myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Looking for a used freeride board 150-160 liters
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darbonne

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject: Looking for a used freeride board 150-160 liters Reply with quote

Looking to get my first shortboard.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice

Are you looking for help to pick which one ?

Are you looking for the board to purchase ?

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Darbonne

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking for someone who is selling one. I have been searching but there doesn't seem to be many available. Worldwinds has a used Fanatic Shark 165 for $699.00. With shipping it's a little more than I wanted to spend on one. Found a couple on the other windsurfing classifieds, but the site has problems and I can't contact the seller. This will be my 3rd season windsurfing. First season I was on a Start, last year I got my Kona. I feel like I am ready to try a short board now. I weigh 195 and my biggest freeride sail is an 8.0. I don't want to go too small. According to Douglas' calculator I should stay in the 140 to 160 range.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your skills are up to it, I would go to the 140ish board. You have your big board for the light wind. Tabou Rocket standard construction would be a really good board.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darbonne,

I'm in a situation similar to yours and I'm currently 220#. I learned on my Kona, plan to keep it and looking now to master shortboarding. I completed 3 short seasons, I'm confident with my waterstarts and sail inland only.

I tried a 139l Go 2 years ago (was 200#) and found it easy to schlog. I own a 115l kid board based on a wave shape that I find difficult to get going since it's quite turny. I was also given an old 105l slalom board that's much easier to get going. It needs a decent fin however but I don't feel like buying Trim-box fins. In the end, I found for next season a better 105 freeride board with Powerbox fins. My smaller Kona fin will also fit as a large fin for the freeride board.

From the info on the web and board measurements, I think the Kona is similar to a 135l board while on the plane. With this background, my personal idea of a board to complement the Kona is a 105-115l freeride board to be used in 5.0 to 6.0 weather. My Kona is well balanced for my 7.5 and 9.0, but is trickier with the 6.0.

In a perfect world, I would use the smallest board that can handle my 7.5 in order to maximize my TOW with the short board. I hope I'll be able to stretch the 105 freeride to handle the 7.5 sail... In your case, a 130l board might fit well with your 8.0.

I might also rent again the 139l Go to smooth the transition to the smaller board but I don't expect to own a freeride board of a similar size. Maybe in a few years I'd like to have a JP SLW as a specialized board, but not before I master shortboarding.

Good luck!
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, when considering your first short board, you ought to share with us the sails you want to use and the wind conditions at your usual sailing sites. When it comes to high volume boards, they're usually focused on the use of very large sails in light winds, at least with performance oriented boards where you're looking to plane the majority of time. Also, they are great if you are really big guy because you need a bigger board and larger sails to sail with the average sized guys.

However, if you are the average sized guy, you're going to want a 110-120 liter board tops for sailing up to 7.5 quite easily. A board this size would be very comfortable sailing in the 5.2-7.5 range, and you can realistically expand your range a bit smaller (5.0) or larger (maybe 8.0) with a few different fins. The 110-120 liter range is uphaulable, but you should be waterstarting to get the most out of things.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 180 lbs, I use a 9.5, 8.5, and 6.5 on a 150 ltr board for lakes. At 195,
I doubt you're going to be comfortable, with even a 7.5 on a board below 120 Ltrs. At your weight, I'd go 140 minimum for lakes. You won't be able to stretch that much below 6.0 conditions, but you'll get a lot of riding in the 14-20 MPH range.

-Craig
joe_windsurfxxx

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am confused...
after just two(2) summers ....
you have a Kona One and you write about getting a Shark 165 with an 8m sail
at your/our weight the Shark + 8m is about 16 + knot winds
that should be great for the Kona, non ??
i.e. too much overlap

as discussed , the Kona is good for 7m to 9m sails - depending
that's about 12 knots to 18 + knots {does this sound like your conditions ?? }
you can practice starts, harness, footstraps, jibes -> technique

THEN, when you are ready, get a board that handles your weight , conditions, technique and
probably sails 5m to 7m
guess around 125 liters - Rocket, Shark, etc
there should be plenty used in that range ...

in summary : do you NEED that shortboard already ??
AND i used my 124 liter board with 6.3 ONCE last year
then again - i do not go out in over about 23 knots...
ALL depends on YOUR local conditions, YOUR skills, etc

don't underestimate the Kona
it can handle quite a bit
here is an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbqeW-U3MNU
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I (obviously) agree with Joe.

I would like to add that if your Kona misbehave like the one in the video in stronger winds, you can tame it down with a smaller fin. I use the 46 in 9.0 and light 7.5 weather. The 40 in 7.5 and light 6.0. And I tried a 28 onshore wave fin with good success (Makani Kaku) in heavy/overpowered 6.0 conditions.

This last combination was much better than I tought. I was afraid it would be unsailable, but it allowed the board to slowly accelerate (instead of exploding) to a plane and made the board easily controllable. I had to adjust my stance to use more of the board rail instead of sailing from the fin.

That's the kind of thing you can learn by sticking a bit more to your Kona...
westender

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching that video, what's the problem? Looks like the board is better than the sailor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: