myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
gender differences in prize money

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjsdelaunay

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: gender differences in prize money Reply with quote

The cash purse in today’s competition scene is drastically different between men and women.

Though women are performing the same job as their male counterparts, hitting the water in the same conditions, they are only rewarded half as much for their efforts.

As a young professional athlete, I added my opinion to the ones of Iballa Moreno and Dave Kalama on Talksurf about this controversial topic : http://forum.talksurf.com/t/gender-differences-in-prize-money/194
mrgybe

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A professional athlete is in the business of selling his/ her skills and entertainment value to sponsors, to advertisers, to sports equipment merchandisers and to audience members. If women attract equal revenue from these sources as men they should be paid equally. If they attract more, they should be paid more. The reality in professional sports, however, is that, generally speaking, men perform at a higher level than women. Most sports fans want to watch the best and so the men usually attract more eyeballs and bums in stadium seats/ in front of TV screens. This attracts more revenue from sponsors, advertisers etc.........so the men are deservedly paid more. The fact that a given man could beat a given women, or that both are performing the same job is largely irrelevant. It's a business like any other and those who generate the most profits deserve the greater rewards. If female windsurfers/ SUPers generate similar profits to the men, they should be paid the same.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, it is about what the athlete can do for the business, and I for one
am considerably more prone to eyeball an Iballa Moreno advertisement,
than a Jason Polakow advertisement. Those butt seats are pretty darned
free at a windsurfing competition.

-Craig

mrgybe wrote:
A professional athlete is in the business of selling his/ her skills and entertainment value to sponsors, to advertisers, to sports equipment merchandisers and to audience members. If women attract equal revenue from these sources as men they should be paid equally. If they attract more, they should be paid more. The reality in professional sports, however, is that, generally speaking, men perform at a higher level than women. Most sports fans want to watch the best and so the men usually attract more eyeballs and bums in stadium seats/ in front of TV screens. This attracts more revenue from sponsors, advertisers etc.........so the men are deservedly paid more. The fact that a given man could beat a given women, or that both are performing the same job is largely irrelevant. It's a business like any other and those who generate the most profits deserve the greater rewards. If female windsurfers/ SUPers generate similar profits to the men, they should be paid the same.
keycocker

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An example can be found in Carrin Camboulives. She is a long time pro who has kept her sponsors for ten or fifteen years.
As far as I know she never won a contest. She probably doesn't know prize purses are less because they are such a small part of the income a pro gets.
The paychecks in Pro windsurfing come from your sponsors.
They want you to sell equipment.
Not enough Pro women enter the AWT or PWA contests. If the Moreno twins and others can bring a crowd of women athletes with fans to these events, there will be more prize money.

Last year the PWA Pro women just didn't show for the Wave Championship in Maui.
That hurts their cause with the sponsors, at an event held by Samantha Bittner who is the most sympathetic promotor for Women's windsurfing.

Years ago the French National Championships for women had only two entrants at each event. They split first and second prize money without a need to do anything at all, just show up.
They stopped giving prize money at all because it was so unfair.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might consider models as athletes. The females make quite a bit more money. Try getting a job at Hooters if you are a man......I wouldn't mind doing that. Laughing

Seriously, 60% of all college students are women today. Men are an endangered species. However there was a recent controversy about silicon valley. Only 2% of the managers are women.

60% in college? 2% Managers? Why? THEY ARE NOT AS NERDY AS THE GEEKS IN SILICON VALLEY. And I've never heard of a high tech female working out of her garage. I must assume that innovation knows no prejudice.

Now, before you call me sexist, my daughter graduated Berkeley, worked for a hedge fund and then investment bank. I would not want to negotiate with her!
keycocker

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider the source of prize money. It either comes from the entry fees or the sponsors.
With few women entrants that source is limited.
The purses are not divided along male female lines. The masters and grandmaster purses for men are very little. We have few sponsors.

The women would do better taking their case to the sponsors who provide the purses than here or with the promoters of the events.
The event directors are completely at the mercy of the sponsors.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: