myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Lake Hodges open for windsurfing come April 2!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loopless

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: Lake Hodges open for windsurfing come April 2! Reply with quote

Its hard to believe but all signs (literally , as 'give way to sail craft' buoys have appeared) point to Lake Hodges ( in San Diego) being open for windsurfing as of April 2. The lake will be open Wednesday, Sat and Sundays. This has been a long and drawn out battle and kudos to everyone who has kept the pressure on. It would be great to get a lot of people on the water once things heat-up and the wind starts to kick in for the season.

Some of the details as to whether one needs to go to other end of the lake to get a permit etc are still unknown. The SDWA is the best source for info on this.
cptn_picard

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic news! Many many thanks to all those who worked on this.
geohaye

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will wonders never cease? Gives us reports and photos when you guys actually get out legally sailing on Hodges once again.

What an astounding effort. So stoked that it appears to have worked out. How long has it been since Windsurfing was banned there? 10 years?

Hey, it's kinda windy today.

Current Wind at Hodges:
http://global.iwindsurf.com/en-us/Search/ViewResults.aspx#33.06,-117.116,14,1

H.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.36 MB
 Viewed:  19842 Time(s)

H.png

MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be down there for a baseball tournament in April. Please keep this thread open. I'm an ocean sailor, but my son might enjoy going there. Great job to everyone who made this possible.

Now what happens if it's windy on Tuesday and Thursday?
boracayboardhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome news!!! Many days I see great wind there. Will the sailing area still be limited to the same area as before? Now if the water level would just come up a bit. Either way, I'd show up just to support the cause! Also have to get an after session Margarita at HH!
loopless

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boracayboardhead wrote:
Awesome news!!! Many days I see great wind there. Will the sailing area still be limited to the same area as before? Now if the water level would just come up a bit. Either way, I'd show up just to support the cause! Also have to get an after session Margarita at HH!

Its the same area as before - it's pretty much the only area on the lake with wind. But hey, its a great place to improve your jibes... given how low the lake level is and how short each reach is...

It's a bit sad the lake is only open Wed/Sat/Sun but is the same deal for everyone ( fisher-folk etc). The really weird thing is that AFAIK SUP is still prohibited, go figure, it's that crazy,illogical, unscientific, body-water-contact thing. I foresee that SUP'pers will be the next group to battle "city-hall"...
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS, I read an article that the water level at Hodges will remain high. This is because they are fed from another reservoir to the North.

What is the best indicator for wind? Is there a sensor nearby? Is the sailing area to the south of the lake? I may only sail there once in my life, but am very glad this has come together for the SD crew.
loopless

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sailing area is up near the dam, at the SW tip of the lake.

Unfortunately the only sensor in a good location I know off is a very unreliable one. The wind funnels through the gap past the dam, so its very localized.

http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=MHDMSD

The wind blows in the summer , when the coast has a marine layer and its hot inland...
loopless

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a link that shows tabulated current conditions from the sensor on the dam - this data seems current and reliable.

http://mesowest.utah.edu/cgi-bin/droman/meso_base.cgi?stn=HDMSD&unit=0&timetype=LOCAL
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewc wrote:
I found a link that shows tabulated current conditions from the sensor on the dam - this data seems current and reliable.

http://mesowest.utah.edu/cgi-bin/droman/meso_base.cgi?stn=HDMSD&unit=0&timetype=LOCAL

That's great. Hey iwindsurf guys, why don't you add this mesowest data to the San Diego map?

We use the mesowest data up here when the iwindsurf sensor goes down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: