myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Mid-west is still windsurfing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rigitrite

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Mid-west is still windsurfing Reply with quote

Yes, it's true: there are still people windsurfing in the mid-west. There are not very many of us, but yet, we still exist. In fact, we've had an astonishing November so far. I can't remember the last time I sailed my 4.2 three times in one week, not to mention south wind one day and north wind the next, both just crankin'! Saturday (11/16) had gusts to 43 mph and today had gusts to 47 mph. Good lake sailin' to be sure!
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

being on the far side of 30yo

I stop (cant find a drysuit inviting) around November time, here in Colorado
some of my hardy mates continue, thinking they have no vital organs that would suffer any irreparable damage from the cold.

the winds here have been good as well, nice to read your report from Mid America, where do you sail ?

BTW not a Bronco fan, Chiefs victory would have been sweet !

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
rigitrite

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mostly sail at Clinton lake near Lawrence, KS since we get south wind 95% of the time, even in winter. When it's west or NW, I sail Hillsdale lake which is about 30 miles south of KC. This was a great weekend for windsurfing!

Not a fan of NFL: in our house, football is played with a round ball that's black and white. I am a HUGE fan of Sporting KC (our MSL team), who will play the Houston Dynamos on Saturday for a shot at the championships. We have tickets for the game, and I BELIEVE!!!!!

DanWeiss

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To those in Kansas, you might define the Mid-West differently than others living on the East Coast. There are many windsurfers in Nebraska, Colorado, Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana! I agree that many could be surprised by the enthusiasm and willingness to travel for good wind and water.

Keep it up!

amarie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that this is surprising, but we are still windsurfing in South Texas too, so just a shout out from here since we are grouped into "Central" as well. We've had a series of 7 cold fronts so far this fall, and all have been sailable. The warmest ones in Sept were bathing suit weather. The latest one was 46 degrees (a little abnormally cold for early Nov), but the water is still 70, so we can't complain. Looking forward to hopefully some more good wave sailing tomorrow morning in front #8. We've been starting to get northern visitors already.

Thanks for the report! Stay warm.
whitevan01

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amarie,
how is Texas for windsurfing last week of December?

thanks.
geohaye

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Global.iWindsurf.com has a boatload of helpful wind statistics for Texas. (Along with full forecasts, live windspeeds, etc.)

Look at the stats -- December is king at awesome Bird Island, near Corpus:
http://global.iwindsurf.com/spot/1409

Click any station to get the full details. Here's a bellweather station for Galveston, out on the jetty:
http://global.iwindsurf.com/spot/4781

And for South Padre the Coast Guard has a good station:
http://global.iwindsurf.com/spot/100765

For a wind map of TX, you can bookmark the map page zoomed in however you like, but here's a good place to start:
http://global.iwindsurf.com/en-us/Search/ViewResults.aspx#27.558,-95.667,8,obs

tx.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  847.01 KB
 Viewed:  13157 Time(s)

tx.png

amarie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whitevan01 wrote:
amarie,
how is Texas for windsurfing last week of December?

thanks.

December and January are actually our two windiest months, according to wind data. If you scroll down far enough at this link you can see. http://www.windalert.com/en-us/Search/SpotInfo.aspx?spotid=1409&activity=Windsurf&units_wind=mph&name=See

Of course, like anywhere, if you have just one inflexible week you could get skunked. But in the winter there is the possibility of either cold fronts (1-2 days of northerly wind) or southerly wind. Within the same week you can get lucky and get both of these. Often a strong south wind precedes a cold front.

N & NE wind (most cold fronts) are good for our wave and flat water launches. Winter southerly wind is great for flat water. The wave and chop locations mostly shut off in south once the water gets cold. Southerly wave sailing picks up again once the water warms up, later spring and all summer.

The water around that time is probably mid to low 60s. Air anywhere from high 30s to high 70s depending on frontal situation. Full suit is best.
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My most recent on-water session in NE Iowa was 11-17-13, planing with a 5.4 on an old F2 Comet in mid 40s F with 16-20 winds.

I expect another on-water session 11-19-13 when the temp should get back up to 50 F with 15+ mph winds.

With much colder weather coming my plan is to switch to sailing parking lots on a mountain board until we get sailable ice or snow useable with my modified toboggans.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: