myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
War!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 34, 35, 36  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uwindsurf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
This is one of the most pleasant pictures at
http://www.catholic.org/news/international/middle_east/story.php?id=56481&wf=rsscol .
It's a "Before" picture; you don't want to see the many "After" pictures at that and other sites.

Now tell us this group isn't worth some serious ass-kicking.

You bought the propaganda, hook, line and sinker:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/war/isis.asp

The site Catholic Online has also published graphic photographs said to depict atrocious acts of violence carried out ISIS forces, such as the crucifixion of non-Muslims, the murder of women (including a vivid photo of a woman's death by throat-slitting), and the killing of children (including two images showing the body of a decapitated little girl).

Others maintain that such claims are largely fiction and are just more of the usual exaggerated atrocity stories typically circulated as propaganda during wars to sway public opinion against one side (and in this case provide a prompt or justification for U.S. military intervention). For example, the picture of the decapitated girl had been circulated two years earlier as an example of an atrocity committed by the Assad government in Syria when a helicopter gunship reportedly open fired on unarmed civilians.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops, those are just baby photos taken at K-Mart. And those things in the babies face are baby bottle nipples with milk squirting out.....
uwindsurf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
Ooops, those are just baby photos taken at K-Mart. And those things in the babies face are baby bottle nipples with milk squirting out.....

When was that picture taken?

Who was the photographer?

Where was that picture taken?

You cannot answer any of theses questions, yet you accept that the photo represents ISIS atrocities because it fits your agenda.

Oooops, you may have been duped.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course that was a K-Mart baby photo. I think I saw it in their catalog.
pueno

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. BS wrote:

Photoshop is a marvelous program.

Try it some time.
uwindsurf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:

As usual, no cogent response. Carry on spreading your lies and your propaganda.

I think that photo is from a recent meeting of a California 2nd Amendment/Open Carry group.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

youwindsurf wrote:
stevenbard wrote:

I think that photo is from a recent meeting of a California 2nd Amendment/Open Carry group.

Ahh, coming from Pueno and You, the iconic joseph goebbels and leni Riefenstahl come to mind....along with the other Holocaust deniers who support this administration.... Laughing
mac

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is sad that it seems impossible to actually have a conversation about this. There are plenty of critiques of Obama, coming from the left, about getting close to a slippery slope. I remember reading David Halberstam's "War in a Time of Peace", and being convinced, in part because of his journalistic credibility, that intervention made sense. I recommend this review, comparing Halberstam's take with Samantha Power's. http://www.lrb.co.uk/v24/n22/stephen-holmes/looking-away

This is clearly a bigger issue than a photograph of a child, or anti-Obama attacks from those wanting intervention and those against it. It poses the question of genocide, although some see the Shiite/Sunni divide as a class war (Shiite's revolting against the ruling class Sunni's), or a tribal dispute. I think that all three aspects, plus naked lust for power, are afoot in the Middle East. And, as Powell said, having broken it, an argument can be made that we bought it.

Quote:
"Privately," wrote Bob Woodward, "Powell and Armitage called this the Pottery Barn rule: You break it, you own it.

The underlying issues here are much broader and more complicated than standard right left talking points. One question is whether or not American citizens have the stomach for more war. This issue is profound, although FDR demonstrated that it need not prevent intervention where intervention has a moral imperative.

Bringing us to the question of a moral imperative. Life in the Middle East is not so simple as George Bush's "Axis of Evil" analogy. How good is our intelligence, and no matter how good, do we become the symbol of evil, again, in the Middle East with our intervention.

Then there is competence. This has both a military and administrative component. While it begins with intelligence, it is much broader, and goes to the top. While I reject the talking points repeated here that Obama could easily have forced Maliki to accept a continued military presence in Iraq, I do think he dithered too long before joining the coalition that forced him out. Regardless of the intellectual capacity of this administration in matters of state and military, far superior to the neocons and Cheney, there is a deeper question of whether or not we can ever be "competent" in dealing with the politics of the Middle East, particularly if we are unwilling to step on Israel's toes.

But all we get from those backing intervention, some of whom surely stand to make money on weapon sales, is talking points and pictures. Very sad.
uwindsurf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
youwindsurf wrote:
stevenbard wrote:

Ahh, coming from Pueno and You, the iconic joseph goebbels and leni Riefenstahl come to mind....along with the other Holocaust deniers who support this administration.... Laughing

All I am looking for is proof. I guess you just blindly accept what you are told without asking any questions.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's your point? That ISIS has not committed atrocities? Do you think that the beheading video was a fake also? How about the videos of ISIS machine gunning those who don't accept their ideology? There is more than enough evidence to confirm that these people are barbarians. Trying to score cheap debating points won't alter that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 19 of 36

Jump to: