myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfings Most Extreme Location! Candlestick
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's City of Brisbane, one of the poorest cities in the Bay Area.
If you're thinking 20 years into the future, then you're correct, it's possibility. By then, I'm buried and long gone.
Goodwind

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stick is definitely more dangerous than my backyard. Laughing But regular sailors will tell you that the horror stories of the stick is way overrated. I've been sailing there on a regular basis (70 -100 times a year) for the last seven years and never had I have any safety issues on land. I felt that the locals treated windsurfers as part of the landscape, like trees, flowers, etc. We certainly don't look like enemy gangsters or drug buying customers, and most of them are older folks, unlikely active gangsters anyway. Sometimes I ran into them in and out of the shower stall by the parking lot and they would asked questions, with a smile, like - was the water cold, was that hard to do or you guys are crazy, etc. Free-stylers with those flamboyant moves seemed to have high entertainment value to them as well.

I agree the launch area is not pretty (I use footwear for safety), but outside of flying tigers, the stick probably has the most annual sailable days in the bay area. My only worry is future development.
dvCali

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

windgood wrote:
The stick is definitely more dangerous than my backyard. Laughing But regular sailors will tell you that the horror stories of the stick is way overrated. ... Sometimes I ran into them in and out of the shower stall by the parking lot and they would asked questions, with a smile, like - was the water cold, was that hard to do or you guys are crazy, etc. ...

Can't agree more. On Saturday/Sunday the park is full of families doing barbecues or B-day parties or just enjoying the place. My hope is that the development of the Park and the ending of the THU/FRI closure will increase its recreational use. During the week there are fishermen, people hanging out, taking lunch or walking dogs and ... there are also windsurfers who seems to be overall quite well behaved.

Crime? Last year there were unfortunately 48 homicides in San Francisco, which makes SF a high rate crime city. Many of those were actually close to Crissy Field ... where my car got broken in twice (nothing stolen) in the last few years ... and where I go regularly with no worry about crime ...

There is however an activity that distinguishes the Stick: Car Donuts! Shocked It happens quite a lot, and it is either owe inspiring (freestyle!) or quite annoying. But there again, people do car donuts in Golden Gate Park ...
kevinkan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would say that i'm much more likely to be greeted by or talk to a random non-windsurfing local at candlestick than any other spot in the bay. people are pretty darn friendly there. i remember one time some guy towed this big smoker behind his truck to the stick... i passed by on the way out to give him a shaka, and he offered me ribs and links... unfortunately i was already late for dinner.
https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
beallmd

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"There is however an activity that distinguishes the Stick: Car Donuts!"
They are inspired by people out there doing the various Skipper Willies!
chand2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
That's City of Brisbane, one of the poorest cities in the Bay Area.

I just read this quote and all the crap on this posting. Just stay away from the Stick so the rest of us have good parking.
The windsurfers park in the street because the parking lot closes early. There is less parking if you stay late.

Avoid our Poor little town Brisbane, too. Doh its a real dump all right.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would I know?
I worked in Brisbane in the .70's and '80's, and both jobs, we were involved in City gov politics.
I started sailing at Candlestick in 1983, in Sept.
I was the first person (there were 3 of us) to sail OysterPoint in '83 and FlyingTigers in '84. We also sailed Sierra in the fall of '84 and the little pond.
The reason so many big buildings are built in Brisbane is that the city needs the revenue from the taxes, and waives their startup fees for new businesses.
spanker_jeep

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got gigged by some glass yesterday. Also I love the side-shows. Google Earth Jamestown Rd. San Fran. Skid marks are not from coming to a complete stop. The drift markings are patterns that could only mean someone needs new tires or they are the work of a real pro.
spanker_jeep

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to lure so many people here with the troll like heading. Here's a shot of my fav skid marks.

Clipboard01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  204.66 KB
 Viewed:  9898 Time(s)

Clipboard01.jpg

westender

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does not look like 2 rear tires burning. Don't you need RWD for that?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: