myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Team Windwing board
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gerritt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool board. What does it weigh? I'm just curios to compare to modern boards. Looks to be polyester over clark foam.

I used to have a Sailboards Maui originally built in 1984 for one Mike Waltz. It was a double stringer clear polyester on clark foam and weighed in at about 22 pounds dry. It was short and wide at about 7'-10" with a winger pin tail and sported a thruster set up. Deep double concave nose to tail. In some respects it mirrored the current boards shaped by Keith Taboul. I wish I still had it just to show that everything goes in circles. I ditched it around 1994 for the newer narrow shapes of the times, but I always missed its unique ride. The thing was great in high wind with a 4.7 on down. Stuck to the water, planed up pretty early, and turned on a dime.
derekd

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's a waddell surfsail board. Steve Coletta, master shaper. Still in business,makes surfboards mostly now, he used to sponsor the schiebels, bill hansen, JD, me?, more, sailed on the windwings team.
derekd

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.naturalcurvesboards.com/html/shaperstevebio.html

you can email steve, I am sure he remembers the board.
dabull1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: History of Board Reply with quote

wprinz wrote:
Of course, this is not a board to sail, but for a wall (I don't have room) or museum. There is no history of windsurfing museum, maybe there should be.
You haven't been to my house, Third Wind Sherman Oaks! I still have a Bruce Jones double-concave slalom board shaped for Reid Lockhart of Santa Barbara Surf Sails/ Neil Pryde, vintage 1981-82! Want some Pryde Mark Angulo surf sails to go with it... got a quiver. I just can't part with old friends! Bull-out
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to high school with Steve Coletta in the 60s. We were all in the surf scene back then in Palos Verdes.
nw30

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted
mrchocky

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Team Windwing board Reply with quote

wprinz wrote:
I found (in the trash) a wave glass board ca ~ 1980, in perfect shape with "Team Windwing" inlaid in both sides. Bottom side also says "Waddel ...". Its in perfect condition, mostly yellow. I would like to know the history of this board, who owned it, where it sailed. It seems to me that there must be some Bay area history here. Please e mail me what you know. Also if you have a respectable place to exhibit this board, I will give it to you.

Hah! I threw this board away from Cal Sailing Club; and you picked up it from the free area, good!.

I "discovered" this board in the corner of the yard, after a former second vice (Matthias) showed up and told me it was there. It's way too old for us to keep, and I thought it deserved a better home. Matthias donated the board to the club, and tells me it's about 15 years old. You'll have to contact him for full history (don't know last name, sorry).

Peter, (Co) Second Vice Commodore, Cal Sailing Club
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: