myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
To those who feel the military are your indentured slaves
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
techno900

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poinster said:
Quote:
I don't recall anyone saying that veterans should not get disability payments for non-combat injuries. I think people on this forum tweak Mike about his disability payment because he shows so little empathy for others who receive government assistance.

When one volunteers for military service, there are very specific benefits that go with serving your country. Because of the risks, disability is a key benefit should one become injured.

For one to qualify for Government assistance, there is no prerequisite of serving one's country, you just have to be a citizen.

While it's possible for folks in both examples to manipulate the system, I would venture that it's a thousand times more difficult to "work" the military as compared to the numerous assistance programs the government offers.

I think Mike has plenty of empathy for those truly deserving of government assistance, but none for those that "work" the system.
pueno

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
Because of the risks, disability is a key benefit should one become injured.

Agreed. Those desk jobs can be hazardous to one's health. Injuries abound, such as calculator finger stress, eraser elbow, low-light eyeball strain, and so on.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pointster wrote:
I don't recall anyone saying that (1) veterans should not get disability payments for non-combat injuries. I think people on this forum (2) tweak ("tweak"?) Mike about his disability payment because (3) he shows so little empathy for others who receive government assistance.

Wrong on all three counts.

1. Several of them did/do it at least weekly for years.

2. Incessantly calling me a welfare cheat and worse is a "tweak"?

3. Pure BS. My complaint is against tax money taken under threat of law from those who earned it and given to buy votes from people who CHOOSE not to earn their own way and did NOT earn it.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reinerehlers wrote:
isobars wrote:
Because their harangue denigrates every individual military member and the military institution itself

That's a stretch. I think their harangue is directed at you as an individual.

As I've explained many times, regardless of what individual or what circumstances they direct their criticism at, it ultimately hits the rules all (U.S.) military operate under, by law. You spit on one soldier who plays by the rules, you spit on all of them and their whole system. My entire disability evaluation and compensation have been evaluated and adjudged under the same rules and laws that govern all military members (combat soldiers and injuries get additional consideration, as they should; I earned combat pay in one of my tours). If my case is egregious, then so are all others (except fraudulent cases, which I'm guessing are relatively rare considering the level of scrutiny).

Just because a person can run or windsurf or climb Mount Everest or play volleyball (I can’t) or drive a car (I’m limited) or even return to combat duty minus limbs as some have, doesn't mean he doesn't have handicaps, even severe ones. I was surprised to see a guy in the gym in two rooms a couple of years ago: first, pumping big iron in the weight room, where he looked like any other gym rat. Later, in the locker room sans his full length gym pants, it was obvious that his leg had been fabricated from pieces of flesh and bone retrieved from the vicinity of the new hole in the Afghanistan mountains where he was standing when the RPG struck while he was seeking Bin Laden with the 10th Mountain Division (I can’t even type that legendary unit’s name without shaking and tearing up in awe, yet some of these so-called “people” say he deserves no pension because he didn’t serve long enough before getting his leg blown off and that ass (don't blame me because the symbol fits; his party chose it) in the White House proposed that he should buy his own health insurance immediately upon stabilization in a field hospital). I didn’t ask about his many other jaw-dropping scars.

Similarly disabling damage can be strictly internal, hidden beneath healed skin. Disease or exposure to chemicals can do the same thing. Two officers were killed in separate incidences at the “cushy” lab I worked at in New Mexico, and that goes on throughout the hazardous world we live and work in. I don't get paid one cent, not even out my other pocket, for the documented service-connected medical problem that curtails my driving by something like 75% and my reading by 50-75%.
http://tinyurl.com/n2u7ych , in the WSJ, mentions just a few of countless cases in which veterans disabled by combat, accidents, or disease work around their undeniable medical problems much worse than mine … until and unless, that is, mine kills me. Many doctors tell me I've adapted to my “hassles” FAR better than many of their patients. For that these “people” can’t stop their baseless harangue.

As I've said before but these guys ignore, not one of them would voluntarily swap their medical status for mine in exchange for the few hundred dollars per year I get for my disabilities, which preclude me from MANY activities they do every week and can injure or kill me any day of any week. Had I been WSing when the symptoms of my most immediate threat first appeared (or if and when they reappear), I would have died (will die) on the spot. Some things are worth taking risks for.

VA disability ratings are, and should be, very different from what the Social Security disability system USED to be. Under SS, one had to be unable to produce ANY income to receive a full disability award, a standard once almost prohibitively difficult to meet in theory or practice. Under Obama, however, some jurisdictions now award SS disability to virtually anyone who requests it, just for the asking; it’s been making scornful news for a couple of years now. If ya don’t like the more equitable and graduated VA system, demand that your congressmen change it (at the risk of getting drafted when the all-volunteer system collapses). Here ‘tis for your reading pleasure:
http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?tpl=/ecfrbrowse/Title38/38cfr3_main_02.tpl .

These "people" know all this and don't care. They just wanna bash Isobars because he can do some specific things despite limitations. They use this as a disgraceful excuse despite the light their criticism casts on the military and VA institutions authorized by the Constitution to protect their right not only to criticize but to BREATHE, keep speaking English, and choose their religion.

If you think any of their complaints merit a response, let me know. Their usual tired old schtick does not, so I’m not even going to bypass my filters to look at it.

Last edited by isobars on Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
windoggi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too long
mac

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iso claims:

Quote:
They just wanna bash Isobars because he can do some specific things despite limitations.

Wrong. They want to bash Isobars because Isobars bashes everyone and everything not to the right of Attila the Hun. He does it with contempt, peremptory judgement, and fake facts. It earns him the responses he gets.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
I think Mike has plenty of empathy for those truly deserving of government assistance, but none for those that "work" the system.

On that point I have unreconciled reservations. There's "working the system" as in cheating, which of course is wrong in every way. But is accepting benefits, even unearned, as written, with no deception, wrong? Sure, it's not magnanimous, but then how many people add zeroes to their tax payments just to be magnanimous? What's the difference?

Is surfer dude Jason Greenblatt a welfare cheat, or just an honest guy with no conscience? Nancy Pelosi says the welfare system is designed to allow guys like him to eschew work to pursue their dreams, even though they choose not to work AND accept unearned welfare.

How many of you would refuse to accept lobster, a cellphone, free birth control products, waiver of the health insurance mandate, a SNAP card useable for ANY purchase whatsoever in many states, student loan debt cancellation, free college tuition, home loan bailouts, free internet service in your cabin at the bottom of the Grand Canyon, subsidies for thousands of excuses for people earning almost six figures (e.g., solar power for your very expensive home), food stamps, free school lunches for even the wealthy, or the hundreds of other freebies on which this administration spends billions of your dollars forcefully promoting to you to ensure your vote for its party? How much of that promotional money is being spent notifying the public that the health insurance mandate has been not just delayed for the 36th time but is now NO LONGER ENFORCEABLE at all, as discussed in another thread?

Many qualified people DO refuse such unearned freebies, but I'm guessing few of them are among the whiners here. But that issue is a whole 'nuther thread, unrelated to this one about earned, contractual benefits for legitimate medical disabilities. IMO and that of my VA oncologist, based on my medical records and his decade as my physician, the VA owes me much more than the dog food money they've been paying me.

Last edited by isobars on Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
pueno

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
They just wanna bash Isobars because he can do some specific things despite limitations.

OK, Mikey. I give in. You're a fantastic guy. God's gift to mere mortals. Patient, tolerant, open-minded, empathetic, receptive to alternatives, compromising, bright, creative, well educated. A fantastic teacher and model citizen. Probably a choir boy, maybe a deacon in your church. You might even serve on your school committee and volunteer to your community to help the less privileged.

And no doubt handsome, too.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots and lots of fluff (with a bit of hate sprinkled in), but he won't get to the bottom line. He might deserve what he's got, yet he can't come clean about it. What does that say?
windoggi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
dog food money
sounds good to me
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: