myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
great quotes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coboardhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because some are incapable of using drugs without abusing them, should they be illegal?
boggsman1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Techno...addiction, in my view is physical. If your physiological exisitence requires a substance to exist, you are addicted. A cigarette smoker quits, he sweats, he gains weight, his body is affected. If a marijuana smoker quits, these physical responses do not occur.
Im not talking about one's propensity to seek an altered state...the glass of wine, the hit of bud, etc.
They ARE two seperate subjects.
techno900

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

youwindsurf said:
Quote:
Is it your position that most of the people who have a glass of wine with dinner are incapable of rationally deciding when to stop drinking? In other words, most people who drink cannot control their consumption of alcohol?

No, just the opposite. Some can use addictive chemicals, and at the same time, limit their use and avoid any negative impact on daily life. On the other hand, many cannot which creates the problems. I am on the fence regarding the legalization of addictive drugs (physically or mentally). I can see the pros and cons on both sides, but I am still in the middle. Maybe the Colorado experiment with marijuana will help clarify my stance.

Boggs, if a person can't stop their addiction even though it negatively impacts their life................it is an addiction. Physically or mentally, it doesn't matter.

Bulimia, anorexia, gambling, marijuana, sex, shopping, hording, work, computers, texting, exercise, etc. can all be addictions, and in many cases are harder to control/break than physical addictions.

We can nit pick the differences forever, but when your are hooked, you are hooked.
techno900

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I didn't say in the above post, but is an important factor in addiction, is that those that become physically addicted to a chemical/drug are almost guaranteed to be mentally addicted as well. A double wammy. Once "dried out" from a chemical addiction (smoking, alcohol, meth, etc.), there is a very strong mental desire to go back to the "good feeling" of being high. This is the real issue with addiction. It's relatively easy to "dry out" with help, but staying that way is very difficult. That's why the mental addiction side is a tougher issue to manage.

So even though marijuana may not be physically addictive, becoming mentally addicted can be a serious issue for some. I know a fellow windsurfer who is a great guy, but is also a "pot head". When he is high, he acts as if he was drunk. Mellow and spaced out, slurred words, glassy eyes and some loss of physical dexterity. I would not get in a car with him in that state or do anything with him where he was in control while he was high. Guys like this could get behind the wheel which is not a good thing. To be fair, he usually stays at the lake for the day and I am long gone by the time he leaves. He may be back to normal when he drives home, but I don't know that for sure.
uwindsurf

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A question I ponder is whether legalizing pot will bring a flood of new pot smokers. From what I have heard, it is not too difficult to obtain pot now. I suspect anyone who wants it can get it, even though it is illegal. That being the case, is it expected that legalization will result in a significant number of people who will try pot for the first time and/or start regularly smoking pot?

I have not read any studies on this issue.
windoggi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my world, pot has always been available to anyone who wants it....some smoke, some don't. It's no big deal.... just another personal choice. I don't think legalization will change that.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has only been a month here that pot has been legal, so it is too early to know. I do know that I could have smoked pot anytime I wanted pretty much my whole life. It is everywhere and has been.

We may see a spike in usage...a couple older friends of mine have expressed an interest in trying it now. They couldn't risk the illegal use when younger. But, I don't see either one becoming a user.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900,

I think that you've got a pretty fair grasp of the situation. In a practical way, we see things very similarly. I would agree that marijuana can be "mentally addictive" for some to the point of obsession, but as we all know, so can almost anything. Overall though, I think that windoggie's last post best reflects my personal opinion.

Yet, even if marijuana is eventually legalized on a larger scale, there will always be the tension between users and non-users. There's no getting away from the judgments about the things that we do and don't do.
nw30

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Related~

"Cigarettes, I won't do cigarettes, nicotine will kill ya."
Tommy Chong
boggsman1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
Related~

"Cigarettes, I won't do cigarettes, nicotine will kill ya."
Tommy Chong

Apparently CVS thinks the same thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 14 of 16

Jump to: