myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wavesailing with 125L Freeride Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jama

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject: Wavesailing with 125L Freeride Board Reply with quote

I currently only own one board (my 125L Tabou Rocket) and I am interested in trying some wavesailing. I am wondering if I should try wavesailing with my Rocket or if I should look into a wave board or a windsurf/SUP board instead.

If I do use my Rocket, I think I will most likely need a different fin. At the moment, I only have the stock 44cm fin that came with the board.

I have been windsurfing on short boards for the last few summers and I can plane in the harness and waterstart. I am just starting to get into the footstraps and learning to carve jibe. I am 5'-11" (180 cm) and weigh 160 pounds (73 kg).

Also, I do have access to several early 90's era longboards (from 180L to 220L). Would these be better for learning the ropes in wavesailing? To me, they are similar to windsurf/SUP boards.

Thanks! Smile
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neither the Rocket or the others mentioned are close to suitable.

A wave board should have a outline that allows sharp turns , so very maneuverable.

A sweep type fin/wave would be necessary is you used the Tabou, and smaller than you have.

wave boards are generally considered not more than 105L, certainly not much more for your weight.

FWIW a FSW around 105L would be a option.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used free ride boards for light wind applications in medium to small surf for years before exocet reintroduced planing long boards.

a shorter fin will help get out over inside sand bars. but too short is a relative feature. try a 34 cm fin or so. much smaller than that, and upwind slogging will suffer terribly.

in my experience, planing or getting thru the impact zone becomes far more important than turning until one can become used to the holistic concepts of getting out, judging and grabbing waves.

shoot, i can remember threshing around on waves with a 7.0 sail, and a HiFly 282 a long time ago in some pretty ugly, beefy onshore conditions. my skills thru experience didn't happen overnight, but if i had followed the maui dogma of tiny gear only in the surf, i'd remain a flat water speed junkie?

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Wavesailing with 125L Freeride Board Reply with quote

If you are just starting to get into the footstraps and beginning to work on carving jibes, I would say that you are asking for a lot of broken gear. I would recommend buying a SUP board (150-180 liters) with a windsurfing insert, and learning to SUPsurf. It's great fun, it's a low wind alternative water sport, it's relatively easy to learn to catch waves and do some basic waveriding, and it will be hugely helpful for you once you're out there on windsurfing gear. And of course you can go out with a small sail and begin to play with that.

When you have fast waterstarting wired and a dependable dry jibe, then you can start messing with waves on your Rocket. You will immediately conclude that you need a more suitable board, but that doesn't mean you can goof around on waves. I think you'll learn about waves the fastest at this point by pure SUPsurfing.

(Per U2U2U2's note on the 105 FSW board, with which I agree, if you look at my icon photo I'm on a 109 FS board in waves. I'm 5'11" 164 lbs.)

Jama wrote:
I currently only own one board (my 125L Tabou Rocket) and I am interested in trying some wavesailing. I am wondering if I should try wavesailing with my Rocket or if I should look into a wave board or a windsurf/SUP board instead.

If I do use my Rocket, I think I will most likely need a different fin. At the moment, I only have the stock 44cm fin that came with the board.

I have been windsurfing on short boards for the last few summers and I can plane in the harness and waterstart. I am just starting to get into the footstraps and learning to carve jibe. I am 5'-11" (180 cm) and weigh 160 pounds (73 kg).

Also, I do have access to several early 90's era longboards (from 180L to 220L). Would these be better for learning the ropes in wavesailing? To me, they are similar to windsurf/SUP boards.

Thanks! Smile

rswabsin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should be fine giving your Rocket a try in the surf as an introductory board. Like Jinge said above, try a smaller fin around 34 cm and pick a day when there is sufficient wind to plane with a 6 or 6.5 sail and the waves are on the smaller side - say roughly waist high or less. Your goal the first few times should be to get the feel of sailing out and up over breaking waves, carving a jibe on the outside swell and staying upwind. Make sure all your gear is in good shape (downhaul/outhaul lines universal, mast , boom) and you are confident in water starting or uphauling If all looks good - give it a go. If you feel really good about your first few times out on the ocean you might want to look into one of the newer FSW type boards that offer early planning and maneuverability in the surf and swells.

Rob
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

warning, do not hook in while plying thru the impact zone without being in the foot straps, or at least the front one. one will get thrown back toward the beach if one thinks one can blithely hammer out with disregard to whait waters checking force. squat down a tad, apply extra mast foot pressure and release the back hand just a touch as the force of the wave tries to throw you over the front....
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

additionally, if one can find a planing long board, then one could, perhaps skip having to paddle at all? like me. i have used the kona one, kona 11'5, windSUP 10' and 11'8 all successfully for years. i have used them in very light winds that some may find too light. it's taken me years, but i've retained my ability to forgo the paddle.....
d0uglass

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't hurt to try the rocket in waves.

You'll want a fin in the low 30 cm range, or maybe smaller if bumping sandbars is a concern.

Single, centered footstrap in the back, if possible, and front footstraps moved in towards the centerline of the board.

Sail should have a high cut foot and no cams.

Stay away from shorebreak, rocks, and waves > 3 feet high until you get the hang of it. You want to minimize the time you spend "fiddling around" in the zone of breaking waves. Just get on and get out.

Don't outrun the wave. When you catch a wave, try to stay on the slope of it by going more upwind or downwind than you would normally sail.

PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

d0uglass wrote:

Single, centered footstrap in the back, if possible, and front footstraps moved in towards the centerline of the board.

This will help you with getting into the footstraps in general at this point in your learning.

The rest of James' ("d0uglass") suggestions are good too. Where are you planning on doing your wavesailing?

keycocker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When crossing a wave on the way out, turn sharply down and then back on course, trying not to stall.
Did you read the part above about NOT in shore break at first?

You will find it hard to match speed with a wave in the right spot so keep trying.

Turning only matters on your unsuitable rocket if you are turning on the wave.
Just go out and turn in sorta flat water, then come back over a wave and surf in going straight. Your big board will actually help you catch a wave.

If you are down and in trouble and going around a few wash cycles move to the top of the mast. After the wave hits you there wil be a pause then a big jerk when it hits the board.

Never get in a spot with the board between you and the wave. It wil slam into you when the wave hits it.

If the board gets away from you, do not hesitate. Swim after it as fast as you can. The next wave will wash it out of your reach. Swim madly. You will run out of energy. The waves will not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: