video of sailing one day last october at one of our spots sorry about the poor video quality.

This day wasn't ideal. waves weren't that good bumpy & disorganized & winds were a little gusty & inconsistant 20-35+

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lwkV3fYncPQ

if this link doesn't work search youtube windsurfing lake ontario

On a good day with consistant 25-30 waves bigger smooth well organized

Hopefully you will catch a good day.
liv4air

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking for any good info for sailing Lake Ontario or Oswego from the Rochester, NY area. Moving there for 9-12 months and hoping to get some time on the water. Best months? Best launches? Appreciate any info!
winddoc3

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject: Lake Ontario Reply with quote

Rochester can be great in NW wind at Durand Eastman Park, and wind maniacs come out of the woodwork when it's WNW to NE. Webster is also good when it's W or slightly SW. I don't know how much ice is still in Irondequoit Bay, but that can be good when there is no W component, just a plain S or SE wind. With a more typical SW, lots of folks head to Canandaigua lake or even the state park at Geneva. Penn Yan is further south and can be real good w/a S or SSW wind but since the finger lakes are narrow, W winds are tough to sail (Geneva is widest and usually the best of the W winds of the northern finger lakes, but it's often gusty except w/S or SSW). Canandaigua has a sandy bottom and waist deep water and Steve Howie is great (he runs Canandaigua Sailboarding) and it's the best beginners spot. After all the ice this year melts! Oswego has good access at Rudi's (just W of the College) and I shouldn't forget Sodus and Fair Haven Bays on a S wind, the big Lake is best on a W or NW. Beware of the reflecting chop from the jetties if you launch too close to the W of the jetty at Sodus, and the wind is light or in a lull. Maybe it's good that there aren't that many sailors, as we usually don't have to fight crowds, but most of the sailors I meet have gray or no hair left! I wish we could turn more people on to windsurfing. Almost forgot, booties of some sort are a good idea since we have zebra mussels since the early 1990s, and feet can get cut up badly. (All the lakes). Hope this helps. If you are in ROC, lots of folks travel to Lake Erie for the SW winds near Hamburg.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: