myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsup 2014
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpeter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Windsup 2014 Reply with quote

Once I am back from winter this year, i plan to buy a 150 liter, 9ft+/- windsup.
Triple purpose:
- Teach my 9 yo to windsurf, will get a kids rig. Looking at boards with powerbox centerboards that would be removed any time I use the gear.
- Sup sail in waves. Save the day when wind is below 20 and I commit to taking a sailing day. Maybe Bayview/mayflower when the kiters only have wind.
- Sup paddle/surf in waves. This will be new to me, maybe a save the day kind of thing or try a few days when waves are good.

So I have read about AHD Sealion XL, JP windsup, RRD wassup.

What else in this category are people using ? I have not seen any real use info on the JP, lots of french guys using the sealion, just saw the rrd.

As far as sailing goes I want something to work in the 10-17 range. I see the dilema between low wind performance non-planing and early planing.

JP
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi jpeter,

I bought a starboard windsup 10' x 34" x 191 litres. It is the most used board that I own. If there is any wind at all I can sail it, especially if there are some waves, as it has a wave board rocker, and is alot of fun to use when there are small waves to ride. I'ts a bit big though, and I'm thinking of going a bit smaller.

Great board for learning! I also have an old F2 Strato longboard from the early 90's, which was a board many of us older folk used to learn on. The windsup is way easier to sail and way more fun for anyone. I realy don't think you can go wrong getting one. I love mine, and have been windsurfing for nearly 30 years.

If you want low wind planing you may be dissapointed, as many windsups have a surfboard rocker. I'm on something much smaller once the wind hits 15 or so.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delete
http://www.epicgearusa.com/

Last edited by jingebritsen on Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:55 am; edited 1 time in total
jpeter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: STRATO Reply with quote

I owned a strato, 11ft something I remember, a small board at the time, bit narrow ... my first waterstart on one, fell into water in pleasant bay while hooked in and wind pulled my back onto the board. I thought, well that was easy. Maybe 1985 or so.

Seems like there are quite a few wsupers in the 10-10'6 range around here.

I did see one of those step tail boards, I think the exocet, in Nauset sports last month. I think someone wrote on this forum that they broke one and got no help from the factory.

JP
d0uglass

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never tried the 10'0" exocet windsup, but I really like the 11'8" version.

In my experience, the 11'8" is ideal for teaching adults, and I would think the 10'0" would be ideal for teaching kids. Of course you'll want to use a smaller tail fin when teaching so the kid can tack it with a tiny sail.

The JP, RRD, and SeaLion XL all look like cool boards, and I think they'll plane if given enough wind, but I'm pretty sure none of those will plane as early as the exocets.

surfersbeach

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, someone can comment on the 2014 new windsup 9'2 and 10'2 from exocet. Try to find reviews or vids of the boards and haven't found any.

Thanx.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

surfersbeach, check your pm.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
jpeter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: long boards Reply with quote

Douglas, I will see if I can demo a big windsup to get a feel for what it's like. A friend has an 11ft something Naish and raves about it. I figure for the teaching, my son weighs 65 lbs so small board should not matter. I have a bic calypso if the teaching is a fail with the windsup. Just the Bic weighs a ton and is a pain to cart around.

Happy new year, JP
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the learning part is important in the equation, having a movable daggerboard is important. It allows a beginner to learn to plane on the fin, and if dragged downwind, he can lower the daggerboard and easily come back upwind.

I have a board with a DTT center fin and I really find inconvenient to switch modes. For whatever reason, switching the center fin is more cumbersome than switching the normal fin. Another reason to want a daggerboard.

I don't have an Exocet WindSUP but I have a Kona One which is the family favorite. For that reason, the WindSUP would be high on my list if I was looking for another board.
HatterasFever

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've been sup sailing now for 4 years. here is the deal... if you want to wave sail (which is different than sailing in the waves:-) the board needs to be short. Under 8'.

I haven't found a do-it-all board. The length needed for a do-it-all board is too big a compromise for wave sailing. I have a sealion for wave sailing, (the Fanatic Pro wave 8' and the RRD7'11' are alternatives to the sealion for wave sailing but the new RRD model has the mast insert removed..duh..what where they thinking??.. anyways.. )

I have wave sailed in as little as 5 knots, but prefer anything in the 8-14 range.. its so nice to be on a clean wave. I find myself looking forward to the sup sail days more than regular sailing.

The best wave sup sailing is done in side-off to really side-off (mostly offshore) this is important especially in lighter winds. (your apparent wind speed goes up once you drop in on the wave which makes turning, cutting back.. etc.. easy compared to the same wind speed with an onshore direction..and getting out is easier... its pulling you out rather than pushing you in..not to mention a perfectly clean wave face due to the offfshore wind which makes everything more fun.)

If you just want to poke around in the surf or sound and teach the kids...there are a ton of boards that will do that job. i've concluded that i need several sup boards.. to do it right rather than one do it all board. pick up a second hand board for the kids and friends to use and get yourself a dedicated wave sup.

keith sealion contest si.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  140.65 KB
 Viewed:  24006 Time(s)

keith sealion contest si.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: