myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing Access at Kanaha Maui in Danger
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rich1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the conclusion I came to as well. Swim Zone B. It doesn't mean we won't be able to access the break, we just have a smaller launch. It really doesn't look all that bad. FWIW I found the original document, it took a lot of digging.

http://www.state.hi.us/dlnr/dbor/rules/compiled/HAR256-Compiled.pdf

Scroll down to page 179 for the description and 185 for the map.

I'm heading there in Feb, and I guess I'll see for myself, but I think we're freaking out over something that just isn't all that bad.

I think from what I've read, what they really want to police is zone C, but they'd have to re write the HAR section so they're just going with policing it all.
fxop

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, rich1, it seems pretty bad to me to lose the main launch, the ability to land anywhere within a quarter of a mile downwind from the remaining eastern launch, and the teaching/beginner area. You really have to work to protect the access you have. Definitely worth a freakout.
cbknap

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes I'm also a bit fuzzy on this as the map overview is not detailed enough but it looks as if the eastern-most swim zone would make it impossible to continue running the Maui Race Series, which will be in its 30th year next year.

If so this is a huge headache, if not a complete disaster.

In contrast the kiters would appear to be most completely unaffected.

--chris

PS: If I don't have this quite right please, Jeff Bennett or other Maui denizen, please chime in.
rigatoni

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My take on this as well is that the kiting access is mostly unaffected and the lower windsurfing area gets severely compromised.

I don't want to inflame any kiting-windsurfing tension but seriously WTF?

I wasn't there but reading the thread and watching similar BS go down at Crissy; I think it is time for the windsurfing community to be more proactive and vocal in addressing unacceptable kiting behavior at our launches. Perhaps this is a wake up call?
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rigatoni wrote:
it is time for the windsurfing community to be more proactive and vocal in addressing unacceptable kiting behavior at our launches.

Judging by the reactions in these forums to discussions of deliberate, high-speed, life-threatening assaults by Gorge kiters, most people no longer hold even outright criminals responsible for their actions. With that attitude, "unacceptable" behavior is now acceptable and anyone who thinks otherwise is the REAL problem.
sl55

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we can throw in an argument, that in view of the increasing number of shark attacks, windsurfers and kiters can spot them sooner, and that they in fact create "a buffer zone" that protects swimmers from sharks ?
TheItalianJobber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fxop wrote:
it seems pretty bad to me to lose the main launch, the ability to land anywhere within a quarter of a mile downwind from the remaining eastern launch, and the teaching/beginner area. You really have to work to protect the access you have.

I second that word-by-word...

Re-posting again the petition link for people rushing through the thread: https://www.change.org/petitions/state-dobor-hawaii-please-protect-ocean-access-at-kanaha-beach-change-the-outdated-rules-to-reflect-the-current-use

Here below the image at page 185 rich1 was talking about, and the letter of the old ruling:

map.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  56.65 KB
 Viewed:  11803 Time(s)

map.png

dlnr-rules-kanaha-hookipa-fly-point-beaches-ordinances.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  208.67 KB
 Viewed:  11803 Time(s)

dlnr-rules-kanaha-hookipa-fly-point-beaches-ordinances.png

wmike

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="cbknap"]yes I'm also a bit fuzzy on this as the map overview is not detailed enough but it looks as if the eastern-most swim zone would make it impossible to continue running the Maui Race Series, which will be in its 30th year next year.

--chris

It will not effect the Maui Race Series. It will effect the current launch site for lowers. One would have to walk the gear down towards the new lifeguard station about 100 yards or walk your gear up wind 100 yards to the uppers launch area
madmax7

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting bipbip

Can someone give me a general idea of how much zone A encumbers the launch area?

I park at the most east parking in Kanaha and launch just W of the designated " windsurf beginner / teaching area"

Is this gonna be shut down by the "A swim area" ?

Thanks for info

Max
wmike

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not think swim zone A will affect us launching at uppers. I launch at uppers and quite often walk up about 100 yards and that should be outside A.

Swim zone B includes the existing swim area and extends about 100 yards further down towards the new lifeguard station.

There has been a sign with the new swim area at lowers for a few weeks. Rumor is that the anchors, lines and buoys are made and will be installed soon.

Kanaha swim zone.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  104.06 KB
 Viewed:  11748 Time(s)

Kanaha swim zone.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 7 of 14

Jump to: