myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
lake arenal / costa rica
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coachg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I set up a separate post for the short board tack debate. Stop trying to hijack this thread.

Tstizzle,

Thank you for such a nice post. With the death of Windsurfing magazine & only a couple of issues per year from Windsport, getting first hand, up-to-date information is just hard to find. Sitting here through a mild, windless winter, your forum blog was enjoyable and I'm sure boosted the windsurf stoke for many. Mr. Alcorn will tell me all about over a post session beer this summer I'm sure.

Coachg
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
I set up a separate post for the short board tack debate. Stop trying to hijack this thread.

Tstizzle expressly requested advice on techniques for staying upwind, especially in marginal winds. Some of us responded. At the risk of confusion but if it makes you happy, I'll move my comments there and leave it up to Tstizzle if he wants to pursue the topic further.

Mike \m/
jp5

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A trip to this lake is definitely on my bucket list!
SPQR

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tstizzle - thanks for the report on the new Freewave, sounds like Fanatic hit the bullseye, nice graphics too!
tstizzle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thombiz wrote:
tstizzle, thanks so much for the post on Lake Arenal. I've heard small bits of information about it, but your posts have amped up my desire to give it a vist! Thank you so very much!

glad to hear it! this place is fun and different and funky and windy. not your typical beach windsurfing rental...

plus, i'm glad you liked the posts. i tried hard to do a good job so it means a lot to me to get positive feedback on it.

Last edited by tstizzle on Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:54 am; edited 1 time in total
tstizzle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you guys are all awesome! thanks for the positive feedback about the posts. i really appreciate it. i was reluctant to start this post, and i have to admit it has been a lot of work, with the bad internet connections here.

but it makes my very happy to hear from people who have enjoyed it!
tstizzle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:29 am    Post subject: lake arenal windsurfing / day 14 Reply with quote

well, it has arrived: Day 14 of my two week trip to lake arenal / Ticowind. unfortunately, i have less time than i thought i would have because of a long day sailing and a bbq afterward (we got a kilo of fresh tuna loin and another of camarones from the coastal fisherman). so i don't think i will have time for another final post until i get home tomorrow night late.

i will post another then, however, and let you all know the summary of the trip's sailing conditions. for now, suffice it to say i sailed a 4.2 in the morning from 9 - 11:30 and then a 4.7 from 1:30 to 4:30. yep, you heard that right: 1:30 to 4:30. my palms are bleeding...

will post a summary asap, but it's likely it will be monday morning when that happens so, until then, thanks for listening and thank you for all the positive feedback!!!

Last edited by tstizzle on Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: It Doth Wind Reply with quote

tstizzle wrote:
isobars wrote:
but where are all those 3 to 5 foot swell you talked about?

there's no way i could get a pic of the swell. it's further out in the lake and all i have is a crappy point-n-shoot. plus, i'm more into the sailing than the picture-taking.

You and me both! Thanks for the clarification; it's a big help, since GoPros mash the swell flat and -- as I now know -- shoreshots don't do it justice.
tstizzle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: It Doth Wind Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
tstizzle wrote:
isobars wrote:
but where are all those 3 to 5 foot swell you talked about?

there's no way i could get a pic of the swell. it's further out in the lake and all i have is a crappy point-n-shoot. plus, i'm more into the sailing than the picture-taking.

You and me both! Thanks for the clarification; it's a big help, since GoPros mash the swell flat and -- as I now know -- shoreshots don't do it justice.

yeah, i wish i could have done more to show the swell. i zoomed the point-n-shoot out to it's max but still... it's NOTHING like as big as the hatchery on a really windy day. but it still gets big. it's also much steeper and sharper than the hatchery, more like a wave-swell (if that makes sense). on a windy day like yesterday it was about 5-6 feet at its biggest.
tstizzle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject: Windsurfing Lake Arenal - Wrapup Reply with quote

well, the trip is over. nothing left to do but listen to the fat lady sing. off to the airport in a few minutes for the flight to houston and then san francisco.

in summary, we were here for 14 days of sailing. we sailed 13 out of 14. of those 13, about half were sub-5.0 for an average guy (i'm a "rounder" so i was a touch bigger).

the other half were a mix between small gear and bigger gear, 4.2 and 5.4. overall, not only reliably windy, but a great mix of wind speeds. just as your arms get tired, the wind eased up a bit.

the weather was warm and generally sunny. although the daytime often brought some clouds along with the wind. kind of like that old expression: don't like the weather? just wait 5 minutes. however, i'm going home as brown as a berry, so there was definitely plenty of sunshine.

people who come here come back year after year. my companion has been coming here for six or seven years and he is a relative newcomer (though accepted by the old guard). in other words, people who know, choose lake arenal.

see you on the water!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 8 of 11

Jump to: