myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Winds in LA - need information
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Diman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Winds in LA - need information Reply with quote

Hi! I would appreciate if anybody could tell a bit about windsurfing in Los Angeles. How often and when exactly it's better? What kind of rig locals usualy use... (I prefer not to use any bigger equipment than 100l and 5.4) I've heard about Cabrillo beach but videos found on the Internet are not impressive...( I also know that winds are better closer to SF, but still, what's the situation in LA? Would be grateful for any information. Thnx!
coachg

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How big are you? LA gets its days, but for a 170 sailor with nothing larger than a 5.4/100 liter you will be sitting on the beach a lot during the summer trade wind season.

Coachg
Diman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
How big are you? LA gets its days, but for a 170 sailor with nothing larger than a 5.4/100 liter you will be sitting on the beach a lot during the summer trade wind season.

Coachg

Thanks for reply! Actualy I'm around 190lbs. And of course I'm not expecting to windsurf every day in LA (unless I use bigger sails), but I wonder what's the probability...)) I mean, could it be like 2 times per week or rather 2 times per month. And is there any chance at all for a wind around 20 knots in winter?)
cptn_picard

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearing winds can go 20+ knots. Careful of what comes down the LA river. Any significant rain = dodgey water quality.
capetonian

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you already in LA, or thinking about moving to LA?

I'm also 190 lb, and since I changed my attitude about small sails and small boards I've doubled my sailable days in LA. My personal observation of conditions is:

Summer - thermals at Cabrillo - slalom sailors seem to use average sizes around 7.6. For freestylers, average size seems to be around 5.8, maybe 5.3 for the 140 lb guys. B&J guys are mostly on 6.0 to 7.0.

Leo Carillo can blow stronger than Cabrillo but not as consistently as Cabrillo.

Winter - occasionally weak thermals (8.8 slalom sail and 130 L slalom board for me), but usually just clearing west winds after rains (anything from 4.2 to 6.0 for me), and sometimes strong pre-frontal south winds in San Diego (LA doesn't get the southerly winds so I've never sailed a southerly). Santa Ana winds at Port Hueneme can be 4.0 conditions. C-Street often gets sailable SW winds immediately after the Santa Ana winds die. The sensor at C-Street is virtually worthless, use the Ventura Point surf cam to look for whitecaps.

If you want strong wind, drive. Lake Isabella, Jalama, Lake Lopez and Arroyo Laguna will all give you your high wind fix.
jp5

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 125L board with a 6.5 sail will greatly increase the number of sailable days per year for you at either Cabrillo or Leo Carrillo. One thing to point out about Leo Carrillo is there are waves there if you don't mind some company.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not all shot in the LA area, but there are many pictures of Cabrillo here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/frenchyphoto/sets/72157622171831847/

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
allen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How often and when was the question?

Season starts at best in mid March. In March and April the most you can get is 2-3 days week. May and June, depending on the gloom is about the same then it ramps up to 3-4 days a week in July through mid September. October is hit and miss unless it is very warm; then you can hit it about 1-2 times/week. By Halloween the season is over (no inland heat to drive the wind) until mid-March. In the winter the most you can usually get is once a month (Nov-Feb), usually in storm clearing winds.

At your weight, you'll be on 6.0-7.5 at Cabrillo and 5.8 on some of the better days at Leo.

There are lots of days of light, planeable wind in LA (6.0-7.5); there are almost no 4.5-5.4 days for someone of your weight.
Diman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the feedback! It's very helpful. Photos are promising as well..)) I'm not yet in LA that's why I'm asking, just investigating..) Any way even if the wind is not there, with the waves like in LA one never feels bored I suppose...? Btw what kind of wetsuit I'll need there? 5mm or 3mm, or both?
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 4/3 wetsuit is fine south of Santa Barbara. I'm thinking about a thicker one this year for Jalama.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: