myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing Access at Kanaha Maui in Danger
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SAS

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This all came about when a family complained about kiters coming into a swimming area. The kiters said they need this particular area to launch during certain wind conditions. I'm sure this is true. But, the kiters, instead of doing the right thing and trying to work it out with the swimmers, or working with the authorities to get the swimming area moved, foolishly escalated things by making it personal between them and the family. Apparently there were threats, swearing, name calling, near fights, and vandalism (the family car's tires were punctured by someone).

In contrast to this, for years windsurfers have helped maintain the buoys and lines marking the swimming area roped off near where the lifeguard station used to be. And, at times when the lines were down we let tourists know to stay out of these areas. Unfortunately the kiters don't seem to know that they and we won't get what we want by antagonizing others.

The state has now posted signs declaring some areas to be swimming areas based on laws that go back decades. This means nobody can legally launch there or come in there (especially bad if one has a break down or the wind drops).

Now we're forced to do what the kiters should have done at the start: work with the authorities to recognize the need for us to have shoreline access in particular areas, and that swimming areas can be moved to areas that don't interfere with windsport access.
johnl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep hearing stuff like this. Kiters (some of them) and their stupidity are basically biting off their own foot in terms of access. We really want to distance ourselves from them as much as possible. If they keep up with their behavior I see problems in their future with laws and restrictions that we don't want to be dragged into....
carl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"swearing, fights, vandelism"???? and at families???? That's worse than surfer "stay off my wave" idiot mentality.

The problem is these idiots may affect our access too.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a thread on ikitesurf that puts this topic in perspective. I recently saw a kiter sail into the kiddie pool at Kanaha. People were screaming at him to follow the rules. He ignored them.

Do we attack kiters, or try to work with them????

http://new.ikitesurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=24033
loosescrew

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiting, windsurfing, SUP'ing, outrigger paddling, kayaking, surfing and anything else that uses a "vessel" may soon be actively banned from launching or landing along a 3000 ft. section of Kanaha State Park (Kitebeach) also known as Ka’a Point in Maui. A vessel exclusion zone has been on the books for the last 25 years but has never been enforced, until perhaps now.

Largely due to the lobbying efforts of one parent, perhaps others disturbed about kiting activities in the Pro Point/fish pond area, this may come to pass.

More background on the current threat at: http://mauinow.com/2013/05/10/swim-zones-to-be-enforced-at-kaa-point-over-safety-concerns/

This is serious and should be of concern to any waterperson who has or wants to visit Maui at sometime in the future. Use zones can be created and enforced, there is no need for a blanket prohibition. First you need to get government's attention to take things to the point of starting negotiations hence this petition.

For now there is a petition campaign to be submitted to the Hawaiian State DIVISION OF BOATING AND OCEAN RECREATION (DOBOR) organized by Ocean Safety Alliance, https://www.facebook.com/oceansafetyalliance

Titled: "State DOBOR Hawaii: Please protect ocean access at Kanaha Beach. Change the outdated rules to reflect the current use."

It takes very little time to sign the petition, please help to keep this unique spot open to all these water interests now and into the future.
Thank you!
loopless

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a google search on "Maui kiters Kanaha family feud" .. it's a pretty hot topic.
loosescrew

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
There is a thread on ikitesurf that puts this topic in perspective. I recently saw a kiter sail into the kiddie pool at Kanaha. People were screaming at him to follow the rules. He ignored them.

Do we attack kiters, or try to work with them????

http://new.ikitesurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=24033

There is more to it than just the kiters. The most important part of this whole mess is that WE all need to work in harmony whether you are a kiter, windsurfer, SUP'er, surfer, swimmer to show our respect for one another and sharing the ocean. The Governor is now involved with this situation and at this level, you're signing the petition will hopefully make an impact on his decision. There are many complaints from fisherman and picnic users at the park that the windsurfers take up too much space with gear and monopolize the whole park. Just say'n that it is not all the fault of the kiters. We are working with the Mayor for his support. Please do not make all blame on the kiters as this is the wrong attitude and not the whole story. These types of comments are NOT an example of unity.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is why I asked the question, "do we attack kiters, or try to work with them"?

However, they are the most visible offender and most visual activity. I've never seen an SUP paddle by with their middle finger raised.
SAS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand where stevenbard comes from, since a number of kiters are total a-holes on the water. These are the ones who steal right of way, don't want to share space, don't cede ground when they don't have the right of way, try jumps too close to you, ride a wave in a way that one kiter goes so rapidly down the line that nobody else can ride that wave, try to pass dangerously directly upwind of you, etc.

But this isn't all of them, and some of my best friends switched from windsurfing to kiting and I go out with them and share space easily.

In this case I believe our goals are similar enough that we need to be allies, since we both want water access on the same stretch of coastline where the law that is an issue applies to both of us.

What I don't want is any changes that give them greater access to launching at areas of Kanaha other than the areas that they currently use. The current system keeps them separated from us for the most part, and I don't want anything that decreases this separation.
madmax7

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started windsurfing in the late 80's

I started kiting about 5 years ago

I do not understand the opinion that some w surfers have about kiters, like we most of us are asshole rude condescending idiots!

Reality is we need to stick together and not point fingers, but coexist! Specially in this issue! We need each other!

Understand this, kiting is a new sport, and extreme, and unfortunately open to all egos. BUT remember there was a time when Wsurfers egos were out of control, I can share stories of Asshole windsurfers, of course today as we ve aged we have learned and teach young Wsurfers (if there are any ) how to behave!

Same will happen in kiting community, I guess we are paying the dues of a few ignorant egos, and kiters are trying to learn how to deal w these pricks! Trust me we as kiters are concerned about these issues!

BUT for now, please let's unite and deal with this issue together and get all your friends to sign petition!

The person that is trying to shut us down is totally unreasonable! Last time I was in Maui Wsurfing w Gfriend (yes I still occasionally do it) he and his family were over in WSurf pool area, upwind of it pushing his kids and putting in the way of Wsurfers coming in!

I watched him put his kid in the Way of my GF coming in while he stood on shore w a stick. And he started walking toward her to have a word about her coming close to his kid! I ran down the beach and when he noticed he backed up away from her and back towards dry shore!

Don't know guys agenda, but please let's work together and keep Maui open for everyone to enjoy!

Max
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 2 of 14

Jump to: