myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Which type of sail?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rangerider

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any RDM masts so I would be purchasing a matching mast for whatever sail. Based on the above windsurf UK article I would add the Severne Gator to the list - previously suggested. I am definitely partial to the Ezzy brand, that being said, if they don't have the right sail for my needs I should look elsewhere. Sounds like there isn't really strong opinion - lots of good options.
rlemmens

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
rlemmens wrote:
What wind are you looking to get planing in?

That's more critical than the brand or style of sail. Riemmens is nearly twice as efficient as I, Rangerider; where do you fit on that scale?

Mike \m/

Sorry I can only comment on gear I've actually used I'm not trying to be partial to any company that's just what I've used. I'm sure a lot of 4-batten freestyle sails will work I just haven't tried a lot of them. Like I said, I'm using only ezzy now, and I think they're great, just maybe not as great in these specific conditions. But that's just my opinion.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My comment refers to your superior efficiency, not to sail brands or types. That level of efficiency is probably something a less accomplished sailor can only dream of, and may be impractical on Rangerider's small and gusty lake, which presents frequent turns and many wind holes. At 17 kts, even in big waters, I'd need at least a 7.0 at his weight, and would still be cursing the 14 kt slogs.

Mike \m/
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the newer size sails in 5.7--6.2 should rig on a 430cm mast, least wise the ones I would consider for this.

My background on freestyle equipment consists of 2 dedicated boards, and 2 dedicated sails, without writing a War & Peace chapter, 1 of each worked to a exception level, which in my case was a crossover to freeriding, bump & jump, some fun, but not freestyle IMO.

I don't recommend a freestyle sail.

doing a think on those I have or would have these come to mind. reflect that not all sails come in that 6.0 size , most smaller

Ezzy have 2 that are serious contenders, have both.
Elite largest size 5.7 Tiger 6.0 or 5.8. 2012 Panther Limited in 6.0, but doubt you could find one new . both Tiger & the 4 batten Elite are the cutting edge. Ezzy RDM, be a no brainer

Neil Pryde.. Fusion 6.1, not sailed this. I HAVE the Combat & Atlas but too small or too powerful. Mast needs are a softer top, a little niche oriented on the mast IMO

NorthWave Featherlite 6.2//5.7 NoLimitz mast ideal(i use a Ezzy) which would be compatible with many other sails in the future.

Naish Boxer 5.8//6.2 more wave oriented than most, good freestyle, short mast on 4 battens.

Sailworks the Revolution 5.8//6.2

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Arrgh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rangerider wrote:
I don't have any RDM masts so I would be purchasing a matching mast for whatever sail. Based on the above windsurf UK article I would add the Severne Gator to the list - previously suggested. I am definitely partial to the Ezzy brand, that being said, if they don't have the right sail for my needs I should look elsewhere. Sounds like there isn't really strong opinion - lots of good options.

Another test that might interest you: http://www.windsport.com/tests
rangerider

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, tempted by the 2014 Elite 6.1 but not sure if that is a bad idea as it is a 4 batten design.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rangerider wrote:
Yes, tempted by the 2014 Elite 6.1 but not sure if that is a bad idea as it is a 4 batten design.

my Elite is a 4.0, its brilliant. The 2013 went only to 5.7m. FWIW I don't think they would release a 6.1 now in 2014 because they could, I would say it works swell.

david@ezzy.com

write him

HotSails have a 3batten now , only a 5.2m

capetonian

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:

HotSails have a 3batten now , only a 5.2m

I've heard glowing reports about it but I haven't sailed it so I could be completely wrong when I say I don't think that is what rangerider is looking for.
rlemmens

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
My comment refers to your superior efficiency, not to sail brands or types. That level of efficiency is probably something a less accomplished sailor can only dream of, and may be impractical on Rangerider's small and gusty lake, which presents frequent turns and many wind holes. At 17 kts, even in big waters, I'd need at least a 7.0 at his weight, and would still be cursing the 14 kt slogs.

Mike \m/

Thanks Mike, I don't know if my efficiency is superior to anyone else's I just know when that's what the sensor reads, that's what works for me. My theory is the 4-batten freestyle sails, especially in the larger sizes, are focused on low-end power to get onto a plane and accelerate quickly. I think that's the entire idea behind their design. Obviously there's a loss in stability when the wind picks up but there seems to be give and take for every type of sail. Part of the problem with the super light freestyle sails is that they're less durable. But I don't know the conditions he's in. I also don't know how the sail would work with a free-ride board since they tend to be a bit longer and less thick than a freestyle board where 110 ltrs are spread over 228 cm of length mostly under your feet. I guess it's just preference and what you're trying to do.
The elite is an excellent sail, but I'm not sure it'll get you planing as early as the 5.7 pure. For freestyle, the elite can also be slightly more difficult to maneuver because of its super stable nature and fuller pocket.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't recommend a freestyle sail, 4 batten or not.

I sense/gather you have not sailed an Elite. There is NO loss of stability in either the Elite or Hot Sails QU4d, from 5.6 to 4.0 in my experienceboth state of the art new sails, maybe not the new sail for you

In some respect you do need to match the board with the sail.

you cant compare apples to oranges, if its freestyle you want then easy peasy, if its a crossover/freestyle to freeride , like you said you desire , its a different book, sail and then board as well

once you move from one or another or more disciplines then things become gray in a hurry, and be prepared to make compromises

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: