myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
fastest board
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: fastest board Reply with quote

Don't know if Richard Greene is still making boards or not, but if you
can find a GEM (Greene Epoxy Maui) slalom board, I rode one in the
Gorge for years, and they are fast in chop (or the flats) "without being to squirrelly."

-Craig

frederick23 wrote:
Looking for ideas on a fast board in the 110 - 120 liter range. New or old design will work. Able to support 5.5 - 7.5 Stability for uphaul and slogging a plus, as well as dealing with chop on offshore winds on Lake Michigan. Want some speed with straps in the out position, without being to squirrelly. Sounds like a dating want ad.
keycocker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greene told me he was done with laminating and destroying his health.
He makes a good living making helicopter parts instead of excellent boards.
The layup work I saw in his shop was as good as I have ever seen in a board.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
I would recommend something different, like a used Mike's Lab. I've been riding them since 1992, and my first one was a used 1990 8'10". It was an awesome board, and it convinced me where my money was going in the future. Mike's boards are really well sorted out to ride in demanding conditions. I don't know if you've sailed at spots in the SF Bay, but I will say that it can be a very challenging and rewarding place to sail. Trust me and take a chance. You won't be disappointed. Finest quality, fast and extremely well balanced.

not so much different from what I recommended, a custom.

This would be a brilliant option, a Mikes Lab, the one I had at Berkeley was fast by any standards , Mach 1 fast

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
keycocker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember, the descriptions always say these production boards are fast handle chop well and turn well.
You have to pick one from this list.
Fastest boards do not handle chop well in the real world, because their bottoms are flat and the rails are sharp further back.

Boards which really turn well, like wave boards, are not actually fast.
They have a banana shape in the front and back. Front not so important because it is not in the water when you go fast. In the back it is a deal killer for speed.
The manufacturers are not misleading you, they are marketing with relative terms.
Even on this site a judgement is relative. By fast a sailor means faster than the other boards I sail.

Rent something. Borrow something. Sail the fast guys boards at your site.
If you buy online you are just hoping for the best.
A Greene, Thommen, or Taboul custom costs from $2200 to $2500 and almost certain to be faster than you.
You knew this stuff because you had the good sense to ask here and are getting some excellent advice.
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fanatic Hawk X 2....fastest board I rode when testing for Windsurfing Magazines board test. That thing was freaky fast, and the best times on the radar were always on that board.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most important is YOUR skill level.
If you can race slalom competitively, and at least at the National level, are big, over 180 lbs., then a pure slalom race board from ANY company is the fastest.
However, if your skill level allows even ONE fall in a jibe out of 20, then probably a fast freeride board is your fastest option.
If you fall even more often, then a regular freeride board that is around 118 liters will allow you to reach your fastest speeds most often.
Waterat Pat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out a Mistral Syncro. I have a 114l model about 6yrs old that is crazy fast. Also has a bit of rocker so its not a 1 trick pony. Jumps well as it was originally made for supercross racing. Remember the inflatable obstacles.
Gybes well. Popular board so chances of finding one used on the cheap are quite good.
I have even surfed head high waves on mine with a 6.2 sail and granted it turned like a pig but it worked.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waterat Pat wrote:
Check out a Mistral Syncro. I have a 114l model ...
I have even surfed head high waves on mine with a 6.2 sail and granted it turned like a pig but it worked.

Have you tried a better fin on it? My 114L Synchro doesn't seem fast, but it sure turns well; that's what I bought it for. The stock fin resisted sudden tight turns, but with an aftermarket fin on it and exaggerated back toe pressure (in the strap) it cranks out tight turns at decent speed just fine. It will probably turn even tighter with a heavy foot on the lee rail.
KBack

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: fastest board Reply with quote

frederick23 wrote:
Looking for ideas on a fast board in the 110 - 120 liter range. New or old design will work. Able to support 5.5 - 7.5 Stability for uphaul and slogging a plus, as well as dealing with chop on offshore winds on Lake Michigan. Want some speed with straps in the out position, without being to squirrelly. Sounds like a dating want ad.

I would consider a Hawk 120, its very fast and handle chop very well turns very well, plus it has a very good sail range... works well with 6.1 to 8.0 with ease.. works great for me on Lake Erie.. at 215lbs a 5.5 would be allot of sail for that board on Michigan but doable in a pinch.. in Hatteras it would be a differnt story... just my two cent... KBack
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: