myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
The rich should get more votes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
I think that all citizens 18 & over should be allowed to vote ... That means that 42% of our population that was eligible to vote didn't. I assume that the vast majority of those 42% just didn't care enough to make the effort ... What I wonder is how many of the 58% that did vote really knew what they were doing. Have any of you ever voted based on the yard placards you see on the street or at a polling place? ...
Bottom line is that it seems as though a relatively small number of our population are knowledgeable voters expressing their views at the polls.

Way back when news anchors were journalists first, USUALLY kept their ideology out of it (Cronkite notwithstanding, with horrendous consequences), and did their job of keeping any and all politicians of any and all parties under scrutiny (except, of course, JFK's zipper problem), I'd have agreed on voting just by age. But just as I disagree very strongly with the Seahawks' 12th Man corruption of football, I believe today's dearth of journalism corrupts the political process. Political affiliation and loyalty should depend more on each voter's value system than on which network his TV is stuck on or which newspaper he trips over on the way to the corner ... even which TV personality he prefers on any given network. A Foxwatcher, for example, will hear three very different political messages depending on whether he watches Hannity, Geraldo, or Beck, as all three are commentators with widely (and sometimes wildly) different ideological viewpoints. Yet when MSNBC's lone conservative voice calls his fellow anchors out on their incessant and yet-unfounded crucifixion of Christie, he's pilloried.

I see FAR too many absolutely and TOTALLY empty-headed voters out there to think our voting system still works. Never heard of Biden or Pelosi or Boehner or McCain? No vote. Voting for the most important job on earth based on skin color or a free phone or a swagger or a campaign slogan rather than proven qualifications? No vote. Never heard of any of the major issues? No vote.

A Mitsubishi pollster asked me whether I'd buy their car based on a 30-second commercial showing passengers singing in their car. I reflexively laughed out loud and assured her that only after studying a least 5 or 6 detailed and impartial reviews of EACH candidate vehicle and driving several of them over a period of many months would I consider ANY vehicle.

That used to go for voting, but now the parties are such galaxies apart (and after my online exposure to the extreme left) that I would not, COULD not, vote for any Democrat even if it were my wife ... who has the skills to make an excellent candidate, POTUS, and Commander in Chief. And any vote for any third party is as stupid as buying lottery tickets, so I'm stuck with the GOP.
windoggi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
I'm stuck with the GOP.

Another put out, pissed off, over privileged, armed old white guy...I'm sure the GOP welcomes you.

uwindsurf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You forgot close minded.

Would not vote for a "D" even if they were qualified.
real-human

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
Perhaps it's more interesting to consider the adults that live in this country and don't vote. What's that all about and why? Then there's the millions of adults here amongst us that can't vote.

I would bet most welfare people do not vote as a whole. We know if they did Fox would use this as a rallying call.

I also doubt many felons would vote, the exception is I bet if allowed the ones convicted of drug penalties do.

We can also bet the poor disportionately do not vote. Because they do feel they do not know enough and it makes no difference. The right wing are very good at playing the hate government game and it does no good so why vote to the poor. My gosh they have been known to take advantage of this almost every major election putting up fliers saying due to the large turnout expected dems vote on Wednesday. This i playing on the less educated.

So we already have a right wing hate system to keep the poor from voting.

with the right wingers chiming in in their hate system to stop americans from their right to vote, here I can play the stupid game too. anyone who receives more than $20,000 in any form in a year or $80,000.00 lifetime, of government funds of any kind from company ownership to individual hired is not allowed to vote. This is a conflict of interest vote. You have your choice you do not have to work a government job.

real-human

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ascott72 wrote:
The danger of having the rich have more say in elections is that they would start to skew the system in their favor to make themselves richer. Oh wait, they are already doing that through their campaign contributions and PAC's !

I would however be open to the idea of minimum qualifications to vote. For example:
1) read and write English - not to be xenophobic but a common language is what binds us together
2) graduate from high school - a certain minimum level of education
3) at least 21 years old - some experience in life helps
4) actually having paid taxes - more controversial but should people that don't contribute have a say in how the money is spent?

I can not remember but I believe einstein, edison, and Bell were grade school flunk outs at points in their lives. George Washington's brother suggested to him to go work in the back woods because of how poor his english was.

here is a quote of Jefferson...
Quote:
"The tax which will be paid for education is not more than the thousandth part of what will be paid
to kings, priests and nobles who will rise up if we leave the people to ignorance." {Issue #62}

which I believe the rich are and have effectively been doing a dumbing down in the USA.

swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

" Then there's the millions of adults here amongst us that can't vote."

I said this earlier, but perhaps further comment is warranted. I think that it is generally accepted that there are 11-20 million Hispanics living and working in the US. Their illegal immigration status does not allow them to vote, so you might say that they're not be represented and fully heard. Of course, these folks have kids, and their kids will ultimately gain the right to vote.

I wonder why Republicans aren't seeing the picture. The Republican party has to change to gain strength. No doubt, illegal immigration as an issue is screaming for recognition. Will it be heard?
mac

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best response ever on the unending greed of the rich. By David Simon, creator "The Wire" and force behind "Treme", on Tom Perkins and his $374,713 watch:

Quote:
Can we take that guy's watch and open a couple of drug
treatment centers in Baltimore...? Just send the watch!
You can keep your opinions."
techno900

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all a matter of perspective.

A homeless person might be fed for a few years on the money spent on a complete new windsurfing rig. How dare we invest in such a frivolous activity.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
It's all a matter of perspective.

A homeless person might be fed for a few years on the money spent on a complete new windsurfing rig. How dare we invest in such a frivolous activity.

That does it. You should all give your gear to someone who lives in a van down by the river...Colorado plates.
mac

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Techno--do you really believe taxes are too low if a rich asshole can spend nearly a half million on a watch! Did you really defend him?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: