myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Never been to La Ventana?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LUCARO

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to exchange to pesos do it at a bank before you go. Don't do at airport like i did. I got 10.5 pesos for 1 us dollar at the airport, but the restaurants in town where giving 12 to 1 (12 pesos for 1 us dollar). Then they give you change in pesos. I think you could get totally by with dollars but I like the idea of having pesos as most prices are in pesos.

Also, the exchange from an ATM would have been OK but every time i went to the one ATM they had in town it was either out of cash or broken.

I spent $450 us total for 10 days including the bus trip their and back. But I do not drink much and I avoided the expensive restaurants for dinner ($15-20) and made most of my own breakfasts and lunches. My guess is about $30-40 per day for food/drink for an average person.

Wyatt has a guy called Samuel that does some taxi-ing, so you might be fine getting there in the morning. I guess you could go in the night before and get a hotel.
johnl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bsangeor wrote:

Thanks for that info. We're flying to LAP and Wyatt or a driver is supposed to pick us up. I'm a little worried about the return flight since we depart at 6am and not sure how reliable the transportation will be at that time of the morning.

If I exchange for peso's, any suggestions for how much I should plan to spend per day. I doubt that I would cook much, so 3 meals out.

How far is the town/restaurants from Wyatt's place?

I just got back. Skip the pesos exchange. ANY place in La Ventana will take US dollars. They exchange at a ROUND exchange rate. In other words it was 1 to 12 when I was there. The official rate (at the airport) was 1 to 11.80. It isn't worth the hassle. Forget credit cards. You really don't need them. $300 a week is eating and drinking like a king. I took $900 for a two day trip and came back with over $300. I drank several margaritas every night, ate out dinner every night, and bought breakfast and lunch supplies at the store. I also paid $80 for the taxi in and $45 for the taxi out. However take $180 for each way just in case you are the only one. FORGET a rental car unless you are only staying for a week and have people to split it with. Then you will rent it for pretty much what the maximum taxi cost would be.

When I was there I sailed a short sleeved 3mm. I was quite warm every day. Some people were in shorties and I could have gotten by with one but I didn't bring it. It is getting colder however, so you might want the full length 3mm.

You CAN walk to the close restaurants, but if you are staying at Wyatt's then you can use the quads to drive to the stores and food places. If the place is packed however there are only 4 or 5 quads, so you might have to work it out with the others or ride "bitch" Smile

6 AM flight? Wow, that sucks. 2 hour drive, plus get there at least 1 hour probably 1 1/2 hours before the flight. So that is a very early taxi. The taxi's are reserved in advanced and they are very professional, but I would ask Wyatt about the early hour. That means leaving around 2:30 am. That is something I'm not sure of....
Brian_S

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnl wrote:

$300 a week is eating and drinking like a king. I took $900 for a two day trip and came back with over $300. I drank several margaritas every night, ate out dinner every night, and bought breakfast and lunch supplies at the store.
6 AM flight? Wow, that sucks. 2 hour drive, plus get there at least 1 hour probably 1 1/2 hours before the flight. So that is a very early taxi. ....

Johnl,
I think you meant that you stayed two *weeks* - right?

We're flying to LAP, which I was told was only 40 minutes from LaVentana. Still, with getting to the airport on time, that's quite early for the taxi guy.

I am staying at Wyatt's place. We like to walk, so if it's not long or unsafe, then the walk would be better than the quad's.

Thanks for all the info.

johnl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes two weeks. That would be a tad pricy for 2 days Smile I drove to La Paz with a friend on a no wind day (not the airport, just the city). It seemed a little longer ride than 45 minutes, but that's just me. Also the Taxi guys drive much faster Smile

As for safety, unless you are a total moron and like to start trouble, La Ventana is about as safe as it gets....
kevinkan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also never exchange for pesos. I was there the week before last and most places were giving me 12:1... with the occasional 11.5:1. I'd rather give up half a point than come back to the states with a whole bunch of pesos. As far as recommendations go, I really enjoyed eating at Adelita's about 1/2 mile past the Pemex station on the left in El Sargento. They had good chilaquiles rojo with eggs for breakfast. I also liked the hot dogs at Tacos Leon (just before Adelita's). Adelita's also has the best chile rellenos... I could eat there breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Wyatt has the place dialed and can give you more recommendations. The donut/juice guy also stops by Wyatt's on Tuesday and Saturday mornings... a real advantage that he stops there first before hitting the campground.

Have fun!

Some pics from our trip: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rathokan/sets/72157640134147873/

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
LUCARO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevinkan wrote:
The donut/juice guy also stops by Wyatt's on Tuesday and Saturday mornings... a real advantage that he stops there first before hitting the campground.

Flan!
wyattmiller

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Brian,

Ya taxi to La Paz for a 6AM flight is no problem. Our taxi guy has given several guests rides there for the same flight and it as never been an issue.

We may not be up to say goodbye though.. ha.Wink
windoggi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to Wyatt and Tyson for a great 10 days for the Berkeley geezers...sailed every day but one. The hospitality was the best, as was the beautiful setting of La Ventana. ATVs made exploring a hoot and the food everywhere was yummy and cheap. Pro Windsurf is the way to go in my estimation. See you next year!

ps...we rented a van but rented wheels aren't really necessary with the ATVs around.

Brian_S

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wyatt,
Is it true that ALL guest are required to do the scorpion/tequila shot thing? Crying or Very sad

wyattmiller

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep guests are to provide the whole crew with beer until they get at least one scorpion tequila shot under their belts. Wink)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiasuoxmyEs

scorpion.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  269.31 KB
 Viewed:  9841 Time(s)

scorpion.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: