myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsport, late fall2013 issue ISOBARS glorified
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeconicPuffin wrote:
I had several conversations with the author

Yup -- the same back-door method you used to persuade WSMag to drop their invitation to me to write a regular column for them, I presume. Don't congratulate yourself too hard for that; it didn't interest me, as I've had enough publication deadlines with the dozen magazines I've written for to last me for decades.
drysuit2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
PeconicPuffin wrote:

Yup -- the same back-door method you used to persuade WSMag to drop their invitation to me to write a regular column for them, I presume. Don't congratulate yourself too hard for that; it didn't interest me, as I've had enough publication deadlines with the dozen magazines I've written for to last me for decades.

What is your by line for your dozen magazines you have written for? I would like to read these article's.
I would prefer to read 12, than 12,000.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe i have not been abundantly clear about what foot to put in the straps first. in most venues with light winds with some stronger yet gustier days, front foot first. why? if one weights the back of the board too much, in light winds, the board plows for lots of people. especially ones that don't appreciate how much they have to weight the booms, ALL THE TIME, no matter which method they choose in ANY venue.

advice given to people on the World Wide Web might best be given with the consideration that there are some really less than perfect places to sail in the world.

yesterday was a very classic day here in east central florida. the wind was fairly strong out of the SW, yet the temp's in orlando got very hot for this time of year. the sea breeze negated this SW wind for a few hours at some places more than others. wind was hot and blasty offshore, or very light onshore at my chosen beach break. inland, at calema, the turnout was good for this time of year. those at the top of their game were blasting around. those that were not were flogging about. one was trying to do the iso-crap with his back foot.....

this sport should be about maximizing the fun in any venue. i try to give advice, when asked, that applies to all venues, not maui or the gorge, or some other place that has a culture that sneers at anything larger than a 6.0 sail.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
PeconicPuffin wrote:

I don't remember doing that (Josh, if you're around, did I?) but certainly I would have. I said the same things to the editors there as I say here. That's not back door, it's direct.

isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beaten to death, J, yet you still misrepresent and/or ignore everything I've said about BFF. That's unfair to readers.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drysuit2 wrote:
What is your by line for your dozen magazines you have written for? I would like to read these article's.
I would prefer to read 12, than 12,000.

My byline has been the same as everyone here knows: my real name (I don't hide behind a screen name). But it's probably much easier to find my WSing forum posts (including the other half prior to "isobars") than copies of the many dirt bike, WSing (most, maybe all, U.S. based WS mags short of Windsport), meteorological, and health and fitness print (~ a dozen) and digital (1) magazines (plus some newspapers) for which I've written many op ed pieces, articles, regular columns, and/or entire issues over the last 40+ years.

Mike Fick \m/
justall

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, why not …

I had dinner a few years back with Steve Martin. He asked around the table who folks looked to as a role model. One person said Mother Teresa. One highlighted a top athlete. Another emotionally honored his father. Another suggested the Chairman of the company I work for (OK, that was me because he was at the table, and I went for the laugh rather than the contemplative response). Steve, on the other hand, said he finds a role model in everyone … he likes to identify a characteristic of every individual that he finds exceptional … he doesn’t fret about not aligning with everything an individual says or does. I like and follow this way of thinking; broadening it, it makes discussions (and internet forums) powerful. You can take what you like and discard all the rest. You can read every post or ignore any you chose. You can align with the consensus or disagree completely.

I love reading this forum, and contributing when I can. Whether piling-on or being piled-on, the debate pushes our thinking and makes us try new things. So, press on with the facts, the opinions, the witticisms, and the arguments. It would be a shame to lose anyone’s voice

(Ok … Truth be told, the dinner was with Steve Martin, a banker … not Steve Martin the comedian … but still a great way of thinking.)

While we are at it … I do both, FFF and BFF, and would recommend that. Sometimes one just feels so much more ready for the strap that I let ‘er go in, regardless of rules … that freedom was my eye opener. My favorite, though not recommended, is trying to get both in at the same time. Hanging in that harness, then jump a bit and get ‘em in there. (added this last paragraph just to justify posting in the “Windsurfing Discussion” portion of the forum.)
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnl wrote:
U2U2U2 wrote:

So this is the post and what are the reasons ?

Windsport did not honor.. honor what ?

He didnt read it because .. Windpsort chose not to send it, maybe because its not an interview or .. whatever ? he has no sub, and cant be bothered to get a copy, like at the local WINDSURF Store ?

Not to come to Iso's defense or anything, but "local Windsurf store"? You know he lives in the tri-cities area of Washington right? What is local about Hood River (where the "local" stores" are) to that area? That's probably 80 - 100 miles or so. Not really like walking across the street to the store to pick up a mag.

Personally I had difficulties trying to renew my subscription with Windsport and decided as much as I enjoyed the tutorial articles, not much else interested me, so I just quite trying to get it renewed. I don't consider having a magazine subscription to a windsurfing magazine a requirement of being an active windsurfer....

Right I lost my head that someone would drive that distance to secure the magazine. The phrase local store , should have been the closest one.

His residence is of zero interest to me.

cant help with the subscription , sorry

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justall wrote:
I do both, FFF and BFF, and would recommend that.

Exactly what I've recommended for decades. Let's see if you get pilloried for it. as I do. MAny of these people want to dictate the method they're stuck in as the only acceptable option for everyone. The biggest difference is that I prefer BFF, for many reasons these guys have proved unable to comprehend, judging by their incessantly incorrect description of the process.

justall wrote:
Sometimes one just feels so much more ready for the strap that I let ‘er go in, regardless of rules … that freedom was my eye opener. My favorite, though not recommended, is trying to get both in at the same time. Hanging in that harness, then jump a bit and get ‘em in there.

I do that once in a blue moon as part of my foot jibe. Both feet are in the air or skimming the deck simultaneously as I switch my feet unhooked, and they occasionally ... as in very rarely ... come back down into the straps simultaneously. Better yet are the even rarer times the line hooks in at the same time both feet go in. (The line hooks in fairly often as both feet come down, but a strap/strap/hook trifecta is almost unheard of in my experience.)

See, folks, how peaceful it is to discuss WSing without all the personal spew?
windoggi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Racist
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: