myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
45 degrees + 31 degrees = I'm out.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justall

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: 45 degrees + 31 degrees = I'm out. Reply with quote

How many of you all keep going out below the 100 degree water + air temperature threshold? I was pleasantly surprised to have several solid October and November sessions this year in the DC area with only a 4/3 full and booties. A nice year, all things considered.

But, with the water now dipping into the low 40s and the air falling into the 20/30s, I'm out. On the bright side ... PA ski slopes have started up their snow machines!
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By a couple of degrees, but only in a 5mm (or Goretex) drysuit and windproof fleece hood. No gloves or booties.
Ugly_Bird

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 45 degrees + 31 degrees = I'm out. Reply with quote

justall wrote:
How many of you all keep going out below the 100 degree water + air temperature threshold?

Sailed Mascoma Lake yesterday from 1 to 2 pm. It was first time when I saw the sail ice up and develop nice frost patterns on the monofilm panels.
Used a 3/4 wetsuit with a rushguard under it, hood, 5 mm gloves and 7 mm booties.
At the end of the session took a pic of the luff with some ice on it.
Seems done for the season, 10 day forecast is quite pessimistic.

Andrei.

23-Nov-2013_1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  472.48 KB
 Viewed:  17122 Time(s)

23-Nov-2013_1.jpg

Ugly_Bird

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 45 degrees + 31 degrees = I'm out. Reply with quote

Ugly_Bird wrote:

At the end of the session took a pic of the luff with some ice on it.

23-Nov-2013_2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  356.39 KB
 Viewed:  17119 Time(s)

23-Nov-2013_2.jpg

amarie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get more and more wimpy every year. I'm not sure how to stop this backslide. My #1 limiting factor is my hands. I've tried all sorts of gloves and mittens. It has not yet stopped me from sailing, but my cold weather sessions have gotten shorter over the years. We don't get all that many days here below the 100 degree rule--maybe several per month during winter. But once the air temp hits the 40s my hands are in trouble. I did start bringing a small cooler filled with hot water so I can dip my hands afterward and regain enough flexibility to derig.

My body stays warm enough in a 5/3. On the coldest days (30s here, with high 50s water) I wear a thin fleece under my wetsuit. I'm experimenting with making a neck warmer made from a cut piece of thigh from and old wetsuit. It hasn't gotten cold enough here to try it yet.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRY IT! Neck gaitors are a fantastic accessory to anything from a shorty to a 6mm dry suit. Most of the warmth of a neoprene hood without the bulk, commitment, balance and hearing impairment, shades and/or helmet interference, cost, etc. Cut it long to begin with so it covers the suit neck well, and it will cut the flush by 90%. And let it come up to your ears aggressively, so it stays there and covers your carotid arteries well. I'm gettin' warm and cozy just thinking about it.

The weather doesn't need to be cold. My neck gaitor allows me to wear less neoprene than I'd otherwise need, yet remain safe and comfortable. I can dress for the midday sun early in the morning, add the gaitor for dawn patrol, remove just the gaitor as the day warms up, then put the gaitor back on at dusk. Otherwise I'd be changing suits all the danged day.

My bare hands will tolerate about 50 sunny degrees air temp (colder in bursts such as brief snow squalls) and 46 degrees water temp. Hot water, windmilling my arms, warming up once after a quick initiation session ... none of those legendary cures do squat for my hands. I just give up and quit below those temps ... whatever it takes to avoid the most intense pain I've ever experienced: thawing/warming hands. Cold feet merely get numb, but cold (actually, warming) hands go off the pain scale for me.

I've never found a solution. If you find one not involving gloves, please let us know.

"Wimpy"? I call it "smart". Even besides the pain, dysfunctional hands are dangerous out there.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Promotion (and maybe others) make a hooded vest that slips over your wetsuit. 1.5mm I think. It eliminates water down the neck and keeps the upper body and head warm. I find it really helps. As for hands/ feet, frequent trips to shore to dunk in hot water works better for me than thick boots/ gloves.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That reminds me of another thing I love about a simple neck gaitor: no restriction of head turning. I cut the hood off my hooded vest for that reason, as my head is whipping R and L all day long and what begins as a little restriction feels like this after a while:
justall

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK ... After seing U- bird's pictures, I put 'windusrfing while it is snowing' on my windsurfing bucket list.

I have been in the market for a hood, just for those colder days, so will pick one of those up after I try a gaiter. I've also been eying a neoprene cap, for fall days. Some seem to have a tether to your suit, in case a fall rips it off.

Iso's image of a ws'er wearing a neck brace causes a chuckle.
josegriffith600

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: 45 degrees + 31 degrees = I'm out. Reply with quote

justall wrote:
How many of you all keep going out below the 100 degree water + air temperature threshold? I was pleasantly surprised to have several solid October and November sessions this year in the DC area with only a 4/3 full and booties. A nice year, all things considered.

But, with the water now dipping into the low 40s and the
peimar solar falling into the 20/30s, I'm out. On the bright side ... PA ski slopes have started up their snow machines
!

It is nice year indeed.. I have been solar technology for water heating and I am glad to have nice sunshine this year:)

Last edited by josegriffith600 on Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: