myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Struck down in my prime
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: Struck down in my prime Reply with quote

Got the results of Tuesday's MRI today, partial tear superior and anterior hip labrum, subchondrial cyst, bone spurring, cartilage thinning, modest arthritic changes, swelling along areas, mild trochanter bursitis, looks like surgery.
I'm only 50 years old, can't believe this is happening.
I suppose 30 years of plumbing and construction did me in Sad
Anyone else been thru this?
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That, no ... but I do have buds who do serious WSing on two artificial hips. It's just a big bump in the road.

Mike \m/
flaherty

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a second opinion, before any serious surgery.Ask the doctor alot of questions, how many times has he done this type of surgery? ect.
Do alot of reasearch, find the best doctor ,hospital that does this surgery.
Travel, to get this done, spend money ,if you have to, will be well worth it,in the end. Trust your gut, don't believe everything the doctors say. I personally do not have any medical issues, but a family member , who is now deceased, was led down the garden path, by the medical community.
spennie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for Flaherty.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: injury Reply with quote

C-3 spinal cord injury. Paralyzed from the neck down. Touch and go the first few nights after the crash. A very long story but for some reason I was spared. I was not suppose ever get out of bed again. Flash forward.
I'm 63 years old and a retired firefighter. I have a metal plate and a bone fusion in my neck. I windsurf every chance I get. In the summer its almost every day. No I'm no longer at the gorge working on forward loops. Down the line wave sailing is mostly out. MOSTLY. I find I get great joy at my local lake on my 5.5 and 115 board. (lake Lopez) We go to SPI every year for the month of April. Some might say flat and boring. I say its a gift. My point is, You have a set back. We all get them as we get older. Do what you need to do to make it work. Find joy in the things you can do. Don't dwell on the things you use to do. Work had to recover. Windsurfing can still a gift for you....
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ps to my last: The last time I sailed at Lopez. I got passed by Walt. It was his 84 birthday. Double knee replacements. I'm just sayin......
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

100% certain that I felt the same with bad news.

Do your homework, like never before to gain as much information to make decisions.

Tiny steps are always the route to recovery.

Realize that you may need to moderate activities

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
ronm41

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife has a similar condition but looks like a different cause. Yours seems like a over use injury hers was the result of a sports accident. She did hers about 8 years ago kiteboarding where she did a jump and crashed hard with one foot in and one foot out of the board. Tore the Labrum similar to yours and developed a cyst as well. At the time of her contrast MRI the doc said her hip joint looked to be in good shape. So, the bad news was that the doc said she needed surgery and the odds of full recovery was around 75% because of the cyst. The bad news was that crutches for 6 wks and restricted activity for 9 mos. So similar or a little worse that let say a fully blow ACL. Anyway, to make a long story short, she decided against the surgery and got on a structured hip and leg routine and really work on hip flexion and overall leg strength. Lots of Mt. biking too. today, she is functioning pretty well. Bike riding, no pain, skiing no pain, windsurfing and kiting when it is choppy, it can stiff and sore afterwards. Sitting for a long time riding in car, can be painful. She is dealing with it sometimes taking advil and ice. At times thinking maybe the drama of surgery and pain afterwards and the 9 mo rehab if the results were no pain and functioning.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had zero doubts about my choice for surgery on my knee. It didn't hurt (that's what drugs are for), and the drama of needing a LOT of help lasted < two weeks. (I don't know how hip reconstruction compares to knee reconstruction, but the guys I know with new hips are ecstatic about them.) I want to know I did all I could if that knee explodes again. The only concession I plan to make is to bail if I ever get that much altitude again.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first the only symptom was I couldn't sleep on it so we thought it was hip bursitis caused by a tight IT band so PT, icing etc... and no change. Several shots in the hip did nothing and the last one actually made it worse and crippled me causing me to walk with a limp.
The old MRI machine here on Kauai showed nothing so I went to Honolulu and had a contrast MRI done at a special clinic then all this stuff became apparent. I haven't talked to the Dr. yet but the PT says he has seen this done minimally with the scope and the recovery a month or so, we will see what the Dr. says.
Right now I can ride a bike no problem, been doing that every day, but walking is limited to about 1/4 mile. Sitting especially riding in the car is a problem. I have to sleep on an ice pack Rolling Eyes get up in the middle of the night and change ice packs. Still working however, not really an option.
I have to think I'm heading for surgery because I can't imagine going thru the rest of my life like this. PT has done nothing for me thus far
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: