myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Obama's Epic Failures
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 198, 199, 200  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nw30

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
NW30, sadly you miss the point. I'm not justifying anything. The hate on display will be the dog eat dog Republicans fighting amongst themselves for the purity of the party. The world will be watching.

Heh, never mind all the dems trying to distance themselves from Obamacare for their own miserable survival.
Nope, the dems are just one big solid party fully backing BHO in everything he tries to do.
Who are you kidding?
Too funny.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were's another one windoggie:

"Any fool can critisize, complain and condem, and most fools do."

Ben Franklin
boggsman1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
swchandler wrote:
NW30, sadly you miss the point. I'm not justifying anything. The hate on display will be the dog eat dog Republicans fighting amongst themselves for the purity of the party. The world will be watching.

Heh, never mind all the dems trying to distance themselves from Obamacare for their own miserable survival.
Nope, the dems are just one big solid party fully backing BHO in everything he tries to do.
Who are you kidding?
Too funny.

NW...I know you're dying for a repeat of 2010, but guess what? You're not going to get it. Housing starts were over 1,000,000 in November, by April unemployment will be at 6.7-6.8%, and hopefully the healthcare exchanges will be running smoothly. The FED tapered yesterday, and the market went parabolic...whats that tell you? The dollar is ripping, and the economy is set to roar.
windoggi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slinky wrote:
Were's another one windoggie:

"Any fool can critisize, complain and condem, and most fools do."

Ben Franklin
Yup. Another favorite of mine is..."beer is proof god loves us and wants us to be happy."
techno900

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggs said:
Quote:
NW...I know you're dying for a repeat of 2010, but guess what? You're not going to get it. Housing starts were over 1,000,000 in November, by April unemployment will be at 6.7-6.8%, and hopefully the healthcare exchanges will be running smoothly. The FED tapered yesterday, and the market went parabolic...whats that tell you? The dollar is ripping, and the economy is set to roar.

Actually, I hope you are right. But what I tried to point out in my "How Is The Economy Really Doing" thread is that the number of unemployed adults over age 16 today is that same as it was four years ago. Putting people back to work and getting them off support should be the BIG concern, and there seems to be NO progress in this area.

What is happening now with the economy is that the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer, which I thought is what the left is fighting against. But the left nevertheless praises what is happening with the current economy. You better hope for some "trickle down" or as I see it, we are still stuck in the recession when it comes to jobs.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Techno...there is hope. As I have said many times before, a massive percent of US economic growth is tied to the housing market. A massive multiplier is also attached to this sector. Thus, I referenced the 1mm housing start number. Lets see how it plays out in 2014. Today we revised Q3 GDP up to 4.1% quite respectable. This week, we froze GOVT spending at current levels. This week we learned that wind power is only 4% lower in cost than coal production of electricity. I am bullish on this great country, and it rarely pays to bet against the USA.
mac

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Techno--too much awfulizing. The housing market starts are up 20%, and the auto industry is hiring in this country. The first due to TARP and time to work the worst of the bad "investments" allowed under Republican policy through the system. The second due to Obama.

The long term future of manufacturing in this country is uncertain. It remains one of the largest employment areas in the country still, and increasing costs for transportation means it has some future here. A good starting point is to eliminate tax credits for moving jobs over seas. You know, the way Bain Capital made billions? Proposed by Obama, blocked by the Tea Party. A second measure would be to put people to work insulating houses. Entry level construction work, reduces carbon emissions, cost effective. Proposed by Obama, blocked by the Tea Party. In the long term, improve education. Actually being implemented with the new Core Curriculum, adopted by most states. You can always read the George Will rant about it to see how illogical the right is.

Do you have anything specific that you would propose? Would it be supported by the lemmings in suicide vests?
pueno

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:

What is happening now with the economy is that the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer, which I thought is what the left is fighting against. But the left nevertheless praises what is happening with the current economy. You better hope for some "trickle down" or as I see it, we are still stuck in the recession when it comes to jobs.

Techno, in this context, "trickle down" means that the middle class sends its dollars up to the very wealthy and a few pennies trickle back down to the poor. The conservative concept of "redistribution" means to redistribute all those dollars to the few at the top.

"Trickle down" has been recognized over and over and over to NOT work -- recognized by many societies, not just in the US.
pointster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac, I'm afraid that your take on US manufacturing ignores the effects of international terms of trade. The US has been running trade deficits since 1976. If we were operating in a true free trade environment, with open markets and floating exchange rates, large sustained trade imbalances could not occur. The value of US currency would fall in response to a trade deficit, and trade would go back into balance. (This is not some commie-Keynsian view, but that of Milton Friedman)

The problem is, some of our trading partners had (and have) export-led development policies of currency controls, tariffs and other trade barriers. US manufacturers have not been playing on a level playing field for a long time. I watched a TV program in which a furniture manufacturer in the southeast explained that they were closing their last factory in US and moving production to China. The CEO of the company said that although this factory was highly automated, and had an advantage in shipping costs, they could not compete with China, even if they reduced their labor costs to zero.

Those who promote a "Strong Dollar" are dooming US manufacturers. Our government should be responding to currency manipulation and trade barriers with tariffs and import restrictions to redress the imbalance. To some, this response would be called "Trade War". I would counter that we have been engaged in trade negotiations for decades, to little effect. Our trade partners are unlikely to engage in good faith negotiations with us if they don't believe we have the resolve to protect our interests.
pointster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to a video of Milton Friedman explaining how exchange rates lead to trade balance http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR_D3Q8To-s
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 198, 199, 200  Next
Page 3 of 200

Jump to: