myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
War!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 34, 35, 36  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Techno--I actually watched the press conference. Those were Obama's comments at the time. Here is my source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/transcriptpresident-obamas-aug-28-remarks-on-ukraine-and-syria/2014/08/28/416f1336-2eec-11e4-bb9b-997ae96fad33_story.html

I will gladly accept your apology for accusing me of making things up, and I will ignore you not googling the quote.
uwindsurf

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
youwindsurf wrote:

You mean "whoa".

The irony of your misspelling is off the charts.

If that's all you got, it's a good thing you prefer skirts.

OK.
techno900

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac, you got it right, I apologize. Nevertheless, most all the media picked up on the comment "we don't have a strategy yet", both conservative and liberal with critical comments.

Since middle east radical groups are more than common place, it would seem that a "strategy" for dealing with them would have been a topic of discussion between the white house and the military for a decade or more. The issue would seem to be, when, where and how do we "hit them", assuming we don't sit on our butts and do nothing. Since there are ongoing drone and air strikes against ISIS, it would seem that some sort of strategy is in place.

It all boils down to six words that should not have been spoken, but that's not what happened. Every President has been in the same hot seat for similar comments, it goes with the job.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, the White House has to check the Syrian Constitution before deciding what to do. They are also wrestling with a color for the line beyond which the President will become really, really cross. They're leaning towards a Fuchsia or Rose Pink. So much more metro-sexual than the Red he used last time, and a choice which is such a pleasing contrast to that big, ugly brute Vladimir. Oh, did I mention, they're planning a strategy for him also. No rush.
mac

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Techno--Your gracious apology is accepted; you have something to teach others on the forum. I have no doubt that the military and the White House have been having discussions about ISIS for over a year. The difference with this White House is that State also has a seat at the table, and the debate is far-ranging and heated. I am certain that there are multiple options mixing military and diplomacy that have been gamed, and Obama will make up his mind when those options are well developed.

The military is uncomfortable with Obama, as they always are with a President who has not served in the military. They are also far more conservative/right wing than they were when we had a draft, and in the context of the Middle East, suspicious of diplomacy. As the saying goes, when the only tool you have is a hammer, you perceive all problems as nails. Since early in the Obama administration, they are quick to leak when they don't get their way, and openly contemptuous--one of the traits that has made the conservatives deaf and ineffective. No doubt much of Isobars and mrgybe's postings are a result, at least indirectly, of those leaks. At the same time, Obama has a lower degree of confidence in the military and national security systems than Bush, and a much higher degree of trust in diplomacy. National security intelligence is often faulty--read any of Rick's books, or "A Legacy of Ashes" if you don't think so--but they rarely couch their recommendations in terms of the level of confidence. The success rate of the CIA is appalling, but I think the efforts of the Obama administration in getting better quality intelligence for drone strikes has been a significant upgrade.

The funniest thing about the recent posts was the touting of Hillary and Diane Feinstein--two well known hawks--as liberals. I used to joke that Feinstein was the only Republican I had ever voted for. One of the reasons that I favored Obama over Hillary was her hawkish nature. The true debate is between diplomacy and military approaches. Since Obama is, in fact, a cautious moderate, I expect that he will mix the two approaches. Since the Republicans don't have a consensus, and are split between two non-diplomatic approaches--isolationism and massive bombing attacks--they cancel each other out, and Obama's task is managing the hawkish Democrats and public opinion.

Obama may well have already made up his mind and is now testing trial balloons to see the depth of support, or blow back, he might get. As I noted earlier, things are not always what they seem--particularly on Fox.
techno900

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More enlightenment:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=881491725194515
mrgybe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How refreshing to hear someone put forward a respectful, informed and articulate point of view without weasel words, pretzel logic and baseless accusations. Very interesting......and courageous!
mac

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We look forward to the incorporation of this lesson into your attempts at communication. We are not, however, holding our breath.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How tiresomely predictable.
mac

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How predictably tiresome!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 29 of 36

Jump to: