myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Chinook mast base failure in the waves
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manuel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:50 am    Post subject: Chinook mast base failure in the waves Reply with quote

Got caught on the flat section in the impact zone (a mushy wave thought it'd be good to drop me off there). Even with only 1.8m announced, I got hit by a really nice one. With my sail sunk, two hands on the boom, back to the wave, I took a deep breath and boom it hit.

I heard two snaps, thought it was my mast but nope, the base broke at the rubber first, then the flimsy "safety" strap second.

I did have some play (1mm maybe) which my take is allowed the "cv joint" to pop out of the rubber piece.

Any base you wave guys recommend that's sturdy to take on serious abuse? Of course, I guess it's better the base than the mast track.

EDIT:

I have been using a Streamlined since then but which cut the tendon prematurely. So, I replaced the top part with one from a Chinook and no more problem with the tendons.

See more info here: http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=253734#253734

Last edited by manuel on Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a very old Chinook base. I know of no other base that is better than the new Chinooks.

I wouldn't be caught on a base that old. You should change the tendon once a year. This will protect you from a potential long swim, or torn sail.
joe_windsurfxxx

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have started using the mechanical base for BIG sails
seems it should be UNBREAKABLE - with NO replacement on parts required
and YES, it IS a CHINOOK
NOT sure how good that is in waves - flat water or mild chop with BIG sails = GREAT

manuel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What makes you say it's old? I believe it is 1 y/o.
It certainly was exhausting and dangerous to save the sail after the board took off. Luckily for me it was only a small day and I was able to recover the board (way down) as well. Must have swam for a good 1h 1h1/2.
Today I feel like I've been run over by a train.
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer. Glad you got everything back!

There are pros and cons to all of the different UJs, but I prefer the tendon joints. They're just easier to inspect and replace than the rubber hourglass joints are. And as long as you inspect them and keep them in good repair, massive blowouts like you experienced are extremely rare.

Hope that helps!

http://wind-nc.com
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a look at the Chinook website ,it shows that it is still sold, so age would have to come from the owner.

I dont recall ever seeing any report of longevity of the tendon vs the boge joint types.

I do agree that to keep a watchful eye on critical components and replace as preventative maintenance is a wise choice.

From what I see broken in the photo , most probably nothing showed as a potential problem.

since there are broken masts, boards and everything else, its common sense that things do break,so shit happens, this cause would concern me

I would send this back and have the R&D section have a look, with as much info as possible.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
paulf.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had no idea a rubber uni could fail in this fashion until my wife hit a sandbar at mach warp speed. glad it was a broken base and not a broken neck. have since switched to all chinook tendon bases with annual tendon replacement as cheap insurance against the long swim, hopefully. glad it turned out all o.k. for you.
sl55

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe,
this mechanical base will not break apart, but it will make much larger dings on your board every time you drop the mast. The tendon type will soften the blow.
Brian_S

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see how this would be tough to spot in a casual inspection. I never saw a UJ fail this way but the amount of corrosion on the metal insert indicates that the rubber had been separating from the metal for some time - it didn't just 'happen' suddenly.

Also, looking at the safety strap, I think that was probably almost worn through before it snapped. The sand and the twisting gets to them eventually. I had to replace the strap that last time I replaced the rubber hourglass.

I personally like the rubber UJ's. I don't sail as much as others, but I've always been lucky enough to catch a problem before it's a problem. I will look at it even more closely at them now. Thanks for posting this.

Brian

manuel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed the corrosion too, I rinse everything always, this was corroding inside where it would have little effect.

Visually, the only thing I could see was the play in the joint, it was greater at the top than the bottom though, but could still apply more leverage. I will take more pictures or maybe post a video.

Today I noticed that the US clip got bent too, must have been a lot of force!

Here is the white water that made me fall. The wave that broke the mast base was much more curled and tall.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: