myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing Access at Kanaha Maui in Danger
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chophop

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with all that you have said. However, I should add that the videos show kiters launching from a protected area that is for young kids and swimming, not kiting or windsurfing.
If he was agro about kiters coming close to his kids there then I can understand his complaint. Seems like there are lots of other places to launch from.

All that said, I think that we should work together with kiters to save everyone's access. I really don't understand the bad blood between windsurfers and kiters generally. Cool
capetonian

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madmax7 wrote:
The person that is trying to shut us down is totally unreasonable! Last time I was in Maui Wsurfing w Gfriend (yes I still occasionally do it) he and his family were over in WSurf pool area, upwind of it pushing his kids and putting in the way of Wsurfers coming in!

I watched him put his kid in the Way of my GF coming in while he stood on shore w a stick. And he started walking toward her to have a word about her coming close to his kid! I ran down the beach and when he noticed he backed up away from her and back towards dry shore!

Don't know guys agenda, but please let's work together and keep Maui open for everyone to enjoy!

As a parent of two young I can totally understand someone getting protective of their children. However after wading through some of the kiting threads this guy sounds like he has lost his grip on reality. Unfortunately his main antagonist has done his best to goad him on, so the two of them both come off looking like people I hope never to meet.

Best for the rest of us to to sign the petition and try not to antagonize anyone until the law is settled (wish I could say not antagonize anyone ever but that is probably as realistic as praying for world peace).
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still praying for peace Capetonian! One of my best friends is a kiter, so I hold no grudge. We need them for political purposes, and should do our best to work as teammates not adversaries.

I signed the petition. We all should.
madmax7

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capetonian

Point of Clarification. This guy had his kids NOT in pool area BUT purposely put them in Wsurf area. In harms way, to harrass Wsurfers!

So perhaps u misunderstood, not sure impo but don't want mislead. I am also a parent and would support a parent safeguarding his kids. This guy was opposite!

Max

Ps lets just get along as wind water enthus
capetonian

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Max, why do you think I said he has lost his grip on reality?
madmax7

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

K, capetonian, no prob!

Cheers, Max

At chophop,

From wind conditions, most kiters ( locals or experienced), cause wind was crap, thus nobody was there to tell this guy that his actions were foolish!

Most of Wsurf or Kiteboarders have shown up in Maui, so desperate to go in water that we go in in crap wind! Now kite community (read kiteforum when u get a chance), is struggling on how to deal with kiters that are putting themselves and others in dangerous situations!

So what I'm saying is you are right, this kiter should not have done that! And yes if a lot of regulars would have been there, someone would have stepped up and told him (educated) on what he was doing wrong!

The reaction by kite community (some of it not justified at all) is because this incident was used by this individual to make it a "life Mission" to ban kiters there, the thread on ikite documents this (even he got involved in posting) to the point that it blew up and ikite banned him and a few others from posting again!

Anyways, I'm just trying to spread the love, and wish some Wsurf people (ie. Spennie, someone I know personally) would quit spewing venum publicly towards Kiteboarders.

In the words of infamy : Can't we all just get along?
dabull1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I've been lucky at Kanaha with kiters. The only contacts I've had with them have been relatively positive. When I when broke down once out in the "" blue water"" way outside, several kiters would come by and check on me as I swam/body-dragged in. Even got to take the walk of shame a couple of times after the wind crapped out without any nastiness. As at Leo, it just takes one jerk to piss in everyone's Cheerios. Kiters have to deal with their own or else everyone loses a beach... can you say Seal? Unfortunately, all someone has to do is find a few ancient bones or artifacts and suddenly there's a historic holy site named Lowers or Kooks... a major hotel in Kona was torn down because of such a scenario. This is bad kids and if we don't all get together we'll be screwed together by authority of law. Live Aloha, Bull
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest we take up a collection for Dabull to travel back to Maui and patrol the beach at Kanaha.
victor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is this really an issue?

from what i gather the incidents happened in april. i was there in may and again in august for two weeks each time and di not hear a peep about it.

it all sounds like what happens at every launch, a self appointed beach master saying 'they'll shut this place down............"
dabull1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
I suggest we take up a collection for Dabull to travel back to Maui and patrol the beach at Kanaha.
SWEET!!! When do I leave!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 3 of 14

Jump to: