myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Any reviews of NS power xt extension (ratchet)?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
willysp

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Any reviews of NS power xt extension (ratchet)? Reply with quote

Hi all,
I was wondering if somebody is using the North Sails power xt extension, the one with the ratchet system. I am not looking into buy one but I wonder if it's good or not. Sometimes I wish I had one so I could change the downhaul with ease... (dunno if there is another option)
Thanks,
Willy
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no experience with this, from when it came out I felt it leans too much complication to a relativity simple process, down haul.

I am fairly certain that Norths mast base PIN is not compatible with Euro pins.

http://forums.boards.mpora.com/showthread.php/71155-New-North-Power-XT-2-0-extensions-half-price-!

search this forum for more. Among tha bickering there is some info above

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
capetonian

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using the North Sails Power XT for about 5 years and I think they are great. I've never had any issues with mine. I downhaul by hand until there is tension in the line and then downhaul/tune the last 10 cm with the ratchet. I use them on race sails so the downhaul tension is relatively high. I use mine with a Chinook euro pin base, they are 100% compatible. I recently bought their new Shox extension, which is not compatible with Chinook bases, but the Shox definitely smooths out the chop.
willysp

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that extension could be really good for someone like me that is learning how to tune sails and sail on locations where the wind changes every 5 minutes. That would allow to change the downhaul on the go and it would be easier to to tell the difference in the tunning, I guess.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

willysp wrote:
I think that extension could be really good for someone like me that is learning how to tune sails and sail on locations where the wind changes every 5 minutes. That would allow to change the downhaul on the go and it would be easier to to tell the difference in the tuning, I guess.

Some thoughts for you:

1. Without a doubt the easier it is to downhaul a sail, the easier it is to tune the downhaul precisely. Two things you can do with any extension are to use the optimum threading pattern (which sounds a little weird the first time it's described...but the first time you use it you'll be surprised at the results!) and to use Spectra downhaul lines. The threading pattern costs you nothing. The Spectra downhaul line usually costs $10 (as opposed to $3 for Marlow line.) See my blog post here for more:
http://www.peconicpuffin.com/the_peconic_puffin/2007/03/easier_downhaul.html

2. Don't be changing your tuning every five minutes...you will miss out on a lot of sailing. The usual advice for a well rigged sail is to rig for the lulls and rip in the gusts (your proper downhaul setting should allow you to spill enough wind to hang on!)

3. I have always been concerned with downhaul line wear inside the ratchet base, fearing that I wouldn't see a line when it's worn past the point I should replace it. Note that I've never owned one, and have no experience to back this up.

4. Even if you get the ratchet base, learn the downhaul threading pattern, and use Spectra. Lasts longer, requires less strength regardless. Spectra isn't more slippery...it just works like it is because it deforms less under tension, so there is less friction.

Have fun (and remember to adjust your outhaul every time you tweak the downhaul. BTW many of us only adjust our outhaul. I myself have two downhaul settings for each sail: powered and overpowered. Then I fine tune with the outhaul. If I'm underpowered I'll bag the sail out a bit, but I still want enough downhaul so the sail can spill wind in the gusts.)

http://www.peconicpuffin.com/the_peconic_puffin/2007/03/easier_downhaul.html

willysp

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the advice. I bought spectra lines this past summer and I also learned how to thread the DH properly (I never paid attention to it because I thought it didn't really matter. How wrong I was!!). I should spend more time playing with the sail tuning and save the money of an expensive extension to replace my old 430 mast Smile
Willy
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get it with that shox thing which seems really cool and works really well by all accounts but it doesn't seem to be available in the US.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: