myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
lugging gear
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
outhaul

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: lugging gear Reply with quote

What's the best, safest and most efficient way to carry an unrigged sail—8.5m, one mast (490cm 2 piece), one boom and extension down several flights of stairs (outdoors) without buying a gear/quiver bag? Oh, yeah, in one trip. No this is not a riddle, well maybe.

Last edited by outhaul on Mon May 05, 2014 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
gregnw44

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the mast a 1 piece, or a 2 pc. design?

Yes, there are still many around that use their old 1 pc. masts. The good ones from the mid 90's are lighter and stronger and have a better bend curve... than their 2 pc counterparts (all else being equal).

Of course... the industry went away from 1-pc. for convenience. And I have a bunch of 2 pc masts I use as well.
But, most of the time I transport and store my 2 pc masts... just like I do with my 1 pc masts.

Sorry not meaning to change the subject... but your answer, will effect the answer to your question.
Greg Smile
outhaul

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregnw44 wrote:
Is the mast a 1 piece, or a 2 pc. design
Greg Smile

it's a 2-piece mast (I also added to my original post)
LeeD

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used to lug our gear down a 500' cliff, and out 1/4 mile.
Shorten your boom. Wrap uphaul around the rolled sail and both pieces of mast. Wrap outhaul around sail and masts.
Carry your uni and aluminum tube on the board, or with other hand.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, LeeD's plan sounds good.

Here's another option, but it depends on the size of your 8.5's sail-bag.
Over the years... I've seen sail bags that you could barely squeeze a tightly rolled up sail into. And I've seen bags that have lots of extra room, so much, that a tightly rolled up sail, actually loosens up and unrolls just slightly.

Anyway, if your 8.5 bag is spacious... you can roll up the sail around the 2 pieces of your mast... and slide the whole "roll" into your sail bag.
And you can probably get the mastbase/ext. in there as well.
Then use spare downhaul line to tie both ends of the "filled-up bag" to both ends of your boom. (Or use your uphaul and outhaul as already suggested.) You can carry this with one hand.

If the bag wasn't big enough, maybe you could find an old sail-bag at a swap meet (or ask on iwindsurf) from a 10M sail, that would work great.

If you didn't need to carry it all in 1 hand, you could carry the bag in 1 hand and the boom in the other, evening out the load a little.

And or, I've also seen this... there have been sail bags that came with a shoulder strap... then that, also open up one hand.
Greg -
UncleRandy

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only think i would add to LeeD advice is if your harness line is long enough u can slip the sail and mast through it also
isobars

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reach one hand through the boom and the sailbag handle and grab the mast, leaving the other hand free for the extension if it won't fit in a pocket.
spennie

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At my local spot we sometimes have to park a ways away, so I do the "Leo Carry": Roll up the sail tightly and poke it through a harness line on the boom, add your mast. Put you extension in the end of the mast with the universal attached. Make a loop of your outhaul for the other end, now you have an easy-to-carry rig package. Put your fin in the board, DON'T FORGET TO SNUG UP YOUR VENT PLUG, go! You can use the uni for a downhaul puller once you get there.
outhaul

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips, some very clever thinking.
keycocker

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We travel the world like that. We put the two smaller sails rolled together in the bigger sails bag. Both masts will slip in ,too.
The bigger sail goes in the smaller sails bag with the two booms. We take one arm off each of the two booms and slip them in the bag with the head still attached to one arm.Tail pieces will fit too.
Voila three sails and two booms, enough for two sailors if they are different body weights.
Two pieces of luggage to check.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: