myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Shark bites Kanaha Kiter
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shreddbob

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:
The really dangerous ones are Great White and Bull, but apparently the others don't read the same books.

Around Cape Cod the Great Whites have gotten a lot of publicity in recent years. Just before they became popular I was eyed by one. I was windsurfing at the Chatham Cut. Only a few others out, and none near me when this big dorsal fin crossed behind me. I was just inside the break and on a slow plane. This big thing then came up alongside me, about 20 feet away, and tilted its head out of the water to get a look at me. I could see one big dark eye. We each looked at the other a moment, then he abruptly turned and left, flashing his white belly. It happened so quickly I didn't even have time to be frightened. I was not down in the water and had decent wind so I was more in wonder than fear. Spooky Shocked I estimate he was at least 12 feet. I was thinking at the time it might have been a harmless basking shark. We see those all the time on the other side, in Cape Cod Bay.

Nobody was even thinking about Great White sharks around there until the next year, so I wasn't hyper sensitized to them...I just kept sailing. I wasn't sure what I'd seen. After I got home I looked up some pictures and then knew what it was. I suppose it was inevitable that Great Whites would start hanging around this area eventually. The seal population started exploding in the decades following the Blizzard of '78 when the first cut was made in the outer beach. (There are two more cuts now, and the seals just keep multiplying!)

I've since learned that adult Great Whites are the only known shark species to eye potential prey like this. I'm glad this one was smart enough to distinguish me from his normal seal prey! I've read it's often the juvenile Great Whites that take exploratory bites.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that read like a page from a novel..I was intrigued by it

never had any sharkesodes , while snorkeling in the Caribbean my first encounter with a Barracuda , I recall seeing him watching me, just moving enough to remain stationary in the current, and I realized he HAD been watching for some time...

when we enter the water we are no longer on the top of the food chain

I use the shark tracker, and several Great Whites are tagged , that go from the Cape to Florida, and never considered how close in they go around Hatteras

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
combs

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As one of my favorite authors, Hunter S. Thompson stated:

"It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top."
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

combs wrote:
As one of my favorite authors, Hunter S. Thompson stated:

"It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top."

could not remember the quote author, thanks.

His send off in ASPEN was a momentous event with a cannon shooting his remains into the air.

shreddbob

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:
that read like a page from a novel..I was intrigued by it

My 10th grade English teacher, Ms Pesci, would be proud Cool

...except for the places where conjunctions or prepositions start sentences...ok, ok, red marks everywhere (it's all coming back to me)...good narrative but grammar needs work she'd be saying...
http://www.spwickstrom.com/prepositions/
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as to during my 10th grade English class throughout ,instead of using my time wisely, by the time of respecting Molly Comforts teaching ,pending my failing, underneath it all, I focused more so on Eileen Munson.

8v8r c t3os8 things wri118n weird , that ma58 s8ns8
me
n81t38r

keycocker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw some studies done in the nuke biz that showed warm water from the outlets established a food chain in that area.
There is usually a lot more fish around tne outlets, and guys get fired for fishing there.

Is the water from the sewer plants one or two degrees warmer than mean sea temp?
If that chart show nitrogen from algal blooms there would be a localized food chain in those spots from that bloom.
shreddbob

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That coral reef study: http://coralreefecology.ucsd.edu/files/2010/09/Dailer_et-al_2010_MPB.pdf
mentions on page 12 "multiple algal species were blooming at the Kahului WWRF [waste water reclamation facility], Kite Beach and Keawakapu BP."

Also: "The percentage of reused effluent over the same time frame for the Lahaina, Kihei and Kahului WWRFs was 21%, 33% and 6%, respec- tively (Fig. 7)...fine-scale mapping surveys along the coastline in areas of high recreational uses and heavy algal d15N signatures at Kahekili BP and Kalama BP [near Kihei WWRF] revealed consistent results that waste- water effluent was present in the coastal environment in both areas of the WWRFs with Class V injection wells...Sewage effluent can be successfully disinfected with ultraviolet light (UV, 254 nm) irra- diation which kills more than 99% of coliform, fecal coliform, fecal streptococci and heterotrophic bacteria (Oliver and Cosgrove, 1975). In 2008, the Lahaina WWRF processed an average of 3.4 mil- lion gallons of effluent daily. This facility has the ability to disinfect less than half of the effluent daily with UV radiation; the remaining effluent is not disinfected and is directed to the injection wells [which seep into the sea]."

And from here:
http://www.seaworld.org/animal-info/info-books/sea-turtle/diet.htm
"Green sea turtles have finely serrated jaws adapted for a vegetarian diet of sea grasses and algae. As adults, these are the only herbivorous sea turtles."

And finally from here: http://www.mauinews.com/page/content.detail/id/565545/Hawaii-green-sea-turtle-status-to-be-reviewed.html
"Hawaii's green sea turtle population has been growing at an annual rate of 5.7 percent for the last three decades." This means their population has more than doubled in the past 30 years!

So...Putting it all together, the waste water discharges increase the nitrogen, which causes algal blooms that then attract lots of turtles. And guess who likes to eat turtles! I have noticed lots more turtles in the water at Kanaha recently compared to say 10 years ago.

Last edited by shreddbob on Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
shreddbob

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:

8v8r c t3os8 things wri118n weird , that ma58 s8ns8
me
n81t38r

U2^3, are you chewing on your keyboard again?!...or do thoughts of 16 y.o. Eileen turn your brain to mush?

Last edited by shreddbob on Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keycocker wrote:
I saw some studies done in the nuke biz that showed warm water from the outlets established a food chain in that area.
There is usually a lot more fish around tne outlets, and guys get fired for fishing there.

Is the water from the sewer plants one or two degrees warmer than mean sea temp?
If that chart show nitrogen from algal blooms there would be a localized food chain in those spots from that bloom.

It would almost have to be warmer. It sits in tanks in the hot sun baking all day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: