myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Maui Wind
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gerritt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
nw30 wrote:
The boards back then had less tail flotation, and were narrower, which also made them less rangey. All that together made for getting overpowered quite a bit easier.

I find just the opposite in B&J sailing on rough water. Fatter tails get bouncy quicker, limiting their suitability when the wind and terrain get wild. IMO and that of many articles and people in this forum, what they give up on the low end, relatively thin and narrow tails more than make up at the upper wind and terrain ranges. It's a tradeoff I love -- as shown by my fleet of older, narrower, skinnier boards -- until the wind dies.

NW30's comments are accurate and factored in the old sails and old boards. Not just the boards. IMHO, you should update your outlook and try a properly shaped modern board and combine it with a modern rig. Then, you won't have to worry so much about the starboard vs. port right of way you seem so fond of forcing for fear of coming off a plane. Why risk life and limb to stay on a plane when the newer shapes indeed plane off sooner, plane at slower speeds, don't fall off a plane as quickly, and stay planted when conditions get wild.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl wrote:
coachg wrote:
stevenbard wrote:
I used to regularly use my 3.5 in the early 90's. I haven't been on anything smaller than a 5.0 for 5 years. Change is inevitable.

Most people get bigger as they age Embarassed

Just sayin'

Coachg

Also modern sails are designed different and are able to handle higher winds because the top of the sail twists-off in a gust.
The early 1990s more-trianglular shaped sail, didn't twist much. They were powerful, but didn't handle the gusts well.

Damn, I resemble that remark. You guys are right on both counts. I'm bigger and I used to have 5 sails in my quiver. Today I have 4 sails and only use 3!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: