myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Need warmer water to learn SUP in the PacNW
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiting is great until you experience the Superman on land, then it's kinda....not so good.
Doing Superman has killed way more than a hundred kiters, possibly double that number, world wide.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My take is you will have a great time sailing this board strapless and will really enjoy getting back on the water but will struggle mightily trying to SUP it.
H2OJoe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't make the mistake most (myself included) windsurfers make when trying SUPing. Get a BIG board, 200ltrs or more. Something like the Amundson 11'6 or 11'10, Naish Nalu 11'6 or Starboard 12'x32" or 33". You will be able to light wind windsurf these, do downwinders (once you improve) and surf small waves at the coast if you want. I've been doing this for several years now and, due to knee issues, still can't paddle a 130ltr board unless the water is dead calm. Aloha, Joe
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 150 lbs., it was easy to SUP the JPYoungGun126, but for windsurfing, that board is a pig, hardly ever really planes, and when it does, it's going maybe 15 mph, not needing straps, but really slow.
However, I find SUP totally boring, so the board is for surfing small waves, either with a sail or with a paddle.
I can surf, so it's not needed if the surf is over 3'.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaglebuddy wrote:
My take is you will ... struggle mightily trying to SUP it.

Besides the obvious volume issue, other evidence supports your take: I've never had a board with this much rocker. However, I suspect I will concur with Zirtaeb's " I find SUP totally boring, so the board is for surfing small waves, either with a sail or with a paddle." Heck, I find windsurfing boring pretty quickly, even when fully planing, if the water's flat. I hope this potato chip helps me cure that ailment. If I find that SUPing offers its own attraction, I can always buy a dedicated SUP later, even if it is
SIXTEEN FREAKING FEET LONG!

BTW, I seem to have found a venue for learning the basics without having to do it dressed like an Eskimo. My gym says, "SURE, you can bring your SUP into either of our indoor Olympic swimming pools when there's room."

I'm there. They're always empty for a couple of hours after weekday opening hours.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you paddle in the pool make sure you don't hit your head or your body on the perimeter of the pool when you fall off, paddle in the middle.
Also when people fall off a SUP they tend to kind of jump or step off and their feet can impact sharp rocks or things on the bottom of the ocean/river.
Make like a starfish or wear shoes.
J64TWB

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, swimming pool is a great idea. Also, google earth with satellite view will bring many small bodies of water into view you never knew existed. Some may be accessible and in a short drive. I did that here in Chicago and found a lake perfect for N.E. conditions with public access. Never would have found it otherwise.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frederick23 wrote:
google earth with satellite view will bring many small bodies of water into view you never knew existed. Some may be accessible and in a short drive.

Been doing that. I use maps first, as they show lakes very clearly as blue blobs. Then I hit "satellite" and zoom in for details. Finally, I Google the lake by name to see whether it's open to the public. I found countless lakes within an hour or two, many of which will warm up before the massive Columbia does.

None as much or as soon as the gym pools, though, just for learning how to get on this thing. I haven't climbed onto a board since the '80s.

Regarding the pool sides ... I plan to remove two center lane dividers so I have plenty of space and couldn't hit the pool sides if I tried. I cringe every time I see people step off, let alone jump off, any kind of board in the Gorge. There are shallow rocks everywhere, even hundreds of yards offshore in many places. My WSing dismount is horizontal, not vertical.

As for H20Joe's insightful "still can't paddle a 130ltr board unless the water is dead calm" ...
A) did you watch the videos of the SeaLions being SUPed on both glass and in waves? and
B) I gonna give it a try. I don't expect to find an SUP board on truly flat water to be interesting beyond the first few sessions, so this board is intended to be used in SUP mode when there's some bumps, maybe even swell, to play on. If it sucks at that, or if I can't stand up on an SUP period, it will be become my light air WS board. If I like and can do SUP on its own right, I can move up to the 150L SeaLion or to something
SIXTEEN FREAKING FEET LONG! Smile
Something tells me, though, that those things don't WS worth crap.

I'm also dumping some weight as an experiment for several reasons (an easy 8-10 pounds in a dozen days so far), and that may give the board a better shot at supporting me. Its shape distribution should help too.
spennie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple more things to add, here. ISO, it's not so boring if you're exploring new terrain, or can find a group of like-minded people to paddle with. I joined a group on Meetup.com, (Channel Islands Paddlers) and we paddle every weekend with somewhere between 6-31 participants, and it's a lot of fun that way, just paddling along chatting with your friends. You could start your own Meetup if you were so inclined.

I thought it would be boring, too, so I didn't buy a board at first, just paddled my Kona One, but it turned out to be way more fun than I thought! I also surf my standup board (so much for the Kona!), and in the Gorge a lot of guys will do downwinders when it's howling, sometimes getting 10-15 second long rides on the swells. That looks like a blast!

P.S. When you first go out, pool or whatever, go out kneeling, which is easy, and only stand up once you're clear of obstacles.
P.P.S. The most stable board I've tried was only TEN FREAKING FEET LONG, but 34" wide, and was as stable as a picnic table, but paddled and surfed very well. No mast step, however. FYI.

wdsurf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: sup flat water Reply with quote

glad you giving it a go in the pool Very Happy Idea you will find the sweet spot make shure you get far enough forward cause the boards static you gotta make it go Exclamation s0 for boring flat water on the sealion I got places I go that I sneak right up on wildlife eagles,deer,beavers muskrats,nude sunbathers,people having sex they never hear me or look at me as WHAT THE FK IS THAT Exclamation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: