myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Exocet RS 7 for light air fun

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rgomez

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:58 am    Post subject: Exocet RS 7 for light air fun Reply with quote

Hi,

Im an intermediate windsurfer who can beachstart, waterstarted a few times too weighing 65kgs currently using a jp funster 180 with a 7.5 sail and a 30 rushwind fin..I usually sail in a flat water bay and plane at around 15-18 knots of wind while the average wind in my location is 10-15 knots with a few 20knot days.

I may have the opportunity to pick up a used exocet rs7 in good condition for around 800USD. Would this board make a big difference in the amount of planing time I get? Would it make a much better light wind board than my current funster?

Unfortunately, I live in India where there are no windsurf dealers or shops so I have to bring equipment down whenever family goes abroad.

http://www.exocet-original.com/files/boards/Exo14-rs-slalom-EN.pdf

Thanks.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

those are pic's of the 2014 RS boards. they are really good boards, made for expert racers. provided you don't get pulled over by the sail and smash the nose, this will be quite good in the lightest of winds. you may find it will not feel balanced with sails smaller than 7.5. also, you may wish to acquire a few fins as well. one for ultra light wind, then the next 2 a bit progressively smaller and stiffer for stronger conditions.

for the money, and with extra care, these types of boards are lots of fun.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
d0uglass

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cheapest way to plane earlier would probably be to put a bigger fin on the Funster and work on your pumping and footstraps techniques.

A fin in the 45-50 cm range would be a good match for your 7.5 and could potentially lower your planing threshold to 12-15 knots instead of 15-18 knots.

I assume you know you also need to retract the daggerboard for the board to plane.

The RS7 looks like a sweet board, but with your current skills and "small" 7.5 sail you wouldn't really be able to take advantage of its potential.

jfeehan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used Funsters to teach my kids at Vela.

They are really heavy, and not very early to plane.

At your skill level, you would definitely appreciate a lighter board.

I'm not sure that a race board is really the right choice, but if you don't have much in the way of used gear to choose from, it might be better than nothing.

90cm is pretty wide, and with very outboard footstrap positions, it won't be easy to sail. if there are inboard footstrap positions, it might not be that bad, but often race boards only have the outboard position.
rangerider

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

90 cm slalom board, light-weight, $800? You will love it. Get an appropriate fin and a bigger sail if you can but the 7.5 will be fine to start. It will feel a lot different than the Funster in a good way. I learned a ton about planing threshold and technique on my Starboard Ultrasonic which is conceptually similar. I sail with a 7.5M 2cam sail and a 9.5M 2 cam - I would also like an 11M but that is beside the point. The 7.5 isn't a perfect pairing because the board will bounce a lot in winds that the 7.5 is ideal for.

I have fun planing out of the straps in lower winds (watch out for catapults) because it really helps me focus on board / sail / body position. I am an intermediate at best and although I was intimidated by the slalom profile and carbon construction I found it easy to get used to so I doubt you will have any trouble. I did apply a foam nose protector just-in-case but fortunately I haven't tested it yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: