myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wind sup's
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

range rider, do you sail your windSUP in the surf?
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rangerider wrote:
The windSup does lots of things well but the only time I enjoy it is when I'm tired and just need an easy sail, otherwise I just wish I was on something else.

That was a major factor in my choosing a shorter, wider, and more dynamic windSUP. Ya step over to do this, over there to do that, and thus change the character of the board very dynamically as you work any available terrain. For example, to use a moving bump (a little swell or wavelet) to boost onto a plane, you catch it late, shift your feet a bit forward to tip the nose down the face, give a little sail pump or a big paddle stroke, and you're planing in even a light breeze. As soon as you're planing, you need to get your weight back to maintain the plane, but not to the point you sink the tail and put on the brakes. To pivot at low speeds or carve VERY tightly on a plane, you step one foot back onto the inside tail, weight it to lift the other rail, and you just turned. At least that's what I'm seeing on the videos, hearing from SeaLion fans, doing in the gym with cables and a paddle or bar, and doing when I'm supposed to be sleeping at 2 AM. Smile

But on a 16 footer?
I
Don't
THINK
So.
rangerider

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jingebritsen - I don't have surf, I have a lake cabin. I should have mentioned that. Meant to but forgot. I know it shines in waves and ocean conditions. Maybe I'll have to try it on Lake Superior this summer. I'm not criticizing it as I think it is a good board but in the end maybe not a perfect fit for my needs or conditions. One of the big reasons I bought it was to teach and my students don't share my enthusiasm for the sport - just for me I would have spent the money somewhere else. The board works fine though and my family loves it as a sup. I sail it when I'm tired or the conditions are mostly sub-planing. Just sharing my experience with it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: