myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing Access at Kanaha Maui in Danger
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SAS

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with fxop that a full right of way discussion belongs elsewhere, including a discussion of wave riding ROW rules, which do come into play at Kanaha when there are waves.

The most important thing here is that it appears the state is taking a more practical approach to this issue by immediately addressing the issue with the kiters in one swim area while leaving the other "swim areas" to be addressed later.

We all owe a lot of thanks to Patti Cadiz and Karen Bennett for what must have been many hours of work. If any of you come to Maui and need lessons, Patti and her husband Alan own the HST windsurfing school and have an excellent group of instructors. Choosing their school would be one way of saying "thank you." (note I have no financial connection with them but did once take a class through HST from Matt Pritchard where I successfully learned how to do forward loops).
scorpionfish

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karen has also instructed out of HST. I don't know if she still does, however.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's amazing to think how much money the north shore area would have lost if the issue of shrinking access had not been addressed. i would have taken maui off my list of destinations if this issue had not been handled as well as the locals have done so far. i'm sure i'm not the only one.

dunno if everyone in the kiting community had heard about the incident several years ago about a belligerent kiter in crandon park, maimi. he violated the rules that had kept kiters from being banned there. the authorities mentioned that kiters may have lost their rights again due to his behavior. he was literally beaten by a mob. is that what it takes for kiters to understand rules?

water access issues have become quite the issue since kiting came about?

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
TheItalianJobber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fxop wrote:
Just want to thank all the locals who are putting many hours into grinding through the DLNR process to keep Kanaha accessible, especially Patti Cadiz and Karen Bennett. What can we do for them in return?fxop

Same question here: is there anything else we can do to support your action? (My daughter already takes classes w/HST, but that -I believe- is to her benefit, otherwise I wouldn't use them...)
Does the Maui Boardsailing Association raise funds to support its activity?
Nowadays there are a lot of online crowdfunding tools that can be easily adapted to collect donations.
Fred-Garvin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it looks like Steve Sadler is at it again - I received a message from a person I don't know asking for all the information I have about Steve harassing other beach users - Apparently Steve harassed this mans 75 year old father. It appears that Steve wants to see how far this can go........You would think after the last stink that he would have cooled his jets but apparently he wants the whole Kanaha beach regulated by his actions. I am just passing on the info as I know this group will be affected by Steve's actions once again.
MCDORO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Windsurfing access at kanaha Reply with quote

Fred-Garvin...
Can you give us a little more detail?
I went back about ten messages on this subject, and
found no Steve Sadler...I may have missed it.
Thanks
Fred-Garvin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCDORO -
Steve is the kiter that caused the issue at Ka'a back in May, 2013. He harassed & threatened me, my wife and our 5 year old. I have emails and videos of him threatening us so I sent his emails/videos to the DLNR and local media outlets. Since then he has continued the harassment every time we are at the beach. I don't know the person who sent me the message or what the issue is but the person refrerred to my posts regarding Steve's harassment so apparently he continues on - I just thought it was interesting to receive an email about this and thought I would share with an interested group.
daKine

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just back from six weeks of sailing(?) on Maui.
Most kiters are behaving well but some are still looking for trouble.
Almost every day at Kanaha, kiters come up to uppers and jibe just off the beach to show off.
Many of them are ignorant of the rules because they don't care.
They don't need no stinking rules.
Then there is the dumbass kiter that tried to launch at pavilions in Keihi and couldn't understand why he had to go the kite area downwind.
He got schooled by the local windsurfers.
This isn't over yet!
Most kiters are courteous watermen and women but some are thugs with a kite and need to be fixed! Twisted Evil
MCDORO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Fred Garvin...Sorry to hear about this.
I'm taking kitebooard lessons here in SoCal.
The kite schools are trying their best to get
everyone through a school...yes, there's money in
it for them, but they are truly aware of the maverick and
crazies who try to self teach, don't know any rules, and are
a black eye to watermen everywhere. The sport is a danger
to the kiters, and a danger to those around them...and the
schools are teaching that. Hope it is apparent soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
Page 14 of 14

Jump to: