myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Coyote Pt. Launch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SPQR

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:21 pm    Post subject: Coyote Pt. Launch Reply with quote

Last week I checked out the work done at Coyote Pt. to fix the seawall problems as the old seawall and launch were badly eroded. In previous years most sailors launched at the west end of the parking lot, scrambling down the sand bags put in place a few years ago. The new seawall has an access point that is about 50 meters east of the old launch, right in front of the gravel area that many use to rig up. There are two other access points, one on each side of the building's occupied by Boardsports. The parking lot needs to be resurfaced but the construction on the seawall looks complete. Before you could access the water almost anywhere you could manage to scramble in (except for the roped off areas the last few years) but with the large new boulders that looks like it would be difficult. The rocks and access ramp are not as steep as before, but attempting to scramble over the rocks reminds me of sailing at 3rd in the early 80's before the access ramps were put in. The main access point's look to be about double the width of the old sandbag ramp so getting in and out should be fairly routine. The only disadvantage I see is that the old sandbag launch was more upwind and with this new launch people who sail in to rest or bs may clog up the access point. Some enterprising soul though has made a sandbag ramp about ten meters to the west side of the old launch point just past where the new rocks and boulders end. Once the parking lot get's resurfaced Coyote Pt. should be looking pretty good.
gerritt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a beach? Or, just rip rap? I ask because teaching will be impacted and difficult for those not adept at launching and landing from a fixed ramp.
SPQR

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerrit - the rocks extend out further out than before which makes the entry less steep. At low tide you use to be able to lay your rig on the "beach" and walk up the seawall and shoot the breeze with other sailers or whatever. Now I don't think that's the case with the new construction as a lot of dirt was added just below the rocks. It's definitely different, but I'm looking forward to seeing it in use again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: