myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
To those who feel the military are your indentured slaves
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
Is it true that conservatives prostrate themselves before money, eh?

Yes and also true of liberals, or human beings in general.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Techno, I appreciate you leaping to my defense, albeit unnecessarily. Yours is a voice of reason in a sea of inanity, endless repetition and lack of originality.
pueno

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
...in a sea of inanity, endless repetition and lack of originality.

Been looking in that mirror, listening to those voices, reading your posts again, big guy?
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
Is it true that conservatives prostrate themselves before money, eh?

Wait a minute. I thought it was your position that conservative voters were Troglodytes.

I think it's time you receive one of Isobar's famous proctology exams....
mac

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bard--I always appreciate attention to my puns. However, the interest you seem to have in my prostate seems unusual for such a manly guy. Have you been keeping secrets from us?
mac

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I rode by the thousands of crosses on Deer Hill Road in Lafayette, each representing one of the dead in Afghanistan and Iraq. Very powerful. Yet the chickenhawks on this forum go on about the need to do something with military power in Ukraine. How prophetic that David Kennedy would have spoken this week at Monday Group. Courtesy of Leah Garchick.

Quote:
As always at these gatherings (this one was on the 10th floor of the Marines Memorial building, in a room with fireplace burning bright), the guests are curious, well educated and pleasantly refined. The men are in sport coats or suits, the women in suits and dresses, with makeup and jewelry.

In that milieu, while passing around a plate of cookies, it was particularly startling to force one's mind to consider fighting in Iraq, soldiers in Afghanistan, the blood-and-guts reality of warfare and the reasons the military exists. It was also startling to consider the numbers presented by Kennedy, whose general thesis was to decry the "wide and widening disturbing gap between civil society and the armed forces."

Less than 0.5 percent of the total population is in the military. Twelve percent of the population is African American, African Americans are 19 percent of the military; 35 percent of the population has had at least some college education, 2.4 percent of the military. American military forces are made up of the least affluent, least privileged of our young people, said Kennedy.

In the years between 1945 and 1973, when there was a draft, American forces were deployed overseas 19 times. Since 1973, when the all-volunteer military came about, there have been 144 deployments.

"The all-volunteer force has created a moral hazard," he said, as we folded our napkins and placed them next to our coffee cups.

Indeed.
bufferankle22

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

insomnia is a terrible thing they'd been trying to fighting insomnia
for a long time
mac

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the resignation of the head of the VA, it is challenging to look at the potential lessons in health care associated with this debate. Most probably don't know that Congress passed an act (The Veterans Health Care Budget Reform and Transparency Act of 2009), which assigned the GAO to review the President's budget each year. This followed a high level of Congressional oversight; the Congressional Budget Office prepared reviews of the VA in 2007 and 2009. Those made no recommendations, but noted the increasing number of veterans needing care because of the aging of Viet Nam vets, and returnees from Afghanistan and Iraq. Rand looked at the VA in 2012, and noted that there was much to like: http://www.rand.org/blog/2012/08/socialized-or-not-we-can-learn-from-the-va.html

It seems to me that the GOP's new-found empathy for Veterans is just more of the same ad hominem attacks on Obama. After all, the Republican Senate blocked increases for the VA in February of this year: http://www.pensitoreview.com/2014/05/29/should-u-s-senators-who-voted-against-additional-funding-for-va-hospitals-in-february-2014-also-resign/

Take a look at the wall of shame.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
While you might have had an aggressive form of prostrate cancer, seems to me that its been reasonably resolved. If it hadn't been, you most likely would have been six feet under by now. Many poor guys with aggressive forms of prostrate cancer only get a handful of months. Like I said, things could have been much worse.

Please inform the half-dozen oncologists who personally tell me, and the many hundreds of oncologists who have published studies saying, that that whole paragraph is varying degrees of total bullcrap. They'd appreciate your expertise.

swchandler wrote:
The way that you play it up here, one would think that you're one step from imminent death.

That's a lie. I've said just the opposite several times.

swchandler wrote:
The way that I look at it, things are great until they aren't. Try being an optimist for once.

That just shows your total lack of understanding of cancer statistics and of medical statistics in general. Your false presumptions about my cancer are making you look like an idiot.

swchandler wrote:
a higher than average PSA count doesn't necessarily mean that you have cancer.

After post-prostatectomy transients settle, it does. In fact, a PSA ≥0.100 not only implies, but DEFINES recurrent prostate cancer, with low cure odds.
pueno

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Fick-shun wrote:
swchandler wrote:
While you might have had an aggressive form of prostrate cancer, seems to me that its been reasonably resolved. If it hadn't been, you most likely would have been six feet under by now. Many poor guys with aggressive forms of prostrate cancer only get a handful of months. Like I said, things could have been much worse.

Please inform the half-dozen oncologists who personally tell me, and the many hundreds of oncologists who have published studies saying, that that whole paragraph is varying degrees of total bullcrap. They'd appreciate your expertise.

swchandler wrote:
The way that you play it up here, one would think that you're one step from imminent death.

That's a lie. I've said just the opposite several times.

swchandler wrote:
The way that I look at it, things are great until they aren't. Try being an optimist for once.

That just shows your total lack of understanding of cancer statistics and of medical statistics in general. Your false presumptions about my cancer are making you look like an idiot.

swchandler wrote:
a higher than average PSA count doesn't necessarily mean that you have cancer.

After post-prostatectomy transients settle, it does. In fact, a PSA ≥0.100 not only implies, but DEFINES recurrent prostate cancer, with low cure odds.

Mikey, are you scheduled for a frontal lobotomy anytime soon?

It might help your miserable disposition, pissy outlook, and shitty attitude.

SWC was saying nice things -- at least as nice as is possible around you -- and you dumped a ton o' angst on the guy. Lighten up, grouch. Get laid, have a beer, smoke a joint... or something.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: