myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Total Newbie fin question
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cattamia

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: Total Newbie fin question Reply with quote

I just purchased an old board from a guy on craigslist. Its a Fanatic Ultra Ram 310 I have never stepped foot on a windsurf board yet.. I think all the parts except the fin is missing. I want to buy one but having no knowledge.. I could use some advice. I understand that there are different sizes for different conditions and handling but first things first.. are they universal? Do I need a certain brand or model for a certain board or do they all just fit into all boards? Rolling Eyes
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, you need to discern what kind of finbox is built into the board. If its a cavity type box where the fin is bolted in from the deck, the finbox type is Tuttle (2 screws), Trimbox (2 screws) or Powerbox (1 screw). If it's got 2 screw holes in the deck, it is very likely that it will be a Trimbox, as Fanatic and Bic were the only manufacturers to use the Trimbox. You can tell if it's a Trimbox if it has moveable plastic parts that can be shifted fore and aft in the finbox cavity.

Lastly, if there are no thru attachment holes in the deck, the finbox will be a Type A (American) or E (European) type. The fin would be attached using a threaded metal tab that drops into a channel in the fixbox and a single screw. The other end of the fin itself has a rollpin the drops into the channel so that the back of the fin is retained in the box.
cattamia

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Yeah Reply with quote

Got it.. thank you so much. I am sure as I move forward I will have many more questions. Very Happy
cattamia

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject: Just to be clear Reply with quote

It has one screw hole but does have the plastic slides in the box. So Trimbox or powerbox?
johnl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Just to be clear Reply with quote

cattamia wrote:
It has one screw hole but does have the plastic slides in the box. So Trimbox or powerbox?

When asking questions, it is very important to make sure your grammar is correct Smile It sounds like it has one screw hole from the top and DOES have the plastic slides. (that is what you wrote). If so, then the Trimbox. If it has one screw from the top and nothing on the fin side, then it sounds like a Powerbox. IF in doubt. Take a picture of the top and bottom for us Smile
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Just to be clear Reply with quote

cattamia wrote:

It should be a TRIMbox, with the plastic slides.

the board maybe/could be 145L

You can sail generally speaking a large sail, 9.5 down to a 6.5, those are in square meters. 9.5m or 6.5m

length of fin should be 48--54cm LONG , generally

The fin base on these are TRIMBOX

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/

Last edited by U2U2U2 on Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Powerbox. Really, that gives you a lot choice for fins, since most boards made for general windsurfing these days use Powerbox fins. If you're just getting started, the shape of the fin and its condition isn't so critical. Once you get the basics down, then it's time to match fins and sails to get the best quiver for your conditions.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, virtually all the boards coming out of Cobra have finboxes with plastic sides, even Tuttle. Cobra boards aren't using Tuttle Waterat boxes with carbon sides.

Regarding the Trimbox design, it's my recollection that they have two screws, but I'm not absolutely sure. However, the Trimbox must have slideable plastic inserts in the fin cavity. Also, I believe that the Trimbox has straight and parallel sidewalls.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually , the OP says slides, NOT sides

TRIM box have but 1 screw and are adjusted in the box by the same plastic slides. This box is common on Bic boards , like this

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2,

You're right. I clearly misread cattamia's earlier post. My apologies to all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: