myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Avanti Sails Anyone?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Waterat Pat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:20 am    Post subject: Avanti Sails Anyone? Reply with quote

Anyone tried this new euro sailmaker? Pretty high tech looking sails and they are designed by Dan Kasseler who had the idea of the Naish Boxer a compact wave sail way ahead of everyone. I still sail a quiver of Boxers super powerful yet a soft feel thats easy on your elbows and wrists.
Dan also worked at Gaastra and Vandal where he had great success.
Super light 3.1kg/5.2m is on par with the Hot Sails KS3 which only has 3 battens. They sure look strong with all of the kevlar running through the sail.

http://www.avantisails.com/sails/2014/fenix-me

Avanti Fenix.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  307.46 KB
 Viewed:  27329 Time(s)

Avanti Fenix.jpg

wsurfn1426

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If money is no object, or you get a sweetheart deal...I think they look great. I love my Severne S-1s. I bet this sail is great too if you can afford it.

I wonder what bend and stiffness the C-100 mast that goes with it is. One would suspect it would be like a Gaastra 100 RDM, but I have not seen a comparison anywhere. If you are going to spend on all that aramid fiber cloth, better put the right mast in it.

To switch to all Avanti gear would be WAY too cost prohibitive for me right now. I saw the Echo ME on the water in Bonaire a few weeks ago. Julien Mas was sailing one. Smile
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont see a Importer or Dealer network map on the Avanti site.

They have a address in the British Virgin Islands , Tortola..which is east of Puerto Rico in the Caribbean Sea, not Europe .

The masts are probbaly made in Italy, ask them where and see if they will answer about the curve also .

The sails are probably made in China.
China Italy not bad, should be good quality, hope so, without a network in the USA to provide customer service.

they are pretty

looks like both Windance and Isthumus have some products

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
xander.arch

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look super. I'm just not sure if they are actually 3d molding the cloth (like North does for high end yacht racing sails) or 2d laminating the threads along the load paths. Its probably the later which is cool, but may be more graphic than anything. But, if they are applying actual 3d sail cloth manufacturing to windsurfing sails then these are guys to watch.
geohaye

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isthmus sells these.

Speaking of Dan Kaseler, the dude is a star in all types of sailing -- he took the trophy at the NOOD regatta in Seattle last year:
http://www.melges24.com/news/dan-kaseler-wins-melges-24-class-and-overall-trophy-sperry-top-sider-seattle-nood-video-intervi
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan designed for Gaastra, Naish, Vandal & Avanti, perhaps 3 of the 4.

Realistically would I purchase a 2013 Avanti Viper 6.0 over a 2014 Ezzy Tiger at 1 dollar more , answer is unqualified no.

I like reading about sails boards masts , and have a few that not only have most never seen, but never heard of.

Yes they look pretty

VinceSF

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:
Realistically would I purchase a 2013 Avanti Viper 6.0 over a 2014 Ezzy Tiger at 1 dollar more , answer is unqualified no.

That is because you haven't weighted one of them.

There are only 2 reasons I don't sail them: they are not cheap, and I managed to get great sails from another brand for a great deal.
If not, they would be number one on my to buy list.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VinceSF wrote:
U2U2U2 wrote:

That is because you haven't weighted one of them.

There are only 2 reasons I don't sail them: they are not cheap, and I managed to get great sails from another brand for a great deal.
If not, they would be number one on my to buy list.

Thanks for your comments. IF I purchased sails based on weight alone I would have customs. Their are no cheap sails. just sails that are cheaper than some others. And cheaper in $$ and material and longevity.

I used the Tiger as a example,

FWIW
Using the weights quoted on the respective webistes; has be correct .?

The Avanti Fexlix 2 set: 4.0 & 5.6 are 12.76 LBs for the pair

The Ezzy Elite 4battens in 4.0 & 5.7 are 13.90LBs

The Hot Sails Firelights in 4.0 & 5.7 are 12.32LBs

the Tigers are not so into weight savings, 4.0 &5.8 are 14.69LBs

difference between 2 sails hi & lo is 2.37 pounds

of note the FIRELIGHTS ARE THE LIGHTEST

westender

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looked at those in the shop till they told me the price. Somebody's dreaming. Rolling Eyes
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aramid (Kevlar) isn't a panacea. I've had quivers of aramid sails (load strips plus entire leech and foot panels, at least), and went back a year or two ago to other, more forgiving, materials for several reasons. Because aramid doesn't stretch, you feel every gust. The huge, square-edged ones feel like truck bumpers. That much responsiveness may be fine for young racers in steady winds, but it got old real fast and led to some slams in the real (i.e., very gusty) world. After a season or two of fighting it, I went the opposite direction: Dacron leeches up to and including my 6.2, and, in my nuke sails, PVC windows. They might cost me an instantaneous acceleration advantage in gusts if I were racing someone, but I don't, and my tendons thank me every day for the MUCH softer impact. It was like padding the front bumpers of those trucks, so common in frontal and randomly mixing jetstream winds.

In addition to and because of that harshness is the accompanying fatigue. My best guess on the comparison between my Dacron/PVC sails and my aramid sails on a very windy and gusty day would be at least 2:1 in favor of the softer sails, in terms of security and safety from killer gusts*, reduced fatigue, and gleeful eagerness towards that windier 3-hour post-suppertime session after a full day on the water already.

* They were still there, as evidenced by other sailors fighting them, some injuries (rotator cuff/shoulder separation come to mind), complaints, flying chunks of spray and smoke, and gusts registering into the 50s. The difference was that the greater compliance (aka: "give") in the Dacron (especially with the PVC) knocked the edges off the gusts without any obvious effect on the COE. I can distinctly feel the PVC window stretch to absorb the exceptional gusts which would otherwise demand a quick defensive reaction. It's like they just didn't exist any more; you still get the acceleration, but it's spread over more fractions of a second for a much more pleasant ride. (You wouldn't want PVC with bigger windows; my nuke sail windows are very small.)

My first session with these softer sails was total and OBVIOUS confirmation of my decision to have them built this way. I'll leave the big aramid panels to racerheads 1/3 my age who also sail shorter sessions in steadier winds and actually NEED those extra fractions of a second of acceleration to beat somebody to a buoy by 6 feet.

Not saying the Avanti guys haven't solved those disadvantages; don't know. Just saying I prefer pillows on the bumpers before stepping in front of semis doing 55 mph.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: