myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Isabella sensor not likely to be fixed soon
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madmax7

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am w Spennie

I've been paying for this service for over 20 years and Lake I is my spring destination

Being w/out a sensor for months because now you decide to request permits is not acceptable!

That s an stablished spot, that s been there soo grandfather it in and fix it while u wait for permits

You committed to having it fixed by March 24,
So get it done!

Max
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the property owner, not the beggar, who determines whether something gets grandfathered.
windfind

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MADmax7,

We did NOT just decide to request a permit. We were told by a branch of the Federal Government had to get a permit for the sensor before repairing it and if wanted to keep the sensor on federal property.

There is simply no such thing as being "grandfathered in" on existing federal property especially if you happened to "sneak" onto the property in the first place. Making the argument that you had sneaked in for 20 years without a permit is a good plan if you want to insure you NEVER get a permit from the federal government again.

Your and Spencer's plan of going ahead and sneaking in a repaired sensor without permit.... is a cool plan. Until you consider the consequences when we got caught. We would lose the Isabella sensor forever and we would also lose all of our other fed. sensor contracts.

Would you like to have the job of explaining to the Crissy, 3rd. Ave, Sherman Island, Treasure Island sailors why how your plan cost them their sensors on Federal property?

Better yet head to the Gorge and explain how sneaking in a Isabella sensor for a few weeks was worth it even though it cost Gorge people their sensors at Dougs, 3 Mile, The Wall, etc. Some of us Gorge folks are not as refined as S. Californians and still have fond memories of Spencer so it would be an experience. Wink

We have many hundreds of our own sensors in several countries and you know what? Customers at everyone one of those locations thinks their sensor is the most important one in the world. That is why we have a full time crew of 3 flying about making major repairs or installs every day as well as dozens of local technicians making minor routine repairs.

If the Isabella sensor simply needed a repair it would have been done in day to a week as we fit it into our flight schedule.

In case you have not noticed most of us here at WeatherFlow work 7 days a week starting predawn. This is the sort of job you do for a passion not money. The idea that we twiddle our thumbs when a sensor goes down is not just absurd it is personally insulting. We are all windsurfers and kiters and know exactly the pain when you don't know if it is windy or not. So we are driven to keep every sensor UP! But our control of the Federal Government is limited.

The sad thing is all the time we have spent explaining the situation over and over to customers could be spent making repairs and submitting more permits.

So cut us some slack and let us spend all of our time fixing the situation rather than chatting about it.

Mike .... out!
iwindsurf.com

sensor.jpg
 Description:
Current sensor design. Notice the beefiness of the brackets. Hurricane proof.
 Filesize:  161.62 KB
 Viewed:  14903 Time(s)

sensor.jpg

WindSapien

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pray for wind and hope for the best as to the sensor repair.
WS

Last edited by WindSapien on Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
lcaulkett

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: lcaulkett Reply with quote

First of all, it is just a sensor at a lake.
That's all.
No one died because the sensor wasn't working.
No one lost friends because the sensor wasn't working.
Get over it.

I have been a member of Iwindsurf for,
oh who gives a shit how long I have been a member.
When I first heard about the Pager I thought,
"How cool!"
I would show it to people who weren't even windsurfers and they would say, "How cool!"
And it still cracks me up that I can easily see what is happening at any site.
Sure there's going to be gliches with any new technology, but it's only a sensor at a lake.

What I am trying to say is,
Thank You Mike and all the other people at Iwindsurf for going thru all the hassle and hard work of getting this thing going and keeping it going.
It's not like you are some over paid government worker that has never gotten something like this up and running by themselves.
Youse guys built, by yourselves, a product that has been extremely helpful to me and other windsurfers and you should receive credit for that.

I am a self employed builder who has to deal with government bureaucrats when I have to pull a permit.
So I know how aggravating the process is.
In construction, anything that takes five days takes eight days.
I'm sure that the sensor will get fixed when it gets fixed.

I just wanted you to know that here is one person in Southern California that appreciates all that you have accomplished.
Enough of this whining nonsense.

Also thank you "superkraurt" for all that you have done for the Lake.
lcaulkett

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: lcaulkett Reply with quote

By the way I am Mike Godsey's long lost brother-in-law,
and he paid me to make that last post.

Does this give me a free year of iWindsurf?
Huh, Huh?
sinusoidal

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@lcaulkett - GOOD POST - well spoken. For the few thumbsuckers IWINDSURF should give them their money back and ban them from membership. See how much they like that responsive customer service.

no-whining.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  155.7 KB
 Viewed:  14791 Time(s)

no-whining.jpg

lcaulkett

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:24 pm    Post subject: lcaulkett Reply with quote

Okay, I promise this is my last post.
What a relief for all of you.

I windsurf because it is fun.
The whole iWindsurf thing makes it more fun.
Remember, the iWindsurf thing is a toy.
Toys should be fun.
Sometimes the sensors don't work perfectly.
OH WELL.
No crisis.

Done.
superkraut

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

weeeell, there is a certain urgency here:
we have so little water in the lake that come May at the latest, we won't be able to sail any more. So its now or some time spring 2015, IF that El Nino materializes.
Maximizing my TOW now, is therefore essential to my immortal soul, and its sure more convenient to have iwin inform me just when it is sailable, than having to sit on the beach to not miss any.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree the sensors are vital. They affect my windsurfing to the tune of thousands of dollars per year in fuel alone, let alone catching wind when available, never mind my time.

But it still makes no sense to try to run roughshod over the million megaton federal gorilla who owns not just the playing field but also the game ball, the rule book, the referees, their whistles, the parking lot, the keys to the gate, the water, and apparently our right to eat our own GD sandwich. Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: