myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Water Worries
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beallmd

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: Water Worries Reply with quote

Well, lookin bad for Washoe and Lahontan, real bad. Maybe a month or two at Washoe, Lahontan is a canyon with a creek running through. Pyramid will have plenty of water, water level is pretty constant there. Will have to figure out how to get the most out of Pyramid this year, maybe the southeast corner; takes some dirt road to get there but should have good swell. Tremontanna (Boris) goes closer to my house in Sparks but he does speed runs in flat water, I'll tire of that I believe.
CoachG I take it Fulsom is like Lahontan, huh?
Obviously the bay will be normal but bacteria counts will be up as the great toilet flush didn't happen to clean out the bay this winter, oh well, what's a little Coli between friends. Coast will be normal of course.
That leaves Rio. We sail the Sacramento river and flows will be very low all summer so I guess the salt water will back up farther. Toxic Algae and fungus may be a problem. https://water.unl.edu/lakes/toxicalgae-faqs
windoggi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. I never fall in.
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, Folsom is the lowest I've ever seen. Any lakes that get weeds will likely get them earlier with less snow melt, warmer water. Most of the Alpine lakes should be sailable earlier than normal-warmer water. I usually vacation in the Sierras in early August but I'm guessing there won't be much water in the lakes up there by then so maybe June? The other issue will be forest fires with everything

Looks like more trips to the bay this year and as Windoggie states, don't fall in Rolling Eyes

Coachg

Last edited by coachg on Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:06 am; edited 2 times in total
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fear not.....Rain is on the way according to the Guru's at the NWS. If not, the ocean will always be open for business. Wink I do fear for the farmers though. Sad
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

odd , here in Colorado we have had a lot of rain

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
geohaye

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen real rain before, of course, but I admit to having forgotten completely about it. 3 drought winters in a row will do that to you, and SF Bay Area & So Cal have had exactly that. (Most of the rest of the country = totally diff story.)

Yeah, word is rain coming this week starting on Wed, but that won't change the fact that 2013 was the driest year ever on record in CA and helped us understand what it's like to live in Arizona:

Pleasant but Boring!
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A better idea of Folsom status.

The first picture is taken in 2007 when the water level was down to 400', the second is taken in early Jan this year from the Sacramento Bee. The Bird's Eye view of the Marina shown a normal spring & you can compare it with the water level in the live web cam here.

http://www.folsomlakemarina.com/livecam.html

Coachg

Folsom 2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  49.42 KB
 Viewed:  11650 Time(s)

Folsom 2.JPG

Folsom Lake.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  26.16 KB

Folsom Lake.JPG

Folsom Marina.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  64.29 KB

Folsom Marina.JPG

Waterat Pat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lake San Luis forebay is fine. Not affected because the lake level is regulated by the california water authority. You can check it here before you head out.
220 and up is pretty damn good.

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/jspplot/jspPlotAll.jsp?staid_id=ONF&end=now&cookies=cdec02

Sailed it saturday a week ago on a southeast storm wind from the boat ramp. Strange direction but good fun on a 5.4 for most of the day.
dabull1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
Fear not.....Rain is on the way according to the Guru's at the NWS. If not, the ocean will always be open for business. Wink I do fear for the farmers though. Sad
Farmers are cool, it's the Delta Smelt you should worry about... I've heard they're related to Piranha! Bull
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dabull1 wrote:
stevenbard wrote:
Farmers are cool, it's the Delta Smelt you should worry about... I've heard they're related to Piranha! Bull

Who "dealt a smelt"? I thought you had to be a windsurfer to post on this forum....we're holding a séance for Bull at the marina. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: