myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
sail size advice
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KevinDo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lenthomas wrote:
One more quick question guys. And sorry if I am asking too many. I know this probably should be a new thread. My Fanatic Ultra Shark 291 ( 125 L) is in good to fair condition. I have an opportunity to purchase an old Mistral Screamer CHS ( 103 Liter I believe) in good condition for 50.00. Do you think I would still be able to uphaul the Screamer until I learn to water start? And would you consider the screamer an upgrade, downgrade or just even in performance? Thanks so much, you have all been a tremendous help. Cheers, Len

103L in my honest opinion, might be difficult to learn on. At your weight/my weight, you can uphaul on it but wouldn't be fun to if you are new to it! Just my .02cents! Feel free to disagree gents!

-Kevin

dllee

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

125 for light winds.
103 for winds of 15-26 mph.
That said, Shark was an excellent board with huge wind range.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lenthomas wrote:
One more quick question guys. And sorry if I am asking too many. I know this probably should be a new thread. My Fanatic Ultra Shark 291 ( 125 L) is in good to fair condition. I have an opportunity to purchase an old Mistral Screamer CHS ( 103 Liter I believe) in good condition for 50.00. Do you think I would still be able to uphaul the Screamer until I learn to water start? And would you consider the screamer an upgrade, downgrade or just even in performance? Thanks so much, you have all been a tremendous help. Cheers, Len

1. Ask questions here until the end of time. That's what the forum is for.
2. It is unlikely you'll be able to dependably uphaul the Screamer given your current skill level. It's possible, but you'll be struggling and sometimes floundering.
3. A downgrade.
4. Consider putting that money towards a better sail.

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$50 for a board in sailing condition is pretty cheap, but you will be getting what you pay for, at 103L it will allow you to sail in much stronger wind with smaller sails. the Mistral is what a 1992.. ??

the Shark should be 59cm wide the Mistral should be 56cm , not a large spread just over 1/2" on each side.

the uphaul question is really a ? back , on how well you uphaul the Shark,
I don't think it would be a big difference.

the performance ? in comparison they are kinda different so apples to oranges, the smaller will be more maneuverable and handle higher wind.

The Mistral would be a better platform to learn water starting on between these 2.

I would say pass on this Mistral, I don't see any advantage to add to the quiver.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing about the Mistral Screamer is that it would be a very durable board, so it would hold up well for someone getting into planing, rougher water conditions and waterstarts. However, given the fact that you're only 135lbs, the Screamer is still a fairly good sized board that will allow uphauling if you're able to comfortably balance in choppier water.

The one thing to confirm is whether it has a more standard mast track, or a aluminum one with an adjustable car assembly. The latter normally uses a universal with a more unique Mistral pin, but it should also accept a universal with a thread bolt (less the threaded fastener). The aluminum one can also fail a lot easier, because of problems with the adjustable car assembly and its sliding components. If the board has the standard glassed-in mast track similar to the Fanatic, you should not have a problem.

Lastly, depending on the boards age, the finbox can either be aluminum or glassed-in. Both should be a US A style design, but I think maybe the latest models might have a Powerbox cavity style design.

For $50, its hard to go wrong, and you might really like the board. The Screamer was an excellent shape that has a lot of range. It's heaviness calms things down, but it still can be quick when powered up.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The screamer will be a good higher wind board for 15-25+ that you should also be able to uphaul without too much of a problem if the wind drops off. I weigh 150 and can easily uphaul on an 85 litre board. If it is in good condition I think it well worth the money.

Yes there are better more modern shapes that will make things a bit easier, but I hear where you are coming from. I have gotten by on "outdated obsolete equipment" for decades, and have had just as much fun sailing as anyone else.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slinky re uphauling…you’ve been sailing for decades, so I think your ability to uphaul the 85 is not the same as lenthomas. I’m 165 and found myself uphauling on a 77 liter a few days ago. I can do it…but I’ve been at this for 22 years.

Given the original post of the thread, in which he’s looking to buy a $100 sail as he gets back into windsurfing in 8-16 knots, I think if his budget is $150 he’s better off spending it on a better sail than trying to eek out a sail and a board. It’s still going to be older gear. His sailing conditions don’t cry out for a smaller board the way they do for a basic sail quiver.

Last edited by PeconicPuffin on Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
lenthomas

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had a choice I would want a newer more modern board. Very wide. Say maybe even 90-100 cm. And some day I will. This guy has now reduced the price of the screamer to 40.00. If it were mint I would have already jumped all over it just to have such an iconic board. In reality, I guess I should spend the money on something more useful to me right now. No offense to the screamer, in its time it was a bad ass board.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lenthomas wrote:
If I had a choice I would want a newer more modern board. Very wide. Say maybe even 90-100 cm. And some day I will. This guy has now reduced the price of the screamer to 40.00. If it were mint I would have already jumped all over it just to have such an iconic board. In reality, I guess I should spend the money on something more useful to me right now. No offense to the screamer, in its time it was a bad ass board.

Here's an idea for you: Get some money together for a windsurfing clinic in the Spring, in Hatteras. They can tune up the skills you used to have, teach you those you never had, show you how to dial in your gear, let you try out all sorts of boards and sails to see what works best for you. There's also loads of used gear on the Outer Banks for you to pick from.

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lenthomas wrote:

90--100 cm wide is formula board territory, the newer say 125iter boards Tabou Rocket rx, are 69cm wide, 10cm or 2" more on the sides than the Fanatic.

mint 1990s boards are still a 1990s board

Puffin IMO has the answers, put the $ into a sail, and perhaps a lesson in OBX.

The harness issues will have overtones, it all works together. If the lines are too short, you can't weight the harness so well, if the BOOM is too low same, too high , normally you cant get in without tilting back the sail and powered up. The position of the mast in the track, will/may have a little bearing.

The money issue for gear is not anything unique to you. Each have their own parameters for spending, kids...et all

If the local tire store were selling old stock tires at a fantastic price, but the size don't fit your fleet, do you by them ?

If 6 months from now you MAY think " I regret now NOT getting that ICONIC $40 Mistral "

I like treating myself good, so get it, you will sail it

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: