myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
War on Poverty

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: War on Poverty Reply with quote

It is useful to look back on the impact of the War on Poverty, on its 50th anniversary. Like the race to the moon, this was something that was accomplished by actions of the government. With the fact-free talking points that can be seen in shallow criticisms like that of Mallard Fillmore, it is particularly useful to look at facts instead of conservative talking points. Just a few to stimulate the troglodytes.

Here is a review of Peter Edelman's book "So Rich, So Poor."
http://thenewpress.com/index.php?option=com_title&task=view_title&metaproductid=1856

I know that facts rarely creep into the arguments of the far right--but I found these compelling. First, according to Edelman's analysis (I know, it's creepy that academics check facts. After all they're all liberals.) Between 1959 and 1973, poverty was cut in half--from about 22% of the population to about 11%. Gains were dramatic among African-Americans--black poverty went from 55 percent to 31 percent.

Now I would readily agree that all of the measures of the War on Poverty were not equally effective, or cost-effective. I have no problem with taking a hard look at any government program to see if it is working, and if it is worthwhile, even if it is working. But analysis has been replaced by ideology--the litany of claims by rights on this forum, and in general life, that government can't do anything. (That is certainly true if the Tea Party is around, but not generally.
Exclamation)

Now instead of having the lofty goal of ending poverty, we just have a war on the poor. Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: