myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Winter Time on Cape Cod
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ron.c

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Winter Time on Cape Cod Reply with quote

Hello neighbors

It's been kinda quiet here.

What's up? Not much except for some killer surf conditions 2 weeks ago. That Wednesday was epic IMHO.

Oh ya, I got a new board to replace my old relic. My 22 year old Haut which I rode exclusively this past season is hopefully gonna start working part time on a modified retirement schedule - maybe only on 4.0/3.7 days.

Here she is, Ms. Frankenstein - one personal reason why this sport has gone to he11 in a handbasket as far as new sales are concerned.

IMG_2414.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  602.39 KB
 Viewed:  13258 Time(s)

IMG_2414.JPG

ron.c

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its offspring

It won't win a beauty contest; but either would I.

Pretty close to a copy but a solid 5 pounds lighter in epoxy.

My fingers will remain crossed until opening day

IMG_2413.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  595.76 KB
 Viewed:  13257 Time(s)

IMG_2413.JPG

outcast

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron,
I hope you have 22 more years of fun.

Hard to duplicate the magic, but looks like you are pretty close.

Noveau Retro. The best kind.

HatterasFever

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool..got any photos of the construction process?
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everbuddy knows those stupid old narrow boards don't work any more! What the hell are you thinking with that tiny, skinny, THIN little tail, that wimpy midsection, parallel rails, and the sharp nose? When ya rig too small, it's gonna disappear in lulls, be a beast to get planing, and work yer arms over. You'll hate it! Why can't you just buy shortwide stubbies like everbuddy else; you ain't $#!+ if you ain't on a board that would fit in yo mamma's Buick's trunk if the board weren’t so wide.

That, or you actually know and love EVERYTHING else about those dinosaurs, know how to rig for them, love their ride and speed in truly nasty terrain, don‘t give a $#!+ if they need wind to work (it IS called WINDsurfing, after all!), and giggle yer ass off at the way they slash right or left insanely -- even jibe -- at full throttle with every little twitch of yer big toe buried deeply in that back strap. (Speaking of which … I don’t understand the double rear strap, as it makes it tougher for the back foot to find its mark at speed in chop, but if you like it, that’s what counts.)

I vote with my shopping time, money, shop/RV/basement space, research, enthusiasm, and stubby-to-traditional experimentation (snagged 5 carefully selected boards at one swap meet) for your type of board and my second paragraph. I pluck mine off the bursting board trees around here to meet my standards, and you build your own to meet yours … two paths to getting what we demand rather than being told what we must sail. The hell with compulsive conformists, myrmidons, and fads.

That’s not to say folks who love their Stubbies are wrong. Just the opposite; they like theirs, you and I like ours, and everyone’s happy … except for two groups: some in either camp who haven’t tried both schools and made informed choices, and those who want to tell others what they must like.

You and your board have three huge things going for them: you know you love the shape, you know how to sail it, and you built it.

BTW … a Hood River consignment shop had a few Hauts much like yours last time I looked.

Mike \m/
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen Ron riding his dinosaur many times, and he looked good. I had to work really hard to keep up with him. Maybe the thin board works for him because we weighs next-to-nothing. The rest of the population is getting wider and heavier, and I think the increasing board widths just reflect that Smile.
gschuel1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that a new board or did you just paint the old one? Either way I'd be interested in the construction details....
ron.c

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the comments

I look forward to testing its speed against my friend Boardsurfr

too tired to type - catch you on the weekend

RC
ron.c

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 5-11 and 135, the skinny board shape has never really been an issue for me.

No offense to the local retail market, but being sold something that happens to be on the rack, as being right for me, is a little suspect.

Another personal reason this sport has gone to sh!t, is if it's not white capping, I'd rather surf. Team Abide can be partially blamed for that transgression. Heck even if it's half windy and somewhat offshore, surfing is not too bad.

Construction details, I have no freck'n clue. Waiting for that thing, to be built, was like watching the pot boil without the lid on. I'm gonna have to trust Vec on that one.

Why on the double rear straps? I like them totally locked in, with no twisting. Plus I like it a little loose in the back and it fits well with my size 11 booties.

Why non-skid only. Have you ever heard of clamers that die or almost die from infected cuts. It took me 2 years to get over an embedded razor clam in the arch of my foot when I was a kid. I know it looks goofy wearing boots year 'round; but WTF.

Why the old fashion straps? I don't know other than they are super easy to adjust. Plus I got a killer deal on the new ones from a new online company out of California.

Am I gonna grow a new set of you-know-whats and use it in the shark infested head-high growlers up at Red Roof? Very doubtful.

Next up for the big 55, I'd like a quad fin 8-4 x 30 or 31 x 3-3/4. Just da thing to practice my backside rights Gil. It would have came in handy during last session with near barreling conditions

Did I say that the surf was killer 2 weeks ago? I'm just rubbing it in.

IMG_2417.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  555.62 KB
 Viewed:  13002 Time(s)

IMG_2417.JPG

IMG_2420.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  637.38 KB

IMG_2420.JPG

IMG_2419.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  534.49 KB

IMG_2419.JPG

Last edited by ron.c on Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
ron.c

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping to get the inserts spread out at least one hole. The backs are gonna come back to the last hole.

What's the leash plug doing in the @ss end? I don't know, go ask Vec.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: