myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Board Length Too Stubby?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rode the 105 liter one, owned by IsabellaFortier, the KA sails rep in those days.
Fast, slightly high strung, best for 7 meter sails, a little bouncy, excellent jibing. But, I think a MistralEnergy is a responsive, easy jiber.
The new Naish slaloms are some of the fastest, easiest riding boards around.
But the Hypersonic died a disgraceful death, having never won any kind of slalom race, or any speed event, even with some excellent sailors supporting that Starboard product.
Yeah, and IanFox saying you can jump the wood versions... Very Happy Very Happy
VinceSF

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

245 in my book is not short. I will always remember watching videos of the 90's with soooooo muuuuuch boards in the front out of the water, it was nonsense.
once you plane, you don't need much volume in the front.
The key part is learning to go on a plane efficiently.
because, I don't know about you, but I spend only 2% of my time windsurfing getting on a plane so I really like not carrying any extra swing weight in the front.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's less about the amount of the nose (unless maybe you're stuffing it into a trough) than it is about the midpoint width. I've never had a trad board pearl at speed, but the last day, by choice, that I rode my EVO was the day it nose dived for Columbia River sturgeon at full speed on a beam reach in very moderate terrain. I don't recall ever getting slammed so hard, and there was no excuse for it. I trust every trad I own much more than I do that EVO, and in much more threatening circumstances. Realize, though, that I almost never see water as smooth as I see in the magazines' surf sailing shots. I'm convinced those are all photoshopped. Smile
uwindsurf

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
It's less about the amount of the nose (unless maybe you're stuffing it into a trough) than it is about the midpoint width. I've never had a trad board pearl at speed, but the last day, by choice, that I rode my EVO was the day it nose dived for Columbia River sturgeon at full speed on a beam reach in very moderate terrain. I don't recall ever getting slammed so hard, and there was no excuse for it. I trust every trad I own much more than I do that EVO, and in much more threatening circumstances. Realize, though, that I almost never see water as smooth as I see in the magazines' surf sailing shots. I'm convinced those are all photoshopped. Smile

"It" (your EVO) does nothing by itself. If "it" pearled, it is your fault entirely and the slam you received was the result of your operator error. Don't blame the tool for your inability to operate it properly.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

youwindsurf wrote:
isobars wrote:

"It" (your EVO) does nothing by itself. If "it" pearled, it is your fault entirely and the slam you received was the result of your operator error. Don't blame the tool for your inability to operate it properly.

you have caused me to snort coffee outta my nostrils ;;
MEAN GIRLS AVATAR........... I WILL HOWL HERE FOR QUITE SOME TIME !!!!!!

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
uwindsurf

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:
youwindsurf wrote:
isobars wrote:

you have caused me to snort coffee outta my nostrils ;;
MEAN GIRLS AVATAR........... I WILL HOWL HERE FOR QUITE SOME TIME !!!!!!

Glad I could provide a little humor.
capetonian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently RRD product development reads iWindsurf and is very interested in this thread. For you future sailing pleasure they offer up this gem:

dllee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a 232 x 55 JP ProSlalom that does NOTHING better than my old 1999 MikeZ Slalom 8'10"'er.
VinceSF

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

capetonian wrote:
Apparently RRD product development reads iWindsurf and is very interested in this thread. For you future sailing pleasure they offer up this gem:

nice pic, thanks for sharing. BUt I see quite a lot of 'Nose' on this board still. Look at the distance in front of the masttrack.
Now you go look at a really, really old board from the early days. hmmm, that 'nose' is not so big anymore. then it got big in the 90s, and finally become average.
You guys mentioned a Naish with a really small nose. I own one, and yes it is a tad short. a 220cm board is therefore not all that short.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

short and wide requires a steady state of wind power. lotf places don't offer that. surf sailing in some venues ends up being a slog out to catch waves for planing while riding. when one is in the "slog and bob" mode, having extra length for fore and aft stability really helps. shoot, the long boards i rave about help tons more in the really light stuff.

245 seems long compared to even just 235 when bobbing about in the surf. 260 is really easy by compare. my exo-wave 105 is a whole lot easier to slog about than my X-Wave 111. both are great lit up, both turn superb.

plenty of stories to share concerning this issue. one time, last year, i trusted the wx guess, met a friend at my local break, he had a long board, and a shark 145, i had not brought my LB, so borrowed his shark. it was way easier than my 111 to slog about and grab waves. had a hoot. then the wind finally picked up.....

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: