myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Lake Hodges open for windsurfing come April 2!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bprice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I remember sailing Hodges a fair amount in the mid to late 90's, you need big gear most of the time. I sailed 8.0 & 138L at 190Lbs and I was on smaller stuff than must guys. The wind would typically last 45 to 90 minutes and that had you planning 80% of the time. The short run was like 15 seconds in the straps and it was time to turn. Sure there was a few days each season it would blow hard enough to get on a 6.5 and 115 L, but it was rare. Point I'm trying to make is it's not like your going to pack a narrow short board and wave gear up the trail. Your taking big bulky stuff. And what about the cooler, lounge chair, spouses and kids and other goodies most folks would bring to make a day of it. Need to get access to the road again to make it all worth the effort.
nw30

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bprice wrote:
From what I remember sailing Hodges a fair amount in the mid to late 90's, you need big gear most of the time. I sailed 8.0 & 138L at 190Lbs and I was on smaller stuff than must guys. The wind would typically last 45 to 90 minutes and that had you planning 80% of the time. The short run was like 15 seconds in the straps and it was time to turn. Sure there was a few days each season it would blow hard enough to get on a 6.5 and 115 L, but it was rare. Point I'm trying to make is it's not like your going to pack a narrow short board and wave gear up the trail. Your taking big bulky stuff. And what about the cooler, lounge chair, spouses and kids and other goodies most folks would bring to make a day of it. Need to get access to the road again to make it all worth the effort.

Tomorrow, A.L., don't tell anybody. Wink
eghoffman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
Sounds kinda like a Tubamancha situation, see the vid at
http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24053&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=drakes&start=0

Packing in the gear, or using a small two wheeled gear cart might be the answer.

The difference is that Tubamancha / Limatour is a great, side off wave spot, which makes the hiking worthwhile! This is just a little lake. Most of the time, if it was windy enough to bother sailing Limantour, you could get up there pretty easily form the parking lot - 3 or 4 looong reaches.
loopless

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A number of people sailed Hodges this weekend trying...

1) sailing up and back from HH launch.
This was a bit of a nightmare, as the wind is off the land up until the sailing area, when it switches to be on the nose and is a battle to get past. The sail/drift back was even worse as you will likely end up swimming the gear.

2) carry gear along the hiking trail
This was a struggle as the trail is narrow, and the gear gets heavy quickly.

3) riding a bike with a surfboard rack along the access road and slinging the sail bag over ones shoulder. The winning approach. I think a little trolley behind the bike would be the trick.

Saturday was decent sailing. I was wound-up on a 7.0 for a lot of the time - and believe me you are not going to find that anywhere else in San Diego most of the year, especially the dog days of summer.
boracayboardhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much do you weight Andrew? Wondering if someone 100 kilos would have been on a 7.0 as well?
loopless

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boracayboardhead wrote:
How much do you weight Andrew? Wondering if someone 100 kilos would have been on a 7.0 as well?

I am 165lb. I was on a 129L RRD Spitfire. You would need something bigger I'm sure.
The sensor at the dam was saying 11-20 - that seemed pretty on the ball to me. This was not a "good" day even by Hodges standards as the inland was not hot at all. To be comfortable there it is nice to have a board that you can ride the fin upwind in a gust to make some ground. The lake is low on water and narrow at the moment and it was a bonus to go upwind to a wider part of the lake to double the sailing distance between gybes/tacks.

Seriously you are just sailing across a narrow ditch. But it is a beautiful spot and a great get-a-way from it all if you have the time and don't own a formula board with an 11.0 (or are tired of battling it out with kiters in 2ft weekend surf at Tourmaline).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: