myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing Access at Kanaha Maui in Danger
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windoggi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:

BTW, I didn't notice the "Kite Load" logo at first. Nice touch.

wow. That's revealing.

isobars

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, DaKine was, in ALL likelihood, joking. What he revealed was a sense of humor, well executed.

Sheesh!
windoggi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
a sense of humor, well executed.

thats revealing too.

By the way, how did you see my post? I thought I was killfilled

daKine

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just startin' to think this out you know.
What would the Duck Dynasty guys do?
I'm thinking a 10 gauge turkey gun would not be ethical hunting.
So a standard 12 gauge with a 30 inch trap barrel would do nicely.
Now, the dog would be a problem.
It's not enough to down them you have to bag them and that's where the dog comes in.
A lab could probably be kite trained but those Water Dogs like Obama has should be good in waves.
....................................... Cool
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lab? How about a 'gator! It's not like we plan to eat the carcass, after all.

Oops ... um Very Happy
wmike

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on Guys, Lets get back on topic. You are not here so leave us alone. And some of you have not been here for many years.

Thanks,

Will post when the markers are installed. Said to be installed soon. Should be interesting to see exactly where they are placed.

Last edited by wmike on Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheItalianJobber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madmax7 wrote:
[...]
Understand this, kiting is a new sport, and extreme, and unfortunately open to all egos. BUT remember there was a time when Wsurfers egos were out of control, I can share stories of Asshole windsurfers, of course today as we ve aged we have learned and teach young Wsurfers (if there are any ) how to behave! [...]
BUT for now, please let's unite and deal with this issue together and get all your friends to sign petition!
[...]
Don't know guys agenda, but please let's work together and keep Maui open for everyone to enjoy!

loosescrew wrote:

This is serious and should be of concern to any waterperson who has or wants to visit Maui at sometime in the future. Use zones can be created and enforced, there is no need for a blanket prohibition. First you need to get government's attention to take things to the point of starting negotiations hence this petition.

For now there is a petition campaign to be submitted to the Hawaiian State DIVISION OF BOATING AND OCEAN RECREATION (DOBOR) organized by Ocean Safety Alliance, https://www.facebook.com/oceansafetyalliance

Titled: "State DOBOR Hawaii: Please protect ocean access at Kanaha Beach. Change the outdated rules to reflect the current use."

It takes very little time to sign the petition, please help to keep this unique spot open to all these water interests now and into the future.
Thank you!

We are still at 3,780 signatures on the petition.
For the world's board-sailing/kiting "Mecca" (substitute with "Holy City", "Vatican", "Holy Grail" of choice) this is RIDICULOUS!

Please have everybody and their Mom sign this thing (PETITION HERE: https://www.change.org/petitions/state-dobor-hawaii-please-protect-ocean-access-at-kanaha-beach-change-the-outdated-rules-to-reflect-the-current-use)...
Seriously: 150 signature/day for a meaningful world protest is pathetic. Let's use this as an opportunity to show that this sport (WS) in not dying out.
Reach out to any foreign sailor you've met throughout the years, contact your favorite board/sail Co. or competitive sailor, put a banner on your Facebook page, talk and email your gym buddies, do something (!).
I'm an admin for a hikers meetup group, and I just send this to our 1,900+ members hoping they may be sympathetic: why should I hope they would care, if we don't?
sailnbike

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd think that some of the local shops, sail makers, and board shapers might get involved rallying support but I haven't seen it yet.
daKine

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been reading the master plan for Kanaha development which was developed about 10 years ago.
http://www.co.maui.hi.us/documents/15/63/Kanaha%20Bch%20Pk%20DRAFT%20-%20MASTER%20PLAN%20Mar%202004_201307031326091748.pdf
Interestingly, there is no mention of windsurfing, kitesurfing or other such offshore activities and it appears that no watersports industry people made any attempt to legitimize our sports in the master plan.

I know several Maui County Council members including many members of the Recreation Committee and I cannot ever recall hearing them mention that watersports activities are an important part of the Maui economy.
The entire watersports industry has about as much economic impact on Maui as one South shore hotel.
Now, maybe there is some back channel stuff going on to try to change the ban but I suspect this is part of a long term effort to follow a master plan that doesn't include watersports.
It appears to me that the watersports industry does not have a functional lobbying organization on Maui.
I sure hope I'm wrong about this but the Maui watersports shops aren't even returning phone calls and don't have any kind of organized communication effort for their global customers.
All this at the same time that many are planning their next Maui trip and need info.
I'm really looking forward to bipbip's report on where exactly the bouys are set...there is no point in getting too worked up until this detail is known.
So, sign the petition and hope.
But, I'm realistic, without a strong industry lobbying effort, the thousands of Maui voters that use Kanaha and don't like aggressive watersports enthusiasts are likely to carry the day.
TheItalianJobber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daKine wrote:
I'm really looking forward to bipbip's report on where exactly the bouys are set...there is no point in getting too worked up until this detail is known.

Sorry man, I know what everybody knows, and has been said on this thread (for buoys, page #6 and #7), or around the internet.
Also I live in SF not Maui (and haven't been more than maybe 10 times in 25 years, even if also for months at a time), but I do care: for me, my offspring, the WS community, and the vibe of the island.
And just plain as a matter of principal.
Even if I realize it's a "Fragile Paradise" (http://www.amazon.com/dp/0700610863/ref=rdr_ext_tmb)

Yeah, we cannot compare with other sports that provide and receive much more, as (i.e.) College Basketball (See: http://mauiinvitational.com/sports/2013/6/13/FAQs%20.aspx? "Over the years,the County of Maui has invested more than $1 million in the Lahaina Civic Center to create a quality host venue for the Mecca of college basketball including, among many things, a new playing floor, updated rollaway bleachers, new scoreboards, enhanced arena lighting as well as the addition of permanent air conditioning back in 2003). As we know THAT'S big business.
Nevertheless, if you are a small business owner, a landlord, a renter or an instructor working the beach this should drive you berserk.
They should be the ones lobbying, and they would get our support (I imagine...).

Instead you and sailnbike are right: shops and brands are sleeping over this!
If you google for Kanaha in the news, the only non-shark related news is this: http://www.surfertoday.com/kiteboarding/9515-no-surf-zone-to-be-declared-at-kanaha-beach-park
Business interests need to make a stand and drive the attention of the global user community to this issue.
What can we suggest? Emailing shop owners, so they get on it with the reps, and they do the same with the manufacturers?

Btw, none of these issues is new:
http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14125
http://www.windsmart.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=72629
Apparently those issues went at east partially away, but this one doesn't seem that it will simply by waiting...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 9 of 14

Jump to: